"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey comes out in support of the powerful Zionist settler-colonial oppressor and it's unceasing land grab ."Who Will Protect Us From The Israel 'Defense' Force". Isn't he plucky.

Without seeing/hearing the full lyrics, it's impossible to reach any conclusions. I assume you have digested the lyrics and they support your claim?

i just managed to get a promo and it is a great album. Much better than the previous one. He gets rid of the guitar wall of sound, a lot of keyboard and atmospheric sound. I bury the living is one of the best of the album. Israel is a little too melodramatic for me with its military drumroll.

Interesting... With all the reviews and promo copies going out, it seems like a matter of time before it leaks (and YES! for the Immoral Majority crowd, I'll be buy a copy of the album when it drops, so spare me the sermonizing). ;-)

Is the bit about Strangeways (advertised on the cover) interesting?

Hoping for an actual full feature on him from NME or someone.

I think you're onto something. He hasn't come up with a Smiths-worthy sound in decades. Not to say that it's necessarily always a bad thing, just the facts, musically speaking.

But hey, all the Millennials I know are all about the entire Smiths discog, and couldn't name 3 Morrissey songs. Including any of the hits, IE: Sunday etc. So I agree that there seems to be a concerted effort to sell to casual Smiths fans.

I'm not going to try to argue that the new material is on par with The Smiths; however, I've found myself having Spent the Day in Bed and Jacky's Only Happy getting stuck in my head. Naturally this may just be a personal problem, but I'd venture to say he's written some catchy tunes this time around.

In any case (and this is in no way in response to your post), shouldn't we just be happy we're getting any album/any new material at this stage of the game? It doesn't provide carte blanche to release dreck, but I don't think that's what we're going to get.

Last edited:
I know it's easy to forget sometimes but this is actually a Morrissey fan site. Some of us actually quite like the guy.

So what? Why should that privilege your opinion above those who dislike/detest/are indifferent to him?

So what? Why should that privilege your opinion above those who dislike/detest/are indifferent to him?

I for one didn't read their post that way. It's just with fans like these, who needs fiends...

Why don't you go away and create a Morrissey hate site. Then I can come over there and stalk it with all my positively. Hours of fun, right?

I cant stand his band, it's cabaret cruise ship shite. The music is arguably worse than the lyrics, too many cooks, too convoluted, just a noisy mess. Moz needs to ditch his band and start over. THEN we might get the album we've all been craving.
You will never get the album you're craving

I'm not going to try to argue that the new material is on par with The Smiths; however, I've found myself having Spent the Day in Bed and Jacky's Only Happy getting stuck in my head. Naturally this may just be a personal problem, but I'd venture to say he's written some catchy tunes this time around.

In any case (and this is in no way in response to your post), shouldn't we just be happy we're getting any album/any new material at this stage of the game? It doesn't provide carte blanche to release dreck, but I don't think that's what we're going to get.
By all means I'm happy to be getting new music from the guy. I was a child when I first heard him, and now I have a child of my own, am approaching my own middle age, and there's still Morrissey albums? Nice.

As for catchy- Yes, he's definitely crafted some insidious earworms this time around.
Regarding catchy as far as Spent the Day in Bed though- Syphilis is also catchy, but I don't like the thought of that, either.

Immensely interesting to see that the reviewer rates Kill Uncle as Moz's best record.
"early turkeys such as 1991's Kill Uncle"
The highest of praise!

By all means I'm happy to be getting new music from the guy. I was a child when I first heard him, and now I have a child of my own, am approaching my own middle age, and there's still Morrissey albums? Nice.

As for catchy- Yes, he's definitely crafted some insidious earworms this time around.
Regarding catchy as far as Spent the Day in Bed though- Syphilis is also catchy, but I don't like the though of that, either.
Ha!!!! ;-)

What a lame review ! Comparing the style and the music of Spent The Day In Bed to Girlfriend In A Coma is hilarious: this completely discredits the whole paper. Frankly, the Bontempi keyboards of 2017 vs the majestic beauty of Girlfriend, this is grotesque: no one would have dared he did. Each time, one is told that it is his best lp since Vauxhall. The rockjournalism has reached its nadir these days.

Is there even "lumpen rockabilly" on Kill Uncle?
You could say Tony the Pony, and Sing Your Life. The live shows of that time, energetic as they were- were goofy as shit, with Boz and Alain duckwalking all over the place, the upright bass stuff, and overall way it was presented.

Don't hate me for saying it either. We all know that was the awkward, kind of dorky, trying to find their place teenager phase of Morrissey's solo career.

"In other climes they bitch and whine, just because you are not like them."
Catchy. If it turns into a single, here's a cover idea.
what a horrific photograph.poor man,poor child.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom