Low In High School: What do you think of it?

im actually trying not to listen to it too much or you end up with the inevitable burn out,world peace did me a whole year till I got to that point and I'm sure high school will be the same.i still cant fathom why most people don't like WHO WILL PROTECT,i love it and the synth really drives the song forward.

im actually trying not to listen to it too much or you end up with the inevitable burn out,world peace did me a whole year till I got to that point and I'm sure high school will be the same.i still cant fathom why most people don't like WHO WILL PROTECT,i love it and the synth really drives the song forward.
I find it unfathomable also.

Just given it a listen for the first time in a few weeks and I’m pleased to say it’s holding up well to these ears. Yes there is some overindulgence in production and song length, but that is compensated for by this being Morrissey’s most lyrically cohesive album since Vauxhall & I.

Every song in Low in High School is an indictment on the forces of oppression (the media, military, police, work, religion, politicians) and an appeal to individual freedom. Morrissey has an extreme view on human responsibility; entertainment singers, diligent workers and soldiers are satirised and condemned in equal measure and held accountable for their actions.

Whilst this can appear harsh, it is only because his focus is not on the institutions of oppression but the power and potential of the individual to resist them, like Spent the Day’s workshy narrator, the Girl From Tel Aviv and the last humpbacked whale. The overall message of the album is, for Morrissey, surprisingly positive, a call to live as you wish, fall in love and “love yourself as you should”.

At the very least Moz has not gone for the album of American standards, the usual recourse for aging pop stars.
Whether one likes the new album or not he cannot be accused of laziness or falling back on tried and tested formulae.

I'm intrigued do you actually listen to any other albums as much as you persevere with a poor Morrissey one? Or do you actually listen to any other albums?

I'm intrigued do you actually listen to any other albums as much as you persevere with a poor Morrissey one? Or do you actually listen to any other albums?
Hi Bluebirds,
Thank you for your attention to my listening pleasure.
But why?

Hi Bluebirds,
Thank you for your attention to my listening pleasure.
But why?

Well I listened to 3 albums today, all released this year, that I personally think are far far superior to the Morrissey album. It seems like a lot of people who have seen the light with LIHS have listened intently to it for days on end. It's wilfully self-perverse, like General Noriega volunteering to be bombarded with shit rock music continuously for days on end. In my opinion.

Well I listened to 3 albums today, all released this year, that I personally think are far far superior to the Morrissey album. It seems like a lot of people who have seen the light with LIHS have listened intently to it for days on end. It's wilfully self-perverse, like General Noriega volunteering to be bombarded with shit rock music continuously for days on end. In my opinion.
The album sounded great to me from the get-go and has only improved with every listen. It’s one of my most favourite Morrissey albums ever. One thing you do learn with age is “each to their own” and if you think it’s a load of bollocks then your opinion is just as valid as mine. That is the subjective nature of art.

What other albums do you rate that have been released this year?

I really liked ‘Melodrama’ by Lorde, I thought that was a fantastic record. I’ve heard bits and pieces of Khalid this year which I enjoyed as well.

People like different stuff.
It's hard but we have to live with it.
Personally I just think it's great that people still get excited by music.
The jerks are the ones who think they know better.

Just curious to know which were the 3 albums released in 2017 that, in your opinion, were far more superior than “Low In High-School?”

Look on the thread under other music. The three I listened to today were Jane Weaver, Slowdive and Washed Out

I really liked ‘Melodrama’ by Lorde, I thought that was a fantastic record. I’ve heard bits and pieces of Khalid this year which I enjoyed as well.

I've heard very encouraging reports about this Lorde album - I'll definitely give it a go.

Look on the thread under other music. The three I listened to today were Jane Weaver, Slowdive and Washed Out
I've listened a couple of tracks by those artists.
You're right. Really great.
Jane Weaver is f***ing mighty.
Sincerely, Ta!
But I feel I should engage over this stuff about album A being 'superior' to album B.
I do not see it a competition.
Do I think Bach's Tocatta and Fugue 'superior' to Lady Gaga's Pocket Face?
Well, one would suppose so but how is that measured.
More importantly, why bother with the question?
Anyway, who are we, mere meaty growths, slavering around what provisions those above us excrete from on high (I speak for myself ofcourse), to decide what's superior.
The really good stuff lasts and the rest do not.
We should just sit back and drink it in.
NB Maybe I should listen to more stuff.

Last edited:
I've listened a couple of tracks by those artists.
You're right. Really great.
Jane Weaver is f***ing mighty.
Sincerely, Ta!
But I feel I should engage over this stuff about album A being 'superior' to album B.
Its not a competition.
Anyway, who are we, mere meaty growths, slavering around what provisions those above us excrete from on high (I speak for myself ofcourse), to decide what's superior.
The really good stuff lasts and the rest do not.
We should just sit back and drink it in.

Well thanks for taking the time to listen to a few of the tracks of those albums I mentioned. I'd heartily recommend Jane Weaver - proof that an artist can improve with age.

I'm just disappointed about Morrissey's new album and can't see how people can say it's decent (well everything from I Bury the Living onwards, although The Girl From Tel Aviv and All the Young People are passable). I think this disappointment stems from my opinion that Spent the Day In Bed is one of the best pop songs he has done in aeons and I thought the preview songs were genuinely interesting.
Perhaps I should listen (yet) again as his verbal diaorrhea in interviews doesn't really bother me that much but life is too short, the Ashes are on and the cat is f***ing starving.

Well thanks for taking the time to listen to a few of the tracks of those albums I mentioned. I'd heartily recommend Jane Weaver - proof that an artist can improve with age.

I'm just disappointed about Morrissey's new album and can't see how people can say it's decent (well everything from I Bury the Living onwards, although The Girl From Tel Aviv and All the Young People are passable). I think this disappointment stems from my opinion that Spent the Day In Bed is one of the best pop songs he has done in aeons and I thought the preview songs were genuinely interesting.
Perhaps I should listen (yet) again as his verbal diaorrhea in interviews doesn't really bother me that much but life is too short, the Ashes are on and the cat is f***ing starving.
Get off the f***ing net and feed the cat for crying out loud!
Listen, there are people out there who like Cliff Richard (also for crying out loud!).

great album, i think he's right at his peak. This is the best album he's done, maybe second best. Home is a question mark, TGFTAWWK (what a voice!!!), When you open.., Israel....ATYP.. superb. Great to see Morrissey back to his best. 9.5 out of 10. Love the fact he continues to speak his mind. Press will always try to misquote him but he's way above all that. Absolute genius of an album. The Keats of his day. If every generation could be guaranteed one Morrissey.... love you Moz

Back
Top Bottom