"Low In High School" review by Pat Gilbert (3 stars) in Mojo

full

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm still waiting for someone to review the record
and not a review of what M says, especially when it is taken out of context and therefore twisted to fit their agenda of misunderstanding and hate.

Also he seems to have just read the lyric sheet and not actually played the album.

'stick in the knife'

:straightface:

I'm still waiting for someone to review the record and not a review of what M says, especially when it is taken out of context and therefore twisted to fit their agenda of misunderstanding and hate.

seems to have just read the lyric sheet and not actually played the album.

'stick in the knife'

I agree. Yes, his spoken words get the press when he says them, but I don't see the need to preface every single album review with a "Remember when Morrissey said that thing, and we went with the headline 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' because we have no imagination? Something something Pope of Mope."

The music is an afterthought to both serious reviews that have been posted here so far.

By the content of the critic, it seems the album deserves more than 3 stars and the article should have another title.

I wonder why some people are automatically upset with Morrissey's words and they don't stop for a second to analize why he says one thing or another. They are only words, not a bombing. It's like they were programmed in a given way and any little detour from that programmed path (to disaster) make them feel uncomfortable. Why do we need to create robots if people are so easy to program? You just have to create a maze full of obstacles called professional career and put out of it and call losers all those people who dare to have an original opinion or refuse to repeat a given dogma. Then you'll have all the trained puppies making automatic tricks for their masters. We can see it everywhere, but it is more evident in mainstream media. When free press served people it was considered a pillar of a democratic state. Now press serves different groups of power and it's just another tool used to sustain the bunch of different criminal dictatorships that rule our world. Sorry for the digression.

Last edited:
What a weird review. Seems deserving of more than 3 stars. Guess Mojo didn't get an interview either

That last paragraph! Pat let his personal feelings regarding Morrissey's comments colour his review and the rating. Omit everything unrelated to the actual album and it would be a good review with another star at least added on.

Thanks Anonymous!

Yeah seems like more of the same. I don't like Morrisseys contradictory often times puzzling statements offstage so I'm not sure about this album though the songs sound great

Very poor review indeed.
‘Great album but remember what outrageous things Morrissey has said recently, kids’.
Hideous what has become of the once Great British music press.

Hilarious. So basically the album is 4/5 and Mozzer's political commentary is a 1/5. Which some how rounds it up to a solid 3/5.

It only mentions 7 out of the 12 songs and even this 7 songs aren't really reviewed. You get no sense what these songs are like musically

That last paragraph! Pat let his personal feelings regarding Morrissey's comments colour his review and the rating. Omit everything unrelated to the actual album and it would be a good review with another star at least added on.

Thanks Anonymous!
I don't know that it would automatically add a star or not, but it would read more like your average review.

Yes, it certainly reads like a 4/5 star review - only When You Open Your Legs is perceived as a negative and even that's not so bad. Yet the rating and the headline and the "B+ for music, C- for attitude" line don't quite match the article itself. It seems like they don't want to be seen to praise him too highly because of his perceived views. So perhaps the reviews editor knocked off a point. Lord knows what the Guardian will have to say about it. But anyway having read such a positive review I am rather optimistic about the album.

Last edited:
Glowing review with only one song they were unhappy with. Should have easily been 4 stars, no?

But I must agree with the reviewer that I wish Moz would speak more through his records than inflammatory statements... the lyrics we've heard thus far are his best in years, IMO.

In brief: "This is a wonderful album; if only I liked its singer."

it's like Mojo said... we need someone who hates M to review his new album.

These two recent reviews are OBVIOUS HITJOBS.

'STICK IN THE KNIFE' !

'STICK IN THE KNIFE' !

'the story is old...'

Morrissey The Singing Troll is exposed:

'Long cast, or posing, as the persecuted outsider/exile the singer's increasingly bothersome public proclamations'

'Give me an order, I'll blow up your daughter'.

If this indeed a lyric...LOL! It's hilarious & nonsensical. Who would order their own daughter blown up? It's like an iron Maiden lyric.

'It's only 'When You Open Your Legs' that summons a wince'

Looking forward to hearing that one though guffaws more likely than a wince. Wonder whether those lyrics will settle the issue of what Kristeen Young was on about when she mentioned his oral sex proclivities onstage.

A tremendously satisfying review for those of us who await a karmic hurricane to blast Morrissey to smithereens. It's now clear the album is a ridiculous flop with the Mainstream Media after the Uncut and Mojo reviews. These two magazines are influential so it's likely that other reviewers will form similar conclusions. All that remains is the opening week's sales figures. How big is the residual Cult Of Morrisey? Can they buy enough versions of the album to get it to a position that will prevent another Morrissey implosion? Exciting times!

I don't know that it would automatically add a star or not, but it would read more like your average review.

But it says the standard of songs is "undoubtedly high" and they are "partisan, powerful, and controversial". There's barely a word of criticism. Even the songs criticised in Uncut are praised here. This doesn't exactly suggest an average record or rating. I think as many here suspected from the Uncut review that Morrissey is being, a little ironically given the album title, deliberately marked down. Which doesn't alter the quality of the album, of course.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom