"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

Pathetic indeed.
Being a forum moderator does not mean that I cannot be critical to Morrissey and others who associate with his work.

If you want to blindly worship him, please go to other site.

show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.

If you can't - f*** off to kindergarten you pathetic M-Solow dwarf.

Last edited:
Many times on M-Solow - there was open wish for death of M mother.
When you put this fact upon Moderators of M-Solow, they give you this answer: Do you know Morrissey also used to write really mean things... ... (Kewpie especially)
Well, so, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.

Thank you very much for twisting the argument.

I don't remember the actual incident and it was not my decision not removing it from the site.

That just proves how out of touch he is. The date of that tweet is 5th Oct, 3 days after his stupid UKIP comment on BBC 6. He thought he was being clever but his comments actually cost him pre orders, what a dick!

:laughing:

a man says what he wants, and suffers the consequences for it, he must be a 'dick'.

:lbf:

I disagree on "Easily forgotten". If I just think of that song, I can't stop the repeating of EXIT! BREXIT! going round and round in my head :rock:

Here's a rundown of one possible meaning behind the lyrics of 'Jacky' (I'm using the incomplete version of the lyrics which has been posted online):

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage [Jacky = Union Jack = Britain. Up on stage = powerful on the world stage; being centre of attention, making waves, leading the way with others following along behind.]
I make this claim now let me explain
Since she lost you [a loss of national sovereignty and being in control of its own affairs.]
Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage
She's [?] the truth of make believe [Make believe = Britain has been in a state of denial about its loss of influence and relevance, and about cultural changes morphing it into a place beyond recognition.]
Since she lost you
She is determined to prove
How she can build up the pain
Of every lost and lonely day

She'll make you believe what you'll never believe
Since she lost you
Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage [Being conquerors, innovators, and being at the head of the pack is how Britain made its name; it isn't Britain when it goes quiet and fades into the background or since it became just another country in an 'ever closer union'.]
Since she lost you
How she can build up the pitch
Of every lost and lonely day [Determined to prove, to themselves and to the world, that what has been lost can be regained.]

Queue lights I am singing to my lover at night [the lover is the country; daydreaming and waxing lyrical about what the country used to be and could be again.]
Scene two everyone who comes must go [The crass explanation is that immigrants/refugees must be sent back to their countries of origin. It could also be a reference to death and therefore cultural change/loss.]
Scene four it's blacker than ever before [a metaphor for the bleak fate of Britain, the more crass reading here is that it refers to the ethnic make-up of a sizable percentage of the new arrivals. It could be either, or both (or neither).]
Scene six this country is making me sick [see scene four]

Jacky cracks when she isn't on stage [societal breakdown]
Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]
No script, to crew, no autocue
No audience telling her what to do [breaking free of 'experts', media, celebrities, and politicians dictating to them the direction in which the country should go; henceforth going it alone.]
Exit, exit
Everybody's heading to the exit, exit
Everybody's running to the exit, exit
[The people have had enough of the current state of affairs and are taking steps towards determining their own destiny again. Exit = Brexit.]

Thank you very much for twisting the argument.

I don't remember the actual incident and it was not my decision not removing it from the site.

You don't remember the 'actual incident'

but you do remember that ' it was not my decision not removing it from the site.'

interesting.

Here's a rundown of one possible meaning behind the lyrics of 'Jacky' (I'm using the incomplete version of the lyrics which has been posted online):

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage [Jacky = Union Jack = Britain. Up on stage = powerful on the world stage; being centre of attention, making waves, leading the way with others following along behind.]
I make this claim now let me explain
Since she lost you [a loss of national sovereignty and being in control of its own affairs.]
She's [?] the truth of make believe [Make believe = Britain has been in a state of denial about its loss of influence and relevance, and about cultural changes morphing it into a place beyond recognition.]
Since she lost you
How she can build up the pain
Of every lost and lonely day

She'll make you believe what you'll never believe
Since she lost you
Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage [Being conquerors, innovators, and being at the head of the pack is how Britain made its name; it isn't Britain when it goes quiet and fades into the background or since it became just another country in an 'ever closer union'.]
Since she lost you
How she can build up the pitch
Of every lost and lonely day [Determined to prove, to themselves and to the world, that what has been lost can be regained.]

Queue lights I am singing to my lover at night [the lover is the country; daydreaming and waxing lyrical about what the country used to be and could be again.]
Scene two everyone who comes must go [The crass explanation is that immigrants/refugees must be sent back to their countries of origin. It could also be a reference to death and therefore cultural change/loss.]
Scene four it's blacker than ever before [a metaphor for the bleak fate of Britain, the more crass reading here is that it refers to the ethnic make-up of a sizable percentage of the new arrivals. It could be either, or both (or neither).]
Scene six this country is making me sick [see scene four]

Jacky cracks when she isn't on stage [societal breakdown]
Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]
No script, to crew, no autocue
No audience telling her what to do [breaking free of 'experts', media, celebrities, and politicians dictating to them the direction in which the country should go; henceforth going it alone.]
Exit, exit
Everybody's heading to the exit, exit
Everybody's running to the exit, exit
[The people have had enough of the current state of affairs and are taking steps towards determining their own destiny again. Exit = Brexit.]

I think you're reading way too much into it.

NOTE TO DIESEL ! :scissors:

Reckon it's time you and Steve 4ck off back to LA now ! You're stinking the place out !

#Boycott Low In High School
#Steven is NOT animal friendly
#Steven wears wool and cashmere
#Steven has BLOOD on his hands

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
(Cause I must :tiphat:)

I think you're reading way too much into it.

If I'm 'reading too much into it' are you saying that not that much thought could have gone into the writing of the lyrics? Judging by the lyrics on some of the other songs on this album, you could be right! Maybe it's just a straightforward song about 'Jacky', a girl who's feeling low in high school, and who wants to forget her troubles by getting up on stage; a song in a similar vein to 'Kid's a Looker'. Yes, that makes sense. Surface readings are the best. Thank you for bringing me back to my senses and stopping me from putting too much undue consideration into things. I mean, when has 'Morrissey' ever been known to write metaphorically or allegorically about anything? Who did I think he was -- Sheeran?

the journalist is simply saying that he is ruining his legacy and running the risk of not being remembered as the great artist who co-wrote the queen is dead, but instead the crackpot who left behind many more lyrically terrible albums than good ones. curtis of course, didn't write all these bad albums, the output was smaller, so will, creatively, be better respected in musical history.

i suspect for morrissey the well ran dry years ago. some of these new songs have the worst lyrics ever though, and sadly there's no one in his life to tell him. it's sad to see him surrounded by hack musicians, and no one to say, hey wait a minute, this is crap isn't it? but he believe his own genius... only it's no longer there.

the career descent has been largely self-inflicted. marr just had enough (and who can blame him?) street seemed the nicest guy ever and would probably have keep collaborating as long as he was paid... Alain and Boz probably could have provided more adventurous musical backdrops, but instead were encouraged to churn out the same old same old, because anything would be great purely because of M's presence.

some of the new music sounds ok, as the article pointed out, it's just the lyrics that suck. and in many cases it sounds like they don't fit the music, like the singer is trying to sing a totally different song to what the band are playing.

he has fans because of (very much in the) past glories. but there's really nothing to look forward to with new releases. the songwriters needed to change, but morrissey has been in an artistic rut for a long time.

i think people get passionate because the early songs meant so much to them. but there's no sense listening to badly written and performed songs by anyone.

the ashes of morrissey's creative genius is around us, if only we could see it.
#
The ashes of your passion for Morrissey are around you, if only you could see it.

Morrissey is 'Jacky', the same as he was obviously 'Papa Jack'. Jesus - it aint exactly rocket science.

If I'm 'reading too much into it' are you saying that not that much thought could have gone into the writing of the lyrics? Judging by the lyrics on some of the other songs on this album, you could be right! Maybe it's just a straightforward song about 'Jacky', a girl who's feeling low in high school, and who wants to forget her troubles by getting up on stage; a song in a similar vein to 'Kid's a Looker'. Yes, that makes sense. Surface readings are the best. Thank you for bringing me back to my senses and stopping me from putting too much undue consideration into things. I mean, when has 'Morrissey' ever been known to write metaphorically or allegorically about anything? Who did I think he was -- Sheeran?
Do we know when the song was written?

Of course it's acceptable. The journalist wrote it. They can write what they like, and there's nothing you or I can do about it. I have no feelings about how they choose to express themselves.

Actually Uncle Skinny, it's completely unacceptable. At times, just like your views. I might wish you were dead but I would judge you by your musical integrity. Which, is, basically, null and void. As with the idiot who wrote this garbage above. What a waste of colour paper.

In the old days of Nick Kent - and one or two others - music journalism used
to be a career. Now it's a joke. Editorial input the same. Hence the reason why the intelligentsia don't read music periodicals.

Buy the album. And LISTEN.

Hazard.
x

More than happy to accept criticism if it’s deserved, but this is another of those reviews which appears to be written by someone with a personal issue with Morrissey. He begins the review quoting a tweet wishing Morrissey had died young, before moving on to fantasising Morrissey died before his solo career started.

The album may yet deserve a mediocre rating but this is gutter press at its worst.

Yep. It is. Pity you didn't add your name. With common sense input like that you'd be a welcome addition to this forum.

Hazard.

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom