"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

If Morrissey was a saint then i might feel the need to get offended on his behalf, just like most of you are doing. But he himself has remorselessly wished death on plenty of people over the years. What's the difference?
Absolutely correct!!!!

But you seem to have quite alot of (as in...infinite) feelings, about how, for example, Morrissey chooses to express himself.
You seem very Zen this morning Unk. New Muesli? ;)

The story is old, and it goes on, of how it would have been better for 'us', or music history, or music journalists, or...music, generally, if Morrissey had choked himself in Chelsea in 1987.

Perhaps that's true.

But i'm guessing it may not have been quite so canny for Steven Patrick Morrissey's family, friends and loved ones.

That is where the offense is sourced.

And stating it via an anonymous twitt is a cop-out. As well as a crappy opening to a review.

ps ~ í like "Kill Uncle" so...

I also like Kill Uncle. Much rather listen to that than the last 2.

if his last albums were so bad why was there a quote on the ringleaders tour poster by either a music magazine or newspaper and the quote was THE MORRISSEY MASTERPIECE ,we live in a world now where people like stuff for a few weeks then when they get bored with it its shit.if you look back at the night world peace was put online the first quote is arthounds is f***ing awesome but the album was downgraded a few weeks later.

Its often noted that this site must be the only fan site in the world, where more members actually hate the subject rather than like it - and I think that's very true.

However, I think some people are being very quick to dismiss this (shocking) review.

I've no doubt that his UKIP comments will knock one or two points off the reviews of leftist reviewers (The Guardian must be sharping their knives), but its likely that if the album is wholly political it will be shocking at times.

When the track list first got released I breathed a huge sigh of relief because I thought it remained largely A-political but now it seems even In Your Lap could have been written by Russell Brand.

The man has given us some genuine classics like Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I - even Quarry, Ringleader & Years hold up so much better now that alot of indie albums released back then.

I think we all know he'll never release another Vauxhall - but if he keeps up the sloppy political stuff he might never even make a Quarry.

A separate point though, is that there's probably no artist scrutinized more for being a shadow of his former self than Moz - mainly due to his "right wing" views.

Jonny Marr hasn't written a classic riff since Strangeways - yet he's still the son of god to pretty much the entire industry.

Paul McCartney has had some absolute stinkers - yet no one talks about him diminishing his Beatles legacy.

Nothing David Grohl has done past Nirvana will ever actually be remembered as a defining album - but he's Mr Nice.

Good points. However, I do think Marr's riff for Sexuality by Billy Bragg is a classic.

these journalist think of themselves as being important,hes probably on here now wanking into one of his socks.

If Morrissey was a saint then i might feel the need to get offended on his behalf, just like most of you are doing. But he himself has remorselessly wished death on plenty of people over the years. What's the difference?

the difference is, the reviewing of a record, not the reviewing of what he says or does outside of that record.

his comments are about certain people who pass laws or are in someway major contributors to the cruelty and destruction of animals. It is a subject he feels strongly about,and so he most likely makes strong statements in order to bring attention to a subject that gets little to no media attention, so no one should really be surprised when he says what he says. M is far from perfect, but he does what he can.

:tiphat:

the difference is, the reviewing of a record, not the reviewing of what he says or does outside of that record.

his comments are about certain people who pass laws or are in someway major contributors to the cruelty and destruction of animals. It is a subject he feels strongly about,and so he most likely makes strong statements in order to bring attention to a subject that gets little to no media attention, so no one should really be surprised when he says what he says. M is far from perfect, but he does what he can.

:tiphat:

Do you know Morrissey also used to write really mean reviews?

Last edited:
yes, based on the bands performance or the music on the record.

'When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the New York Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world. It takes the world 30 years to catch on, doesn't it? I mean, look at poor Nico. Every modern teenager now seems to love Nico, yet while she was alive she couldn't afford a decent mattress.'

Etienne

the journalist is simply saying that he is ruining his legacy and running the risk of not being remembered as the great artist who co-wrote the queen is dead, but instead the crackpot who left behind many more lyrically terrible albums than good ones. curtis of course, didn't write all these bad albums, the output was smaller, so will, creatively, be better respected in musical history.

i suspect for morrissey the well ran dry years ago. some of these new songs have the worst lyrics ever though, and sadly there's no one in his life to tell him. it's sad to see him surrounded by hack musicians, and no one to say, hey wait a minute, this is crap isn't it? but he believe his own genius... only it's no longer there.

the career descent has been largely self-inflicted. marr just had enough (and who can blame him?) street seemed the nicest guy ever and would probably have keep collaborating as long as he was paid... Alain and Boz probably could have provided more adventurous musical backdrops, but instead were encouraged to churn out the same old same old, because anything would be great purely because of M's presence.

some of the new music sounds ok, as the article pointed out, it's just the lyrics that suck. and in many cases it sounds like they don't fit the music, like the singer is trying to sing a totally different song to what the band are playing.

he has fans because of (very much in the) past glories. but there's really nothing to look forward to with new releases. the songwriters needed to change, but morrissey has been in an artistic rut for a long time.

i think people get passionate because the early songs meant so much to them. but there's no sense listening to badly written and performed songs by anyone.

the ashes of morrissey's creative genius is around us, if only we could see it.

don't understand your post, but....

you proved my point, initially he let his feelings for the Dolls get in the way and so at the time didn't hear the brilliance of that Ramones record... which he later makes a public statement of apology of sorts.

'When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the New York Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world. It takes the world 30 years to catch on, doesn't it? I mean, look at poor Nico. Every modern teenager now seems to love Nico, yet while she was alive she couldn't afford a decent mattress.'

Etienne

Etienne

Hello Moz! :)

Well it's not looking good is it ?
I had hoped Steve was going to make a dramatic comeback but this doesn't bode well does it ?
Until I snide a copy after its release I'll reserve my judgment.

"Now if you please . . . . . .!"
"I've written a new song . . . . . . . .!"
"For you all to sing along to. . . . . . . . .!"

"SPENT THE DAY IN WOOL .....................! ! ! ! ! !

Spent the day in wool
Brown wool and cashmere
It cost a grand seventy five
As the animals were sheared
I spent the day in wool
And the BB's caught me out
It's all on utube
And I recommend that you

Stop reading the reviews !
Because the reviews contrive to have their say
To make you feel I'm a hypocrite
To make you realise that I'm full of shit

Time do as I wish
Diesel's got a big fist :eyes:
Time do as I wish
It's cool to eat fish
Time do as I wish
Water sports n piss
Do is I say, NOT as I dooooooooo !

Spent the day in wool
Etc ! Etc !
I love my cardigan
It's Alexandra McQueen
You can get one from Harrods

No Boz ! Just large ! Medium or small !
4ck Benny ! 4ck Brummie ! 4ck JohnnyCorn, 4ck Skinny !
No Boz ! Just large ! Medium or small !
4ck Skinny ! 4ck Brummie ! 4ck JohnnyCorn, 4ck Benny !
Last line !
I'm NOT ANIMAL FRIENDLY !

" MERCI !" " MERCI !"

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
(Cause I must :tiphat:)

OK, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.
Do you get it?
But, you don't.
You are Moderator on M-Solow.

Pathetic indeed.
Being a forum moderator does not mean that I cannot be critical to Morrissey and others who associate with his work.

If you want to blindly worship him, please go to other site.

because too many people today love showing fake outrage. it makes them feel better to be outraged by something someone or other has said. one thing i like about morrissey is he likes outraging the trying to be pc brigade. ironically, the journalist is doing the same.

OK, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.
Do you get it?
But, you don't.
You are Moderator on M-Solow.
don't understand your post, but....

you proved my point, initially he let his feelings for the Dolls get in the way and so at the time didn't hear the brilliance of that Ramones record... which he later makes a public statement of apology of sorts.

Many times on M-Solow - there was open wish for death of M mother.
When you put this fact upon Moderators of M-Solow, they give you this answer: Do you know Morrissey also used to write really mean things... ... (Kewpie especially)
Well, so, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.

I detest Morrissey.

As for his first week album sales for LIHS, it's looking good:

That just proves how out of touch he is. The date of that tweet is 5th Oct, 3 days after his stupid UKIP comment on BBC 6. He thought he was being clever but his comments actually cost him pre orders, what a dick!

Many times on M-Solow - there was open wish for death of M mother.
When you put this fact upon Moderators of M-Solow, they give you this answer: Do you know Morrissey also used to write really mean things... ... (Kewpie especially)
Well, so, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.

no, I wasn't commenting on your post.

But thanks for the information in your post anyway. :)

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom