"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could say Tony the Pony, and Sing Your Life. The live shows of that time, energetic as they were- were goofy as shit, with Boz and Alain duckwalking all over the place, the upright bass stuff, and overall way it was presented.

Don't hate me for saying it either. We all know that was the awkward, kind of dorky, trying to find their place teenager phase of Morrissey's solo career.

Tony the Pony isn't on the original record though. Sing You Life does have a rockabilly rhythm but I would hardly describe it as "lumpen". I think the reviewer is getting confused with Pregnant For The Last Time and The Loop from the same era, both of which I rather like.

the person from bmg said its his best solo album,maybe they weren't that far wrong.

what a horrific photograph.poor man,poor child.
I think Morrissey would do well to see more photos like it, or see it firsthand. Give him some good binoculars and a penthouse suite with a long view next time he visits.

Tony the Pony isn't on the original record though. Sing You Life does have a rockabilly rhythm but I would hardly describe it as "lumpen". I think the reviewer is getting confused with Pregnant For The Last Time and The Loop from the same era, both of which I rather like.
It was a quirky phase, and I don't think I could name a more love it or hate it song from that era than Pregnant For The Last Time.

It's a well written review, the best of the three so far ~ regardless of the nature of the verdict, and makes me want to actually hear the album.

Always interesting to read how one person's shit is another's hit.

It will be mildly fascinating to see if 'Q' gets the Moz cover next month... ;)

You could say Tony the Pony, and Sing Your Life. The live shows of that time, energetic as they were- were goofy as shit, with Boz and Alain duckwalking all over the place, the upright bass stuff, and overall way it was presented.

Don't hate me for saying it either. We all know that was the awkward, kind of dorky, trying to find their place teenager phase of Morrissey's solo career.

How any Morrissey fan could call the video below the awkward phase of Morrissey's solo career is beyond me, especially as it was so clearly the highpoint:

It was a quirky phase, and I don't think I could name a more love it or hate it song from that era than Pregnant For The Last Time.

í am a Lover :love:

Not if Morrissey had made the inflammatory remarks of recent years in the late 80s/early 90s. Back then there was 'plausible deniability' about some of his quoted words. Now there's no doubt whatsoever that he is a troll who will say anything controversial to get attention. That severely impacts on people's ability to listen to his music and words as he echoes those

You've got to laugh at this shit. Do they 'do' irony where you're from?

How any Morrissey fan could call the video below the awkward phase of Morrissey's solo career is beyond me, especially as it was so clearly the highpoint:

It was awkward around Kill Uncle, it was honed to something better on Arsenal, and it was transformed into a thing of beauty by Vauxhall. C'mon. Tell me that Boz doesn't look like a tit at the chorus. It's pretty corny.

Is the bit about Strangeways (advertised on the cover) interesting?

Hoping for an actual full feature on him from NME or someone.

If you create a Strangeways 30th Anniversary thread I'll take some pics and post them when I'm done.

I genuinely love PFTLT & have done since the first time I played the 12” single the day it was released. It may actually be my favourite Mozzer single. I played it recently & it still has an energy that is lacking from most of his work since.

I know Moz has dismissed the song but personally I think it’s witty, catchy & rocking, with hilarious lyrics (“Phlegm lapels for the last time, corned beef legs for the last time”- who else would write an opening couplet like that?) & I wish he’d done a lot more rockabilly music.

Also, Kill Uncle is really unfairly dismissed. I think it’s a really good album. The music has more variation than anything he’s done since & there are some great songs. He really should’ve written more with Nevin. I’ve Changed My Plea & I know It’s Gonna Happen are two of the finest songs he’s written with ANYBODY, in my opinion.

He’s spent the past quarter of a century in a boring ditch of samey, unoriginal guitar music. That’s not to say he hasn’t produced some brilliant songs, but it’s clear that throughout his solo career he’s never found any collaborators who are his equal, & that’s a real shame. But, oh well, A duo like Morrissey & Marr is a once in a lifetime gift, right?

Btw, I think Spent The Day In Bed is
his all-time worst single. I wish he’d never written, recorded or released it. Truly dire.

The rock a billy was essentally him trying to relive the NY Dolls. It was far from his awkward years. Most of his best solo gigs were around this time, up tp 95 / 96
In various ways after that tour morrissey became pretty shit.. Jake London and then LA f***ed him over.
Now hes pretty Hollow

Did Ally post this, I think so " Oh Dear " was a constant full stop for years.
And he told me he never comes on here

"In other climes they bitch and whine, just because you are not like them."
Catchy. If it turns into a single, here's a cover idea.

Girls of the IDF might be better.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom