"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus... Where do I start? ;)

Honestly, nothing, but it's a very unimaginative and derivative style, post-50's that is. You have to color within the lines, and there's no innovation beyond trying to sound Chuck Berry-esque.
It worked for Morrissey for a minute. He's dabbled in various styles, so no biggie there.
Had he stuck with the sound as some kind of rockabilly niche act though, I think his career would have ended in 1990 something.

In my personal life though, the rockabillies I've known personify a dumbed down lifestyle of cars, alcohol, and a profound lack of self-knowledge or intellectual thought. At least the punks have a sense of humor.

This LP is beautiful derivation of rockabilly:
Richard Hawley - Lowedges/Album

So what say the the roll-call of naysayers now? A decent review perchance, oh gosh? I can't wait to hear it, bring it on. A los demás, que matarse x

I don't know. Sounds like that Trev & Simon sketch about the shirt - someone summed it up really well in another thread when they asked if a budding musician today could score a deal with a line like that. Sounds to my ears, personally, like Morrissey is quite confused these days: I don't understand myself, how you can have the brazen audacity and arrogance to say what he does about the Chinese 'subspecies' and Brexit, and yet palm off his fandom with a lead single featuring such a nursery rhyme lyric as "I love my bed." Doesn't seem that articulate, in short. To me, that is.

But again, "tactless", I love my bed?
So anybody else not having made the remarks as he did could be singing it and it wasn't tactless?
He can't sing that because of what he said?
I try to imagine who would take offense about that song line and why.

But again, "tactless", I love my bed?
So anybody else not having made the remarks as he did could be singing it and it wasn't tactless?
He can't sing that because of what he said?
I try to imagine who would take offense about that song line and why.
It was laughed at pretty roundly among my little real life Moz circle the day the single came out.
It's not tactless, it's just not... very good.
I believe the quote that started it was "Wait- what? Did he really just say he loves his bed? Is it shaped like a race car or something?"

Attachments

• i-love-my-bed.jpg.png
    i-love-my-bed.jpg.png
    271 KB · Views: 0
What I find funny is the criticism of him having tried something new with 'World Peace' and, by the sound of it, with this album.

I don't think the work he has produced more recently is quite as consistently relatable but it certainly isn't boring, and that's something everybody wanted after the guitar heavy work he produced in the noughties.

Appreciate the best bits of his older catalogue but learn to accept some change. Above all, always put the art before the artist, otherwise I don't think you can appreciate any of Morrissey's work ever.

It was laughed at pretty roundly among my little real life Moz circle the day the single came out.
It's not tactless, it's just not... very good.
I believe the quote that started it was "Wait- what? Did he really just say he loves his bed? Is it shaped like a race car or something?"

Well, in my real life little Moz circle that consists of 1 person but contains quite a number of different Moz-fans, I laughed too cause I thought it was funny, recognizable and it was a very catchy pop song.
The bed refers to resting, relaxing and in general be good to yourself.
Kind of strange way of interpretation, innit?
But not as strange as interpretating it literary as to how the bed would look like a race car. I think. Are they dumb or what?

Well, in my real life little Moz circle that consists of 1 person but contains quite a number of different Moz-fans, I laughed too cause I thought it was funny, recognizable and it was a very catchy pop song.
The bed refers to resting, relaxing and in general be good to yourself.
Kind of strange way of interpretation, innit?
But not as strange as interpretating it literary as to how the bed would look like a race car. I think. Are they dumb or what?
They make beds for children that are shaped like boats, or race cars, so the joke was that it was a very child like line/child like bed. As far as jokes go, it's not the greatest, but neither is the lyric. The subtext that the video adds makes the song slightly better, but I don't think it will ever be a song that makes anyone cry, or saves their life or anything.

They make beds for children that are shaped like boats, or race cars, so the joke was that it was a very child like line/child like bed. As far as jokes go, it's not the greatest, but neither is the lyric. The subtext that the video adds makes the song slightly better, but I don't think it will ever be a song that makes anyone cry, or saves their life or anything.

No, you are right of course but that is a very high up standard to held up before you even start to listen. I think it is because of that, the music of The Smiths and Moz doing that in the past is reason many fans, but not all start comparing and feel dissapointed.
Nothing can ever be that great again.

The rock a billy was essentally him trying to relive the NY Dolls. It was far from his awkward years. Most of his best solo gigs were around this time, up tp 95 / 96
In various ways after that tour morrissey became pretty shit.. Jake London and then LA f***ed him over.
Now hes pretty Hollow

have you ever listened to the New York Dolls ?

I thought the Kill Uncle era sound was just thin and watery. It could have been the production as much as the music, but I definitely listen to that era the least. I do realize that it is important, and the people who caught the wave of mania surrounding the Kill Uncle tour will defend it to the death, but the band and songs improved so drastically by the time Arsenal came out, and Vauxhall is pretty much perfect, and the the high water mark for the Boz/Alain/Gary/Spencer band. It's the difference between youthful exuberance versus practiced musicianship.

the band's sound on the 'Uncle' tour was thin,etc. But it didn't matter because it was the first time for most to see M live, he could of came out by himself singing to a backing track and he still would have gotten stage invasions. 'Arsenal' was the best live, the band was like a bomb going off unbeatable and beautiful. Was it just a matter of new gear and tightening up as a touring unit? don't know, but their sound did change a lot and for the better. Though it did mellow a bit for the 'Boxers' tour, maybe because of the material.

No, you are right of course but that is a very high up standard to held up before you even start to listen. I think it is because of that, the music of The Smiths and Moz doing that in the past is reason many fans, but not all start comparing and feel dissapointed.
Nothing can ever be that great again.

I still hold hope that a new band will come along and blow everybody's minds. I still hold hope that our current cultural stupidity is fleeting. And if you resign yourself to thoughts like "Nothing can every be that great again" you discount all of your future days and color them with pessimism. Chin up. There's some kid out there playing in their parents basement right now, who will go on to great and meaningful things.

I still hold hope that a new band will come along and blow everybody's minds. I still hold hope that our current cultural stupidity is fleeting. And if you resign yourself to thoughts like "Nothing can every be that great again" you discount all of your future days and color them with pessimism. Chin up. There's some kid out there playing in their parents basement right now, who will go on to great and meaningful things.

Oh yes, sure.
But just to take another example then Moz or The Smiths, just listened and watched the video of Madness, "It Must Be Love" posted in the "what songs you're listening to ?" thread by IR.
My heart jumped up and it is the music I love and I am afraid I can't relate to much of the music of today.
Searching but not finding. Of course it's age and maybe nostalgia.

Euh, have you heard the fantastic live FM broadcast of the Paris'1991 show? The live version of the rockabilly King Leer stands very well. And the band plays tight.

What's wrong with rockabilly anyway ? A Kill Uncle era b-side like "The Loop" is golden rockabilly, very Elvis Sun Records-era.
Kill Uncle has got some amazing songs bar maybe the phrase and the title in itself "sing your life" . The VHs of live in Dallas has a horrible live sound , tbat's why a lot of critics/listeners have got this kind of view.

THERE SPEAKS A TRUTH! THE BEST KILL UNCLE CONCERT FOOTAGE IS THIS. YOU ARE SPOT ON ABOUT THE LOOP AS WELL!

THERE SPEAKS A TRUTH! THE BEST KILL UNCLE CONCERT FOOTAGE IS THIS. YOU ARE SPOT ON ABOUT THE LOOP AS WELL!

Ahh the days...... I got onstage in this era. Wonderful memories.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom