Low In High School: What do you think of it?

To longtimers here...this is my first experience here when a new album drops. Is it always this polarizing or is this unique? I'm still digesting the album. Too soon to give a verdict. It's not bubblegum, It's deeper so I think it takes time to absorb. There's no way it's his "worst album" as some are histrionically belching. Some folks are so eager to see Moz kill his career they are embarrassing themselves with this silliness.

It's always quite polarising but never this polarising. The same goes for the reviews in the media. Today, the Times gave it 1/5 and the Telegraph gave it 4/5. I don't think I've ever known any album to get such widely varying scores.
Yes, a lot of people round here do genuinely hate Morrissey, a man who, ultimately, is just a pop star. There are a few pop stars who I have similar feelings towards but, the difference is, I wouldn't waste a single second of my spare time following or discussing them on their websites. You've got to pity these clowns really. The amount of time they've spent on the website of a pop star they hate will surely be a major deathbed regret.

I've listened 3 times via Spotify which is enough to form an opinion.

What was most telling, for me, was at the end of each listen to the album Spotify popped up There Is A Light, The More You Ignore Me and then First of the Gang.

OK these are exceptional songs by anyone's standards (even if I'm not a massive fan of two of them). Nothing on this album approaches their quality.

What equally galling is I quite like Spent The Day In Bed hence the album is, for me, a disappointment. Remember the days when Morrissey used to release the weaker tracks as singles?

My nightmare became reality.

This morning I saw Japanese edition copies in pop-up shop.
Japanese title of I Bury the Living is totally atrocious!

Who actually translate it so wrong?
Why proof-reader didn't correct it?

Living wo maiso suru? I couldn't help complaining it to one of the staff members.

It should be either "Seisha or Ikimono wo maiso suru", not literal English word.

That 2 minute outro in I Bury the Living is brilliant, the music feels very Viva Hate-ish. What a shame that the previous 5 minutes doesn't do it justice. It sums up the album for me, flashes of brilliance amongst...well, stuff that's very forgettable. I think at this stage in his career, I would've been happy for 3 or 4 good songs, and I certainly got that. So I can't really complain, I suppose.

The most striking thing for me about this album though is that there isn't a lyric I've heard that's really struck me as brilliant. Even on some of his worst songs, you were always bound to hear something witty or clever or thought-provoking. The lyrics seem really lazy now. He seems to just repeat a lot of lines, and it comes across as more that he couldn't think of anything else to say than that he wants to emphasise for effect. I don't think the Morrissey of old would have been so blunt on I Bury the Living, for example. His lyrics have lost their subtlety and I think the songs suffer as a result.

Well, I'm late to the party on this thread but I finally listened to the entire album. I was pleasantly surprised - it works well as an album. Overall I liked WPINOYB and based on the live versions did not think LIHS would be better. With more listens I can see liking LIHS more - or viewing it as stronger than WPINOYB.

On another note, I wish the tour had started after the album release. I think he played too many new (unreleased) songs at HB night one and frankly, some of them did not do the recorded versions justice.

From now on every line on every album should be in all languages there are to prevent people feeling discriminated against. And of course it should be in Braille too. Don’t know about people who are deaf or can’t hear the music.
Don't encourage Morrissey. He repeats his lines enough as it is lately!

Some folks are so eager to see Moz kill his career they are embarrassing themselves with this silliness.

Completely to the contrary. I'm eager for him to stop killing his career. No doubt that he's driven more away than he has attracted in recent years. To say otherwise is to ignore the obvious. He seems ambivalent to it at best, deluded at worst. There's obvious Yes-men antics at play.

My nightmare became reality.

This morning I saw Japanese edition copies in pop-up shop.
Japanese title of I Bury the Living is totally atrocious!

Who actually translate it so wrong?
Why proof-reader didn't correct it?

Living wo maiso suru? I couldn't help complaining it to one of the staff members.

It should be either "Seisha or Ikimono wo maiso suru", not literal English word.

Oh, the humanity!

That 2 minute outro in I Bury the Living is brilliant, the music feels very Viva Hate-ish. What a shame that the previous 5 minutes doesn't do it justice. It sums up the album for me, flashes of brilliance amongst...well, stuff that's very forgettable. I think at this stage in his career, I would've been happy for 3 or 4 good songs, and I certainly got that. So I can't really complain, I suppose.

The most striking thing for me about this album though is that there isn't a lyric I've heard that's really struck me as brilliant. Even on some of his worst songs, you were always bound to hear something witty or clever or thought-provoking. The lyrics seem really lazy now. He seems to just repeat a lot of lines, and it comes across as more that he couldn't think of anything else to say than that he wants to emphasise for effect. I don't think the Morrissey of old would have been so blunt on I Bury the Living, for example. His lyrics have lost their subtlety and I think the songs suffer as a result.

There’s not as many clever lyrics and there sure isn’t as many subtle lyrics but I think there were some very good lines with some good word choices. The opening line to my love is great imo as well as the opening line to atyp where I think it’s opening brashness worked well for it. Spent the day had some good humorous lines and I wish you lonely was very good lyrically with its images of lone whales

I could listen to the last 2 minutes of 'I bury the living' on a loop for hours. So beautiful. The intro music's not bad either. I was a bit concerned when it was compared to the 'I'm not a Man' intro but it's much more listenable.

I'm very surprised by how many people have complained a out the line "wrap your legs around my face just to greet me"

To me that is the most Morrissey line in the whole album. Here is this really lovely rather sad serious piece and smack dab in the middle of the climax he throws that howler. It is so him. Truthfully it is my favorite moment in the whole album

I'm very surprised by how many people have complained a out the line "wrap your legs around my face just to greet me"

To me that is the most Morrissey line in the whole album. Here is this really lovely rather sad serious piece and smack dab in the middle of the climax he throws that howler. It is so him. Truthfully it is my favorite moment in the whole album

I agree. It’s such an arching longing song and this kinda cheeky humorous but probably truthful line comes out of nowhere and I find it very endearing. It adds to the vulnerability of the song with its un self concious goofiness. An unabashed heart on sleeve moment

There’s not as many clever lyrics and there sure isn’t as many subtle lyrics but I think there were some very good lines with some good word choices. The opening line to my love is great imo as well as the opening line to atyp where I think it’s opening brashness worked well for it. Spent the day had some good humorous lines and I wish you lonely was very good lyrically with its images of lone whales

Yeah, I agree. Particularly with My Love and I Wish You Lonely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no good lines. There's no line that jumps out at me though, and makes me think "wow, that's brilliant". Which is unusual for a new Morrissey album. Perhaps it's because he's set the bar so high.

There's a lot of duff lines in there that grate, however. The repetition of "that's not the job I loved", "Venezuela" etc. I really hate the line "presidents come, presidents go, and nobody remembers their name two weeks after they go." Ehm, yes they do...

I could listen to the last 2 minutes of 'I bury the living' on a loop for hours. So beautiful. The intro music's not bad either. I was a bit concerned when it was compared to the 'I'm not a Man' intro but it's much more listenable.

Yes, the slight issue is those 4 minutes between the intro and the outro.

There's a lot of duff lines in there that grate, however. The repetition of "that's not the job I loved", "Venezuela" etc. I really hate the line "presidents come, presidents go, and nobody remembers their name two weeks after they go." Ehm, yes they do...

Yeah I'd agree with all of those.

Totally agree. I smiled to myself when I first heard it live.

I really hate the line "presidents come, presidents go, and nobody remembers their name two weeks after they go." Ehm, yes they do...

I had to go back about 80 years before my memory got fuzzy. Some of them were fairly impossible to forget.

I agree. It’s such an arching longing song and this kinda cheeky humorous but probably truthful line comes out of nowhere and I find it very endearing. It adds to the vulnerability of the song with its un self concious goofiness. An unabashed heart on sleeve moment

And it harkens back to many stories in his songs
.. after longing for home and finding peace there is somebody there wanting something, demanding pleasure, not waiting there to please...

Idk I think it is a stunning line that is 100% what people were longing for as far as classic writing is concerned

And it harkens back to many stories in his songs
.. after longing for home and finding peace there is somebody there wanting something, demanding pleasure, not waiting there to please...

Idk I think it is a stunning line that is 100% what people were longing for as far as classic writing is concerned

It's the best song in the album by a country mile, and the only one that gets anywhere near the level he used to reach effortlessly in years gone by.

Back
Top Bottom