"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When all is said and done, I would like to refer to the headline above the review:

" A class above " :)

Wonderful post. Thanks.

I guess that Bowie, Eno and Cale all developed and matured musically because they could/can actually play the instruments they employed. They lived for the studio and put in countless hours of experimentation developing the sound in their heads. I know Moz has tinkled on the piano a little, but he relies upon others to create the music. He is clearly willing to embrace more experimental sounds (Sweetie-Pie, Smiler et al) but needs Boz, Jesse, etc. to deliver the goods.

A great point that I didn't consider. The songs arise through a competing set of motivations; instead of through a single vision. Morrissey is dependent on those stars always aligning to his satisfaction; if he even knows what his satisfaction is beforehand. It's a shaky model.

On the other hand, Morrissey has plenty of writing partners within the band, but I think that comes back to my main point, and that a musical identity can get lost, and it starts to become a kind of fragmented karaoke style experience, or what some used to mockingly refer to as "world music," or a Vegas style act.

There's not a musical identity to bind the artist to his audience. They rely on the lyrics, and vocal melodies, who's inspiration is often harder to maintain than instrumental inspiration. As central as lyrics and vocal melodies are to popular songs, they have to be served by the music in order to become distinct, and progress from average to great.

The music of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" tracked with any other set of lyrics, is likely to sound superior to any music tracked to the song's lyrics.

I remember buying KU along with Beethoven Was Deaf. Right away, it struck me as very odd that the band didn't play a single song of off KU on a tour the following year after its release - I knew then that Kill Uncle was special. I do find most of M's output unlistenable nowadays, save for Vauxhall, Bona Drag, ROTT and believe it or not World Peace. YOR is a joke!

Years of Refusal is a really good album. Don't get why people say otherwise.

His performance here on Jools Holland is pretty special!

It's an album review. The reviewer is quite clearly talking about Morrissey's recorded output (in which Gustavo made his debut in 2014). Nobody gives a milky toss about live shows.

That doesn't hold water as Mando's recording debut is this year. It does show that the reviewer doesn't give a 'milky toss' about the accuracy of their piece, something that could have been all too easily avoided with a quick Google... editorial standards are slipping everywhere.

SOSB

I get where he was trying to go, but it's not my favorite. I think the synths were either too cheesy, or not cheesy enough. I guess for me it's not so much laid back as much as laid flat on its back. It's nearly listless in its delivery by everyone involved.

EDIT And I seemed to remember dominant synths, but listening to it now for the first time in forever, no. I do think it would make a good backing track for a hip hop song though.

agree, though, it's not the choice of instruments, it's Jerry Finn, not one of my favorite producers he worked with.

I like it dirty and a little more mysterious, and synths always sound like a novelty or gimmicky when mixed on top, I prefer them to be one with the music, then they can add something interesting to the song.

Though an improvement, I didn't care too much for Joe Chiccarelli's production on 'WPINOYB', hoping with the harder material that 'LIHS' will be better production wise, because so far I like the songs.

And no, I don't care much for the 'laser' sounds on the intro of 'Spend the day..'

Well, with both of our 'Uncle' tour comments and this, I think we are both on the same page.

America Is Not The World was a song of extraordinary bravery. It is so open to misinterpretation and to lead with it on an album which could make or break him was immensely courageous, particularly as it might be seen as attacking his key market.

It’s a love song to America. It’s the musical equivalent of telling your girlfriend you don’t like her new hairstyle. It has been overtaken by events, and is therefore consigned to history, but have another listen. It’s an extraordinary piece and braver than anything on World Peace.

It's dreadful.

For every Come Back To Camden you get an I'm Not Sorry, You Know I couldn't last, America is Not the World, or How Can Anybody Know How I Feel? Quarry had a few GREAT songs, but the ones that were bad, were horrid. Quarry could have been a spectacular EP, but as an album it's a solid 3 stars for me.

Sir, you are more than generous. Unless you mean out of 10.

If you cannot listen to First Of The Gang To Die or Come Back To Camden and recognise them as truly outstanding late Morrissey compositions I’m not sure what I can suggest short of a chimney sweep to the ears.

Quarry is his last great album. Even after Low In High School is released I suspect that will still be the case.

I beg to differ. Come Back to Camden is utter shite. The first two singles are the only tolerable things on that wretched, shittily-produced disc.

agree, though, it's not the choice of instruments, it's Jerry Finn, not one of my favorite producers he worked with.

I like it dirty and a little more mysterious, and synths always sound like a novelty or gimmicky when mixed on top, I prefer them to be one with the music, then they can add something interesting to the song.

Though an improvement, I didn't care too much for Joe Chiccarelli's production on 'WPINOYB', hoping with the harder material that 'LIHS' will be better production wise, because so far I like the songs.

And no, I don't care much for the 'laser' sounds on the intro of 'Spend the day..'

Well, with both of our 'Uncle' tour comments and this, I think we are both on the same page.
Is it just me, speaking of synths- or is Gustavo WAY up in the mix on the recent live sessions? Have a listen to World Peace in Berlin. I wonder about the taffy pulling, sound wise- that the three primary songwriters seem to be engaging in nowadays.

I beg to differ. Come Back to Camden is utter shite. The first two singles are the only tolerable things on that wretched, shittily-produced disc.

I beg to differ with you Sidnette.
I agree the production and the synths on "Camden" were to cheesy and it would be so much better if real violins were used.
But the song itself, the content was beautiful. And his voice. So beautiful.
I adnit I cried when I heard the "I'll be good" lines a the end of the song.

I believe the song isn't really about nostalgia, but I can understand people saying that, but a memory about a time he was very happy and when you are, everything seems wonderful and beautiful. So that is what Camden then was for him.

Of course it won't last that long, that is part of human life.

I agree the production and the synths on "Camden" were to cheesy and it would be so much better if real violins were used.

I believe the song isn't really about nostalgia, but I can understand people saying that, but a memory about a time he was very happy and when you are, everything seems wonderful and beautiful. So that is what Camden then was for him.

It's just a non-song for me.

I know he'd probably never do it, because it's too traditional for a musician like him, but I would drop everything to see Morrissey perform with a full symphony.

I know he'd probably never do it, because it's too traditional for a musician like him, but I would drop everything to see Morrissey perform with a full symphony.

I agree completely.
And while we're at it, it would be a missed opportunity to not include some other songs, suitable for the occasion, too.

Like for instance " The Never Played Symphonies, Life's A Pigsty, Dear God, Please Help Me. Far-off Places and there are some more.
What other songs would you like with the symphony orchestra?
And someone, somewhere has to persuade and convince him to do it!
:eek:

I agree completely.
And while we're at it, it would be a missed opportunity to not include some other songs, suitable for the occasion, too.

Like for instance " The Never Played Symphonies, Life's A Pigsty, Dear God, Please Help Me. Far-off Places and there are some more.
What other songs would you like with the symphony orchestra?
And someone, somewhere has to persuade and convince him to do it!
:eek:
Oh man. Honestly, and this is something else he'd never do- the full album retrospective show-
But could you imagine Vauxhall & I? There are a couple of songs that wouldn't work so well, but Now My Heart Is Full performed with a full symphony would kill me dead. We'll Let You Know could be amazing, the list is pretty large for what would work.

Oh man. Honestly, and this is something else he'd never do- the full album retrospective show-
But could you imagine Vauxhall & I? There are a couple of songs that wouldn't work so well, but Now My Heart Is Full performed with a full symphony would kill me dead. We'll Let You Know could be amazing, the list is pretty large for what would work.

"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" - perhaps ironically!!!!! :cry:

A one off orchestra set is too fantastic an idea to ever happen, but If it did I think it would look a little like this

Morrissey - A Symphony

1: Now My Heart Is Full
2: Angel Angel We Go Down Together
3: The Never Played Symphonies
4: Munich Air Diaster 1958
5: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
6: Istanbul
7: Come Back To Camden
8: Life Is A Pigsty
9: Maladjusted
10: I Know Its Gonna Happen Someday
11: Jack The Ripper
12: I Will See You In Far Off Places
13: The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
14: Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me

I cant stand his band, it's cabaret cruise ship shite. The music is arguably worse than the lyrics, too many cooks, too convoluted, just a noisy mess. Moz needs to ditch his band and start over. THEN we might get the album we've all been craving.

Hey, you haven't even heard it all yet, so stop posting this - rubbish/utter tripe - until you do.

And besides, the music on this album is as well-arranged and well-produced, just like the last. And that was great too. I'd really like to listen to your band next, so we can see what you can do probably nothing out of the ordinary (sic) but, you know, lets give you a chance to shine..... or sink....

Hazard
x

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom