"Lover-To-Be" red vinyl 45 released today for Record Store Day (13 April, 2019)

47197_i_thought_you_were_dead_bside.jpg

5d6f87fa4c4936bb8f02aced575868d4.jpg

Today sees the release of Lover-To-Be b/w
I Thought You Were Dead 7" red vinyl.

Both tracks were recorded in 2017 as part of the Low In High School sessions (confirmed by Damiano Mazzarella who contributes vocals - via his IG and by the vinyl itself).

With no clear details, it appears there are somewhere between 1000-4000 copies of this record worldwide.
That said: by hook or by crook the B-side will eventually appear here for people to hear.
There have always been decent people here who strive to share rarities and this track won't be an exception.
Even if I have to tunnel through my storage locker to find my turntable.

This year's RSD has a very varied mixture of rarities and the general feeling I just experienced at the midnight opening event I attended was positive and friendly - no tension over the rarer items.

The Bowie stuff went quickly.
I managed to nab a Propaganda box set - The Eight Testaments of Propaganda (not had a ZTT record in a long time),
Lover-To-Be, Lee Scratch Perry 7" (with Boz, Johnny Bridgewood & Woodie Taylor), Clockwork Orange 7", Bowie - Pinups picture disc & Prince 12". Overall, a pretty good haul. There was an eclectic mix of things on offer this year and I'd guess the industry will only offer more of the same next year.
RSD really does appear to have grown in popularity.

I missed out on the great looking Bowie - Just a Gigolo blue vinyl, Bronski Beat pic disc, Art Of Noise, Suede (coming out anyway) and The Fall, but hopefully the Ebay vultures will go easy on me.

I know very few people went record shopping at midnight, but feel free to contribute your successes and regrets if you are participating in RSD today.

Tired & spent out.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:

Quite. I've followed Morrissey since 1986. And more than anyone I can think of - I'm a fan of Dylan, Cohen, Cave, etc. - he does seem to shed fans and win fans with every release. From about Strangeways onwards, I'd say. I remember standing in the queue for the Wolvehampton gigs and listening to people saying Viva Hate was "okay" but "not as good as the Smiths", etc. But it is genuinely amazing to me though how there's always new crop of young fans coming through.

I'll make no great claims about this song - but it doesn't strike me as any worse than his other throwaways like I Keep Mine Hidden, Oh Phoney, Now I Am A Was, I Knew I Was Next, etc. etc. It's an enjoyable listen and probably better than some.

I’m very happy thank you. I said his last TWO albums were atrocious, not “4 or 5”, don’t start making stuff up to suit yourself. I actually like a few of his second phase era LPs, (by that I mean after the Maladjusted hiatus). The one with the Tommy Gun on the cover & the Violin, they’re quite good.
Like you said to each his own. I'm wasting my time, and others. Have a great day

Morrissey Central?? It's all about selling his 7" to get his desired #1 in the vinyl singles charts.

Two hours after a small record store opened in Berlin, there were still many singles on the shelves.
1000 seems to be UK only.
A RSD release - really?
The Smiths vs. Bowie release was the closest to the idea you assert in the context of RSD.
Morrissey Central is a point of reference for consumers - it shouldn't be for people to need to second guess what they are saying to people - Sam is more than capable of saying '1000 per region' rather than exaggerate false scarcity.
IDRC about the actual amount of singles made. I'd just like information to be accurate and that would help facilitate needing to reply less to things on here - like you pointing concepts out to me.
Regards,
FWD.

A RSD release - really?
The Smiths vs. Bowie release was the closest to the idea you assert in the context of RSD.
Morrissey Central is a point of reference for consumers - it shouldn't be for people to need to second guess what they are saying to people - Sam is more than capable of saying '1000 per region' rather than exaggerate false scarcity.
IDRC about the actual amount of singles made. I'd just like information to be accurate and that would help facilitate needing to reply less to things on here - like you pointing concepts out to me.
Regards,
FWD.
Didn'tm
Morrissey Central?? It's all about selling his 7" to get his desired #1 in the vinyl singles charts.

Two hours after a small record store opened in Berlin, there were still many singles on the shelves.
1000 seems to be UK only.
Well not alot in usa if any, thank God there are great friends in Birmingham Uk... thanks grit sandwich....forever thankful to you

Hey, is the song supposed to be in mono and very poor fidelity? Is this the way it actually sounds on purpose or is there a better version out there? Thanks, everybody.

Hi

I spent the morning queuing in Manchester for the vinyl only to fail. However I managed to get a copy from one of the two record stores in Burnley. When I left both shops still had plenty of copies.

There names are on record store day website.

Yes, the other youtube video of the song is ALSO in mono and extremely poor quality. I can't tell if this is some weird on purpose thing from Morrissey or if this is a very bad rip of the song.

Well, it seems that "I Thought You 'Was' Dead" is the true gem here...hidden away for a bit much like the other two gems: "Have A Go Merchant" and "Good Looking Man About Town" ...hope we hear it on tour....it's a delicious track...

Yes, the other youtube video of the song is ALSO in mono and extremely poor quality. I can't tell if this is some weird on purpose thing from Morrissey or if this is a very bad rip of the song.
Just looked via audacity - all 3 versions (the YT ones probably came from here as they are beyond similar wave forms) have 2 channels and there is slight variance between left and right channels.
There will undoubtedly be a FLAC at some point.
Still, people got to hear it today without coughing up money and that's not a bad thing.
Regards,
FWD.

How can you sit there and say

How can you say songs like
Kiss the Bride
One of our own
Art hounds
I bury the living
Who will protect from police
are not good, this is how I know you are talking a bunch of rubbish, and you are part of the hate group trolling this site, because you must be a crashing bore
world peace had some great reviews when it came out,you can bung Istanbul ,staircase and forgive someone in there as well.

Yep! I bought the lot up for £120 (10 copies) with the mind there was only 1,000. If I didn’t buy them someone else would’ve, and just flipped them for 3, 4x what there worth. At least I’m letting the fans have them for £12 a piece, none of the ones I have will see eBay.
With the amount I’ve now seen tho, and if anyone’s been checking Discogs hourly like I have, you’ll see dozens from Portugal, Germany, and an unusually high amount from Italy, so 4,000 is deffo the likely number!

Yup, there are literally about 100 copies on eBay right now.

Just looked via audacity - all 3 versions (the YT ones probably came from here as they are beyond similar wave forms) have 2 channels and there is slight variance between left and right channels.
There will undoubtedly be a FLAC at some point.
Still, people got to hear it today without coughing up money and that's not a bad thing.
Regards,
FWD.

I’ve bought the 7“ today in Germany.
The b-side sounds like a demo with the sound is so poor. Reminds me of „Treat me like a human being“.
Maybe It would grow on me with clear sound and voice. But with this crap sound I’m truly disappointed!

Yep! I bought the lot up for £120 (10 copies) with the mind there was only 1,000.
Alternatively, you just screwed the next 9 genuine Morrissey fans who came in the store from being able to buy one at retail price, so now they have to resort to paying over the odds on Ebay. Well done, fella. o_O

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom