"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2017 (read-only)' started by Mutt Walker, Oct 18, 2017.

By Mutt Walker on Oct 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM
  1. Mutt Walker

Mutt Walker New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Redundant Redundant x 1
    1. g23
      g23
      I'm going to have to give it a listen for myself, of course, but this review sums up my own fears. That A: the album would be 3/4 (vegan)ham-fisted political ramblings, and B: that it could potentially be the first time in history that the band outshines Morrissey. It sounds fairly cringe inducing going by the review (but like I said, I'll give it my own in due time) But weaker than Kill Uncle? Hm. The only parallel I drew between the two is when I was surprised that Spent the day in bed was as lightweight as anything on Kill Uncle.
      Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Irish blood Irish heart
      Irish blood Irish heart
      If only uncleskinny had been struck down then we wouldn’t have to read his bullshit everyday, wonder if he’ll be so zen about that opinion
      • Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    3. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      A 'tin pot magazine' that gave his previous album WPINOYB 8/10?
      50k people a month paying for the magazine is indeed 'very influential' given that the NME has to give itself away for free these days yet nobody is interested in what they have to say, just as nobody's interested in what Morrissey has to say. Let's see if STDIB sells 50,000 copies.
    4. Quando quando quando
      Quando quando quando
      I agree it is unacceptable but it has been published and there is nothing we can do about it.
      It's strange though, I mean the journo's opinion about Moz wishing to have died in 1986. And that he should. There is something sinister about it when you think about the glowing review of "Worldpeace" and not any of those derogatory, hurtful remarks.

I don't care he critiseses the album, the music, the content but I do care about those comments. So personal and insulting.
      And of course I don't agree with his opinion as to me it is going to be a great album for the music known so far.
      You wonder what has happened, a clash? Something Moz did or say?
      • Like Like x 2
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    5. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      I see. Do you also care for comments calling for the hacking up of a Canadian politician?
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    6. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      Then why are you reading this thread?
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      But he's always had songs that were trite and they don't get brought up as ruinous to the albums or his image. You're the one for me fatty, some girls are bigger than others or even the boy racer which is a catchy song but hardly a deep one. I like kiss me a lot quite a bit. It's was uptempo musical interesting and fun and I thought the lyrics interesting and playfully tongue in check sexually suggestive like where he sings kiss me all over the place. It's also not exactly the defining song on world peace just as the other example seems I mentioned doesn't define the tone of the albums they're included on. I can understand someone being put off from the album or songs if the lyrical content isn't what they want or like but a music album reviewers should still make the craft musicianship and vocal melodies etc count for more than they did in this review. It reads more like a grumpy fan upset at morrissey than it does an objective album review as it barely mentions the songs/albums musical qualities
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Quando quando quando
      Quando quando quando

Yes.
      Hurtful and completely unnecessary!
      • Like Like x 1
    9. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      I detest Morrissey.

As for his first week album sales for LIHS, it's looking good:

• Funny Funny x 2
    10. Shyness 1s nice
      Shyness 1s nice
      Because I have the freedom to do so if I wish. I really don't see the point in getting worked up over a review. They can't and won't change our opinion surely?
      • Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. g23
      g23
      Honestly, if he or ANY of his peers- Robert Smith, Siouxsie, Bernard Sumner, etc were to have died young, the celebrity death cult would have lapped it up and made him a doomed martyr, forever listenable. That's why you have fair to middling bands like Nirvana enduring long past the point of demise. They were a band very much in decline with the release of In Utero, but a shotgun blast to the head ensured that they were suddenly legendary. It's a weird phenomenon, untimely death bringing about veneration. James Dean? Shit actor, great look. Had he lived until 1999 he would have just been another fat Brando, an object of ridicule.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. ACTON
      ACTON
      No no no no nooooooooo! Now that I've said that I'll go and read the actual review.
      Ok I've read it. The hatchet job seems a bit shallow to me and will only mildly graze Moz. I didn't like his comment about "Catholic complaints". Perhaps the reviewer himself is far more bigoted and prejudiced than he claims Moz to be.
      Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
      • Like Like x 2
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    13. g23
      g23
      Do you wonder if we've deliberately been given the best? I'm ok with 5/7 so far. Home is a Question Mark, which people seem to love- strikes me as coming straight out of the recycling until the very end, when it actually turns to something inspiring and grand, and the less said about the overly slick lead single, the better in my opinion. No cojones on that one. I hope the rest is good, but the song titles give me little hope. Also, with it being quite unfashionable to be pro Israel right now, do you suppose it was calculated to make Roger Waters bitch at him in public, thereby raising his profile? No such thing as bad press until the bad press comes. Especially in our age of assumption and witch burning.
    14. ACTON
      ACTON
      Exactly. People are so fickle these days.
      • Like Like x 2
    15. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      The only thing that amazes me is that this guy's getting paid for writing shitty rewies and Morrissey's getting paid millions for doing shitty things.
      We can only hope.
    16. g23
      g23
      I think it speaks of a fan who has gotten sick of Morrissey's shit. There are a couple out there in the world.
    17. g23
      g23
      No, the video was molesting students, but I don't think Morrissey was there for the filming. :lbf:

And I bet they got paid in exposure...
      • Like Like x 1
    18. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      the aylum doors heve been left open again.
      from what iv heard its definitely not a five out of ten but that's only my opinion.
      leave skinny to his aural prism and his hanging sevenths as he is a musician of the highest order.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Tibby the cat 93
      Tibby the cat 93
      The writer is of the opinion Morrissey should have retired at some point in the past at which the writer deems his output no longer interesting or worthy enough for public consumption. The writer is entitled to his opinion. I don't agree with it at all. What a nasty way to express this opinion though. It looks like a vendetta tbh. Would he start a Hendrix or Cobain review with ' Good job he died young ? ' I doubt it.
      • Insightful Insightful x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    20. BrummieBoy
      BrummieBoy
      Who's getting worked up? It's funny. A great start to the reviews. I expect lots more of them to be equally scathing. They have an effect on casual opinion but not mine. I decided the albums sucked after hearing the new songs live at the BBC.
      • Insightful Insightful x 1