Love will tear us apart - not Joy Division

Voodoo Doll

I watched a couple of films the other week, one was called Closer and the other was called Red ROad. At the end of one of them as they were rolling the credits (I forget which of the 2 films it was now) they played a version of love will tear us apart, definitely not Joy Division. It was only piano and I think sung by a woman. I tried to see on the credits but the writing was so bloody small I couldnt read it. It sounded so beautiful I really have to listen to it again! Any ideas who it could be then I dont have to rent the 2 films again to find out which one it was?

I am kind of a big JD fan and although I hate to admit it, it's not bad at all.

there's not many bands who can touch joy division. the lyrics were so personal and sung with such feeling. cover versions don't have a patch on the emotion driven originals :( although love will tear us apart covered by the cure was quite nice i suppose...retract statement lol

I am kind of a big JD fan and I love to admit that the Cure's version makes me ill....thank you for the retraction.

What do Joy Division fans think of New Order's constant performance of it?

I remember a show in the late 80's that a friend went to, where they did one or 2 Joy Division songs as an encore....a special treat, you would say...

When New Order reconviened after the 1990's hiatus, it seemed that half of their set were Joy Division songs, with the staples Ceremony, Temptation, Blue Monday, Bizarre Love Triangle, and True Faith, Regret, and then songs for the new albums...I think they rarely if ever played any of the other early singles (Everything's Gone Green, Confusion, Thieves Like Us, Shellshock, Subculture, Touched By The Hand Of God, Round And Round, Fine Time, Run 2...etc...etc..not to mention the only album tracks I think they would play consistantly would be Your Silent Face and Every Little Counts...

Personally, If I was paying to see New Order, that's who I would want to see play...

yeah they did a full set of joy division songs only good one they did was ceremony. i think new order should have played just new order. its like monaco should play JUST monaco and not joy division. bernard just cant hack division songs, not the voice for it, atmosphere was ok but still lacks the effortless power curtis used. monaco are playing at manchester ritz, oxjam gig by the way.

yeah they did a full set of joy division songs only good one they did was ceremony. i think new order should have played just new order. .

I think New Order only ever played two gigs comprised of JD songs:one as a tribute to John Peel and another for a cancer charity gig in Manchester.
Seems fair enough to me.
Ceremony ,though written by JD,was released by New Order.

What do Joy Division fans think of New Order's constant performance of it?

It's their song and usually played as a tribute to their lost friend.
I see no problem them playing it as much as they darn well please.
So much better than any of the piss poor cover versions of it.

Last edited:
It's their song and usually played as a tribute to their lost friend.
I see no problem them playing it as much as they darn well please.
So much better than any of the piss poor cover version of it.

One Joy Division song isn't annoying...it's when half of their set is Joy Division songs....

I know...I am impossible to please....There are just so many New Order songs that they stopped playing when they decided to become Joy Division again....

the songs also used in the the film, Series 7, the Contenders.

its quite funny...in a sick way. its kinda an american dock reality show, where people are picked outa state loterry and have to kill each other, and the the last person standing is the winner. its a gud film, quite funny in places. 2 of the characters are ex teenage lovers, and shows them making some dodgy video to J.D!

although i occasionally like good cover versions of good songs, i must say, this one doesn’t do it for me.
it misses all that makes "love will tear us apart" one of my all times favourite: despair, darkness, the feeling of being lost (again).

ba

Back
Top Bottom