"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like this one is more of a proper review and less of just a character assassination

Hopefully we’ll get an impression of what the songs sound like from this review

This album is going to end up with a 60%-ish on metacritic after all of the reviews come in, ONLY because 99% of the reviewers don't like Morrissey's politics. If this exact same album had been released in the late 80s/early 90s it would've been at 90% on metacritic.

Interesting decision to highlight (and include) a praising Smiths feature in the same issue - timely publicity... or embarrassment over their celebratory review of a man with a malfunctioning switch-blade tongue, now reduced to tactless witticisms à la "I love my bed"...? :rolleyes:

"Spent The Day In Bed rekindles the magic of Smiths classics such as Girlfriend In A Coma."
"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage is genuinely Smiths-worthy."

No no no, they are not trying to sell this album to casual Smiths fans who have long stopped listening. Oh no, what could possibly give you that impression?
Well...there is also the possibility that the reviewer is actually deaf I suppose.

In any case, f*** reviewers, their opinions are of no relevance to me, never have been.
I either like an album or I don't, no need for anyone to help me make up my mind.

I am still hoping it will be a good one of course.

"Spent The Day In Bed rekindles the magic of Smiths classics such as Girlfriend In A Coma."
"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage is genuinely Smiths-worthy."

No no no, they are not trying to sell this album to casual Smiths fans who have long stopped listening. Oh no, what could possibly give you that impression?
Well...there is also the possibility that the reviewer is actually deaf I suppose.

In any case, f*** reviewers, their opinions are of no relevance to me, never have been.
I either like an album or I don't, no need for anyone to help me make up my mind.

I am still hoping it will be a good one of course.
I think you're onto something. He hasn't come up with a Smiths-worthy sound in decades. Not to say that it's necessarily always a bad thing, just the facts, musically speaking.

But hey, all the Millennials I know are all about the entire Smiths discog, and couldn't name 3 Morrissey songs. Including any of the hits, IE: Sunday etc. So I agree that there seems to be a concerted effort to sell to casual Smiths fans.

This album is going to end up with a 60%-ish on metacritic after all of the reviews come in, ONLY because 99% of the reviewers don't like Morrissey's politics. If this exact same album had been released in the late 80s/early 90s it would've been at 90% on metacritic.

Not if Morrissey had made the inflammatory remarks of recent years in the late 80s/early 90s. Back then there was 'plausible deniability' about some of his quoted words. Now there's no doubt whatsoever that he is a troll who will say anything controversial to get attention. That severely impacts on people's ability to listen to his music and words as he echoes those

It's amazing the anger a good review ignites here.

Not nearly as much anger as a bad review.

i just managed to get a promo and it is a great album. Much better than the previous one. He gets rid of the guitar wall of sound, a lot of keyboard and atmospheric sound. I bury the living is one of the best of the album. Israel is a little too melodramatic for me with its military drumroll.

Morrissey comes out in support of the powerful Zionist settler-colonial oppressor and it's unceasing land grab ."Who Will Protect Us From The Israel 'Defense' Force". Isn't he plucky.
"In other climes they bitch and whine, just because you are not like them."
Catchy. If it turns into a single, here's a cover idea.

Attachments

• AR-310129944.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20151015064733.jpeg
    AR-310129944.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20151015064733.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom