"Low In High School" review by Wyndham Wallace (4/5 stars) in Classic Pop Mag, Long Live Vinyl

This news seems to have got lost/buried in another thread but it's pretty significant. It's the 4th proper published review of the album, and it's been given 4 stars. We now have a 2 star (edit, actually 5/10 so would be 2.5 stars), 3 star and two 4 star reviews.
This means that the first 2 star review is likely to be an outlier, and the album will probably do reasonably well, critically.
The review reads much like the other three. Really good music but pretty patchy lyrics ('graceless clunkers'). It singles out the 'vivid violin line' in Israel, and My Love is described as 'unquestionably thrilling heavy-footed glam stomp'. Jacky and All the Young People are not mentioned, and Girl from Tel Aviv is described as a 'tango'. Elsewhere in the mag, Spent the Day gets reviewed in the singles section. An 'absolute gem - scathing, poetic, droll, deep.'

Scan posted by an anonymous person (original post):

41145_lihs_classicpop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the same. He's quite funny. Art-Hounds has to be one of his funniest. I mean, he stuck a dick joke/insult in there! Twice! :)

"Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
And below the belt is shriveled and small
It functions only as a word
Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
And below the belt is shriveled and small
It knows a thousand woes"

Art Hounds is terrible. Catty, clunky lyrics that are anything but witty, and I still have no idea what set him off on that particular tirade. It was just more Morrissey whipping out his mean girl spirit.

Also, I can't believe a reviewer just described "Spent The Day In Bed" as deep, and poetic.

He didn't even review what is probably the best song on the album which is Jackie. The rest so far sound like he's struggling to find vocal melodies to fit these long, drawn out phrases that he still tries to yodel his way through. Gone are the consistent, tight vocal lines of the past.

This review is another example of why music journalists are the biggest hacks. They usually don't understand the subjects they are examining. Most of them don't even have musical training which makes their insight about as meaningful as a kid who has only eaten McDonalds his entire life reviewing a five star meal: "Not enough sugar. Needs more salt. Also, I wasn't served ketchup with my steak?"

Acton tried, but found he couldn't do.

#WillISeeYou

:eurocastle:

I think the lyrics to Art Hounds are excrementally crap, and on a par with the hellish 'Sweetie Pie'. The lyrics feel forced to me and don't fit the music. To me its like he couldn't be arsed to even switch his brain on for those songs.

Art Hounds is terrible. Catty, clunky lyrics that are anything but witty, and I still have no idea what set him off on that particular tirade. It was just more Morrissey whipping out his mean girl spirit.

Also, I can't believe a reviewer just described "Spent The Day In Bed" as deep, and poetic.

He didn't even review what is probably the best song on the album which is Jackie. The rest so far sound like he's struggling to find vocal melodies to fit these long, drawn out phrases that he still tries to yodel his way through. Gone are the consistent, tight vocal lines of the past.

This review is another example of why music journalists are the biggest hacks. They usually don't understand the subjects they are examining. Most of them don't even have musical training which makes their insight about as meaningful as a kid who has only eaten McDonalds his entire life reviewing a five star meal: "Not enough sugar. Needs more salt. Also, I wasn't served ketchup with my steak?"

You dislike Art-Hounds and then you criticize a critics opinion. Go and listen to Art-Hounds again. :)

"SOMETIMES HE'S STILL WORTH OUR TIME."

Goodness Gracious.

At least he's LISTENED to the album.
That's usually the best place to begin (as we know.)

Hazard
x

Heh, I have to agree that Art-Hounds lyrically is certifiably nuts. Morrissey has enjoyed positive critical reviews for nearly his entire comeback. Even though Ringleaders sounds like it his vocals were recorded in a bathroom stall. So Morrissey says critics have small dicks? WTF?

But musically it is titanic. Morrissey is of such singular talent that even when he has Alzheimers and his lyrics are reduced to the phrase "high court judges are meat eating pigs" his records will still rock.

I LOVE Art-Hounds!!!

Armageddon days are here (again) is one of the best songs written in the 80s, still one of my favourites.
Or "The Beaten Generation." Marr plays on that, and it's sublime.

It's a perfect commentary on modern times.

He saw the forest for the trees.

I would definitely listen to it first before committing to buying as it is fairly indulgent with just one actual new song on it. The rest is cover versions of The The songs and Matt reading a poem and other oddities.

Good advice Acton, I did just that and will give it a miss!! Just had to watch Johnny Marr playing the dogs of lust riff on youtube to instead.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom