"Lover-To-Be" red vinyl 45 released today for Record Store Day (13 April, 2019)

47197_i_thought_you_were_dead_bside.jpg

5d6f87fa4c4936bb8f02aced575868d4.jpg

Today sees the release of Lover-To-Be b/w
I Thought You Were Dead 7" red vinyl.

Both tracks were recorded in 2017 as part of the Low In High School sessions (confirmed by Damiano Mazzarella who contributes vocals - via his IG and by the vinyl itself).

With no clear details, it appears there are somewhere between 1000-4000 copies of this record worldwide.
That said: by hook or by crook the B-side will eventually appear here for people to hear.
There have always been decent people here who strive to share rarities and this track won't be an exception.
Even if I have to tunnel through my storage locker to find my turntable.

This year's RSD has a very varied mixture of rarities and the general feeling I just experienced at the midnight opening event I attended was positive and friendly - no tension over the rarer items.

The Bowie stuff went quickly.
I managed to nab a Propaganda box set - The Eight Testaments of Propaganda (not had a ZTT record in a long time),
Lover-To-Be, Lee Scratch Perry 7" (with Boz, Johnny Bridgewood & Woodie Taylor), Clockwork Orange 7", Bowie - Pinups picture disc & Prince 12". Overall, a pretty good haul. There was an eclectic mix of things on offer this year and I'd guess the industry will only offer more of the same next year.
RSD really does appear to have grown in popularity.

I missed out on the great looking Bowie - Just a Gigolo blue vinyl, Bronski Beat pic disc, Art Of Noise, Suede (coming out anyway) and The Fall, but hopefully the Ebay vultures will go easy on me.

I know very few people went record shopping at midnight, but feel free to contribute your successes and regrets if you are participating in RSD today.

Tired & spent out.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
okay, lover-to-be, this was it. no second chance.
went to the local rsd vinyl store this morning through heavy snow after my groceries shopping tour with some potatoes in one bag and some washing powder in my left hand, ready to meet the 45 single within the stipulated time.
there were already four vinyl know-it-alls discussing rsd through their beards with the owner inside the store. the two rsd boxes contained mostly john lennon, bob dylan and van morrisson.
i then inquired for the morrissey single, the rsd guys fell silent and watched me all over probably thinking that it is morrissey who draws in the chicks. the owner told me there hasnt been any morrissey but he might be on "hold back" which allegedly means that the single might come in within the next 6 weeks.
i declined the offer to visit the store for the next 6 weeks regularly and went home.
as i said, lover-to-be, if you cannot even be punctual on our first date, then there won't be a second chance. thats it. goodbye.
that's crap lanterns,least you made the effort.least you got your soap powder,put on a washing,put your feet up and listen to a Morrissey album.

DCDFB88D-41A2-4088-A53D-1124D5C9FE9A.jpeg
very good haul,how much all in.
I dread to think, took visits to 2 cities and several shops to get hold of Lover -To -Be despite leaving home at a ridiculously early time. Won a case of cider though....

Last edited:
I was gonna say the exact same thing the other day to those who claim his recent material is on par with his early stuff. If you erase all of Mozzas material pre-2014, and take his last two albums as measuring stick, how many fans would he have. Truth is, most of us are here because of the Smiths & Viva Hate, Vauxhall etc. His past glories have carried him far enough for me, he needs to come with sometime big next time around, or I wouldn’t mind if he retired.
Yes, but you must remember that around 2014, Moz made a conscious decision to try something different, as he thought he was being too repetitious with his themes. This is him stepping out of his comfort zone. I'd judge the songs much more harshly if I didn't know that.
Tackling politics in song is difficult to do well and Moz is no Billy Bragg.

I listen to his new songs and I find them enjoyable, though not as enjoyable as I find Sister I'm a Poet. I've loved his past two albums- though not as much as The Queen is Dead. I've been around since '87 and I'm still in awe when I see him live. That's why I'm still here.

I was gonna say the exact same thing the other day to those who claim his recent material is on par with his early stuff. If you erase all of Mozzas material pre-2014, and take his last two albums as measuring stick, how many fans would he have. Truth is, most of us are here because of the Smiths & Viva Hate, Vauxhall etc. His past glories have carried him far enough for me, he needs to come with sometime big next time around, or I wouldn’t mind if he retired.
That is the most ridiculous statement .....retire ,come on now....really

I gave it several listens, more than it deserves.
It is pants.
And as more of often than not with recent releases, it's the music that I have a problem with.
The acid test is rather simple - if this wasn't Moz, would I give it a second listen? The answer? Nope, a resounding NO.
Another one, with no taste......we got another one Boss

Yes, but you must remember that around 2014, Moz made a conscious decision to try something different, as he thought he was being too repetitious with his themes. This is him stepping out of his comfort zone. I'd judge the songs much more harshly if I didn't know that.
Tackling politics in song is difficult to do well and Moz is no Billy Bragg.

I listen to his new songs and I find them enjoyable, though not as enjoyable as I find Sister I'm a Poet. I've loved his past two albums- though not as much as The Queen is Dead. I've been around since '87 and I'm still in awe when I see him live. That's why I'm still here.

If you came down from Mars now, and were introduced to Morrissey’s music via Low In High School & World Peace Is None Of Your Business, would that be enough to make you a fanatic? You’d meet it with lukewarm approval, imo. We give him a pass wether we like to admit it or not, what he’s done before carries so much weight we let the shite slide. Why listen to anything from his last two albums when you can just listen to Alsatian Cousin, Late Night Maudlin Street, etc. I don’t get it. But each to their own.

If it’s retire and keep his legacy somewhat in tact, or just go thru the motions and churn out poor album, after poor album, then yes, absolutely, hang it up.

Well, that's, of course, not your decision to make. Your decision is whether to stay and keep listening or go elsewhere. If there's a smell you don't like in a public place, do you seek it out and exterminate it or do you move away from it?
As I said earlier, I don't think he's going through the motions. He's doing something different, which he's poorer at. He's not simply resting on his laurels- but I think he's relying on them. He knows that he has a loyal audience who'll stick with him no matter what he produces, so there's room for experimentation.
Thank goodness he's not in Vegas flinging flowers around and singing his greatest hits! I think his career has aged very well.

Ignore my last post. It's a result of Anonymous delay.
Yes, I agree. If he was producing albums like these in the 80's, they would've have sparked my interest, but I probably would've all but forgotten about him by now.

But if you think the last two albums were crap, why do you hang around? (serious question, not quoting suedehead) Do you expect him to come out with something that'll blow your mind? And do you think you'll ever give up on his new releases?

How can you sit there and say
If you came down from Mars now, and were introduced to Morrissey’s music via Low In High School & World Peace Is None Of Your Business, would that be enough to make you a fanatic? You’d meet it with lukewarm approval, imo. We give him a pass wether we like to admit it or not, what he’s done before carries so much weight we let the shite slide. Why listen to anything from his last two albums when you can just listen to Alsatian Cousin, Late Night Maudlin Street, etc. I don’t get it. But each to their own.
How can you say songs like
Kiss the Bride
One of our own
Art hounds
I bury the living
Who will protect from police
are not good, this is how I know you are talking a bunch of rubbish, and you are part of the hate group trolling this site, because you must be a crashing bore

Morrissey Central?? It's all about selling his 7" to get his desired #1 in the vinyl singles charts.

Two hours after a small record store opened in Berlin, there were still many singles on the shelves.
1000 seems to be UK only.

It was actually Morrissey Central asserting only 1000 copies - you'd think they'd be in a position to know.

How can you sit there and say

How can you say songs like
Kiss the Bride
One of our own
Art hounds
I bury the living
Who will protect from police
are not good, this is how I know you are talking a bunch of rubbish, and you are part of the hate group trolling this site, because you must be a crashing bore

Down voting and flinging insults simply cos’ you don’t agree. Who’s the troll? ;)

If you came down from Mars now, and were introduced to Morrissey’s music via Low In High School & World Peace Is None Of Your Business, would that be enough to make you a fanatic? You’d meet it with lukewarm approval, imo.

I actually know people who have become fans precisely because of those two albums.

Down voting and flinging insults simply cos’ you don’t agree. Who’s the troll? ;)
Well I'm not trying to insult you, I dont get it....if what you say is so true, and you seem determined that his last 4 or 5 lps are garbage. Why not just say "I guess I should listen to someone else, Ole Mozzer, just not doing it for me no more, " then you could move forward and be happy go lucky . Sorry if I called you a crashing bore....I just want you to to smile ,life isnt that bad

Well I'm not trying to insult you, I dont get it....if what you say is so true, and you seem determined that his last 4 or 5 lps are garbage. Why not just say "I guess I should listen to someone else, Ole Mozzer, just not doing it for me no more, " then you could move forward and be happy go lucky . Sorry if I called you a crashing bore....I just want you to to smile ,life isnt that bad

I’m very happy thank you. I said his last TWO albums were atrocious, not “4 or 5”, don’t start making stuff up to suit yourself. I actually like a few of his second phase era LPs, (by that I mean after the Maladjusted hiatus). The one with the Tommy Gun on the cover & the Violin, they’re quite good.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom