Low In High School: What do you think of it?

On first listen:

My love - 8/10 powerful, intense.
I Wish you - 8/10 no slowing down.
Jacky - 9/10 venomous, immediate.
Home - 9/10 classic Morrissey.
Spent - 7/10 A nice ditty.
I Bury - 6/10 bits of everything good and bad.
In your lap - 5/10 plodding and would be better without lyrics.
The girl from - 1/10 corny, I would be embarrassed to play to others.
All the young - 6/10 dampened studio cut. A shame.
When you open - 8/10 stayed in my head and great tune.
Who will protect - 6/10 interesting and fresh but lacking in depth.
Israel - 9/10 beautiful sound, beautiful delivery, lyrics haven't sunk in yet.

As an album 7/10. Generally good production. Voice is fantastic. Lyrics are hit and miss. The lows and highs are very low and very high within Low in High School.

It beats most things in life though...

my love i would do anything for you /// 7
i wish you lonely /// 8
jacky’s only happy /// 7
home is a question mark /// 9
spent the day in bed /// 5
I bury the living /// 8
in your lap /// 7
the girl from tel aviv /// 7
all the young people must /// 6
when you open your legs /// 7
who will protect us from the police /// 4
israel /// 6

6.75/10

its decent of course. The production is slick, but ultimately a little flat, muted in places and rigid compared to the live versions, lyrically its not very good at all in many places. I can't relate to him anymore. But its not crap by any means. Will i be playing it in a years time....probably not! just another album to throw into the collection. I would say the reviews have been understandable to be fair. None the less ill be there in aberdeen and london next year!

PEOPLE the ALBUM is SUPER BEST!!! its INTENSE VENEMOUS!! BEAUTY DELIVERY BEAUTY SOUND!
YES people now BUY BUY NO STREAM THE SPOTIFY NO BUY the CD and VINYL and DOWNLOADS!! The NO 1 charts for MOZ!!!! YES NO 1 for MOZ!!!

Some stream of consciousness type stuff:

Not listened to the thing as a cohesive piece just yet, but 'I Bury the Living' sounds like a pretty bad Scott Walker parody in places.

Also, the music used to be subtle, now it's either in your face like hands made of gammon, or overly happy to denote happy.

In Your Lap isn't as bad as people say.

Agree on the lyrics.

Who Will Protect us could be an outtake from Bowie's Never Let Me Down.

the albums IS 10! PEOPLE ban the bad fake anons making bad reviews!!! NOT READ their bad words!!
anons are bad people and very crazy. they names they write are FAKE! MOZ good, bowie NOT good.

the albums IS 10! PEOPLE ban the bad fake anons making bad reviews!!! NOT READ their bad words!!
anons are bad people and very crazy. they names they write are FAKE! MOZ good, bowie NOT good.

MOZ great, Bowie great. You big fibber!!!

I quite like the really misanthropic stuff. I thought Kick The Bride Down the Aisle was one of the best songs on the last album. I don't think you should read Moz's songs as manifestos, more his private, subjective thoughts made public. Also, I know we need a professional army but who in their right mind would join the UK or US armed forces nowadays? It's a joke that it's called the Ministry of Defence - when was the last time we (the UK) did any defending? WW2? All we do bomb the middle-east whenever we're worried about oil prices going up...

Aaaanyway, decent album: Home is a Question Mark is a masterpiece, In Your Lap is awful, Israel is misunderstood.

So -
As with WP I have allowed myself no previews. I will be listening to all twelve tracks for the first time tonight. I see that I am in a unique position to expose my self to the worst of it first and save the best for last. Thinking about listening to Tha track list backwards -- that ought to get the questionable stuff out of the way - and finish w/ MLIDAFY.
I truly believe the method of exposure to the material has long term effects on how a record ultimately sits...
Thoughts?

So -
As with WP I have allowed myself no previews. I will be listening to all twelve tracks for the first time tonight. I see that I am in a unique position to expose my self to the worst of it first and save the best for last. Thinking about listening to Tha track list backwards -- that ought to get the questionable stuff out of the way - and finish w/ MLIDAFY.
I truly believe the method of exposure to the material has long term effects on how a record ultimately sits...
Thoughts?

I think the track sequence can greatly effect how the songs hit you especially on first listens. It’s complex though

I gave in and listened...

Needless to say that the first five songs are very cohesive - Home is a Question Mark is possibly my favourite song since Life is a Pigsty, Jacky is great, and Spent the Day is his best single since You Have Killed me

Throughout the album there are flashes of everything we love and loath about Morrissey, and I think I Bury the Living epitomises this with "funny how the war goes on...without our John". How can such spiteful lyrics sung so perfectly sound so beautiful? The contrast that this ending brings completely characterizes modern Morrissey for me.

I can live without hearing Who Will Protect Us From the Police ever again, it offered me nothing, but it's safe to say that the album offers a lot without being a great.

(Side note: is the music for In Your Lap the same piano piece which has been used as an introduction to songs live in concert for a few years now? )

After multiple listens, I think parts of it are very much the Morrissey of old and parts of it are very much a new Morrissey I'd like to hear more out of. The weakest thing about the album are the lyrics and themes he chose to write about.

How many songs need to be about the Middle East, really? Four on one album is too many...I'm not even sure what the Middle East has to do with some of these songs anyway. I could have done without the "Ven-e-zue-la!" outro as well.

Honestly, I'd kill for an album that has the beauty of the outro of "I Bury The Living"...his voice, the melody, the guitar...it's perfect.

Simply as an album it flows much better than World Peace, but like many have said there is a clear difference between the consistency of the first five tracks and the rest. I Bury the Living is a cruder version of Kate Bush’s Pull Out the Pin from The Dreaming. In Your Lap is thematically identical to When You Open Your Legs but far more dull, and that and The Girl from Tel-Aviv are both too long and energy-sapping. Things pick up with All the Youngsters and Open Your Legs, though the former is a little limp after hearing the live version. Who Will Protect Us is surprisingly good until Morrissey decides to limit the message by yelling Venezuela at the end. And Israel will take some thinking about.

It will obviously take many more listens to fully soak it in, but first impressions are of an improvement upon World Peace. But even if not every track is successful, Morrissey and the band have produced one of his most experimental works yet and deserve to be acknowledged for that.

So -
Thoughts?
I fully agree

Not sure I can forgive Joe Chiccarelli for making such a mess of All the Young People Must Fall in Love. That had the potential to sound really good, I thought. Definitely one of the album's more skippable tracks for me now.

I Bury the Living is frustrating. I love the last 2 mins, but that section feels tacked on clumsily to the rest of the song. Not a fan of the wailing just prior to it, about it not being a job he loved.

I don't mind Morrissey being political, even when it's views I don't necessarily align with (I'm looking at you, 'Israel'), but I wish he could be a bit more subtle sometimes. I think the I Bury the Living lyrics would've been more effective a message if he'd been less blunt. Sometimes less is more.

Agree with everyone about the album starting really strongly and going downhill in the second half. Israel is a great closer though.

Back
Top Bottom