"Low In High School" review by Kevin Harley (3 stars) in Record Collector, The Sun (3 stars)

Another similar sounding review with praise (generally) for the music and concern about the lyrics (‘the controversy-baiting broadsides grate’).
Open your Legs is described as soaring pop, Spent the Day is much better as an album song and ‘mercifully removed from matters political’, ‘Home’ is praised for its lightness of melody, and carelessly mischievous pop enlivens ‘Girl from Tel Aviv’s heel-kicking tango. Review by Kevin Harley

Not really deserving of its own thread but The Sun has given the album 3 stars.
Singles out Home, Lonely and Spent the Day as highlights. Praises the production, criticises the lyrics.

"The 10 best things to do this week: Mudbound and Morrissey

An epic tale of wartime race relations in the Deep South opens in cinemas, while the Smiths frontman delivers his latest album

Morrissey
Like a lot of recent Morrissey albums, Low in High School – which features a picture of a boy holding an axe in one hand and a sign saying, you guessed it, “axe the monarchy” in the other – has some gloriously self-parodic song titles. All the Young People Must Fall in Love, When You Open Your Legs, and Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage all sound like the results of a Mozza lyric generator. Recent single Spent the Day in Bed at least broadened the former Smiths singer’s musical palette slightly, utilising synth noises here and there. Out on 17 November."

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/nov/10/10-best-things-to-do-this-week-mudbound-morrissey

Not really deserving of its own thread but The Sun has given the album 3 stars.
Singles out Home, Lonely and Spent the Day as highlights. Praises the production, criticises the lyrics.

Amazing Morrissey's lyrics are criticised considering nobody elses ever are. I suppose they are highlighting a supposed decline but I don't know any lyricist who even seems to try to string a sentence together well apart from Morrissey. His lyrics aren't what they were but there are always some gems in every song. Who else can you say that about?

The Guardian/Observer review should be soon. I'm slightly fearful as I just can't see them giving it more than 2/5 for obvious reasons.

Exactly, i'm not fond of STDIB, but it's at the right place in the tracklisting order.
The 4 first songs are very dense - distorted yelling at the beginning of track 1, more yelling at track 3 for the exit part (and same kind of thing at the end of first part of I bury the living), and it's a welcome touch of lightness...

In your lap and The Girl from, almost sound like one song, same piano and unusual rythm.
Who will protect us from the police is a good one, with almost 3 lines for the lyrics.
Israel is a little too much, too dramatic...

The Guardian/Observer review should be soon. I'm slightly fearful as I just can't see them giving it more than 2/5 for obvious reasons.

Most of the daily papers publish their music reviews on Fridays so if they're not in today's, guess it'll be another week. Hard to predict the Guardian score. Any reviewer focusing mainly on the lyrics could probably just about justify a 2/5 but anything below a 3/5 would seem a little unfair given the supposed quality of the music.

Most of the daily papers publish their music reviews on Fridays so if they're not in today's, guess it'll be another week. Hard to predict the Guardian score. Any reviewer focusing mainly on the lyrics could probably just about justify a 2/5 but anything below a 3/5 would seem a little unfair given the supposed quality of the music.

If I remember correctly the Mojo review had no criticism of the lyrics and praised them in contrast to his public statements. I was more thinking that the recent Guardian article by Stuart Heritage might give us an indication of the sort of stance their review will take.

Morrissey's lyrics are 'controversial' these days because most singers only sing about nonsense like 'I love you' and 'you love me'. XFactor reflects the brain damaged expectations of contemporary audiences who only ask that you don't make them think (because it squeezes the grey blob of porridge inside their skulls). Everyone is afraid of everything these days, and the lazy sunbathers keep on yawning. I'm looking forward to the Moz album for the music, lyrics, and vocal melodies. A critic pandering to the casual cretin won't sway me.

Morrissey's lyrics are 'controversial' these days because most singers only sing about nonsense like 'I love you' and 'you love me'. XFactor reflects the brain damaged expectations of contemporary audiences who only ask that you don't make them think (because it squeezes the grey blob of porridge inside their skulls).

So, what you're saying is Morrissey's still got it compared to the X-Factor. Whoo f***ing pee.

There's a small review on this website I've never heard off. It's positive but doesn't tell us much we don't already know. I Bury The Living is described as "a heartfelt song filled with passion, chanting and various sonic experiments reminiscent of Peter Doherty’s Hamburg Demonstrations." It also rates Spent The Day In Bed as one of the worst tracks and gives the album 9/10.

http://rushonrock.com/2017/11/10/review-morrissey/

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom