Louder Than War / Susan Sloan: "Kristeen Young – interview" (August 19, 2022)

Kristeen-Young-1068x610.jpeg

Missouri-born singer-songwriter Kristeen Young has been producing her unique cocktail of ‘dissonant piano bashing, operatic vocals and serrated lyrics’ since her debut album Meet Miss Young And Her All Boy Band in 1997. She has toured and worked with artists such as Morrissey and David Bowie. Her 11th studio album The Beauty Shop was released in July 2022.

"You have an impressive back catalogue including collaborations with artists like Bowie, Morrissey and Tony Visconti, yet you still have the raw energy of a new artist. How do you keep your passion for performing and recording at full speed?

I love NOW. It’s important to be cognisant of now and what is going on. I don’t look back very much. I hate nostalgia. I love ideas, I want to grow. I want to learn something new with everything I do. I never think anything is good enough or I’ve arrived at anything. In fact I hate everything I’ve done. f*** Bowie. f*** Morrissey. Who needs TV when you’ve got yourself? Do you know what I mean?"

Regards,
FWD.

» yes but…when I say that….I don’t mean him personally or even him as an artist. I respect him as an artist.….I mean I’m done talking about these very loved men I’ve worked with. I’m done seeing their names at the top of any media piece about my music. I’m done with any kind of celebrity culture. «

Comment by kristeenyoung on https://www.instagram.com/p/ChhXFGsOEiM

Looks like she’s at the hair dressers .

I’ve suffered this lady at least twice whilst she opened for Morrissey, and I have to say her music is truely
Appalling. As Gordyboy says, at least she won’t be asked back .

I have to admire her commitment to a complete fantasy world, and how she still manages to pretend she is a viable pop star and worse how she is a strong feminist icon

We know she pretends to be a strong do-it-yourself female while having songs and gigs crested by TV and we know she is only known due to Bowie and M and she is only known to a small group of people - the people who flock to her page are the same ones who go to James Makers, in a way.
I honestly do admire how she carries on, i mean most people would be crushed that even after all these years. After playing with M for years and doing a song with Bowie etc, she still cannot sell out a tiny pub in LA or London.
I am not attacking her. I do find her commitment amazing

I wonder if she realises that the more edgy and Avant Garde she tries to come across, the more contrived her persona appears.

She hasn't made a dent in the collective music listeners conscience after 11 albums. Less than 1500 monthly listeners on Spotify. That should be a massive clue to how her 'work' is landing.
I don't know but even my daughters friend , who is 12 .
Laughed out right and said "shit "
"fake " a "rip off " and "unoriginal "
My daughter said "well, she tries " which was even worse

Ky is not edgy or anything. She doesn't even know what punk is
She is embarrassing .
But you got to love M for trying to help her

"I’m done seeing their names at the top of any media piece about my music. "
so she puts their names on her post. " LOL
She knows she needs them to get any interest. Morrissey has so many people like her in his life.
I feel for the guy

» Regarding the pull quote: I say this with love of course. I'm grateful and adore, but at some point you have to be your own person, your own artist. I think this is part of the curse of gender. But, I was just saying I didn't want to talk about them. I'm sure you understand. You're smart. «

Kristeen Young on facebook

OMG i should have read all before commenting . She gets worse. She acts like its her being a woman is why she is mentioned below them
Its not its cause they are the artists people love, Ir would have been the same if she worked with Kate Bush or even GAGA, they are the bigger artists people love and want to hear more about.Its not about gender.
she is cuch a cloat chaser .
in fact in many ways KY is the OG of clout chasing

All I know about Kristen Young is that her voice, music, and attitude all completely suck. Other than that I'm not familiar with her "career".

some people go into the music or film industry looking to make it but without the fame,not saying ms young is one of those but you take someone like barbara streisand who literally hasnt left her house for years apart from one night when she went to buy ice cream or harrison ford who absolutely detests being famous.1500 plays on spotify is poor but it also means 1500 people have pressed play.love her or hate her at least she is doing something i presume she loves doing.

I don't know but even my daughters friend , who is 12 .
Laughed out right and said "shit "
"fake " a "rip off " and "unoriginal "
Wow, I’d love to see that 12 year old’s playlist, music collection. It must be full of great music! when music was original, from the 60’s, 70’s IMO.

Anyway, I never heard of such a thing, and find it quite unbelievable. I could only assume the child has really cool parents or older siblings.

Ky is not edgy or anything. She doesn't even know what punk is
She is embarrassing .
But you got to love M for trying to help her

some people go into the music or film industry looking to make it but without the fame,not saying ms young is one of those but you take someone like barbara streisand who literally hasnt left her house for years apart from one night when she went to buy ice cream or harrison ford who absolutely detests being famous.1500 plays on spotify is poor but it also means 1500 people have pressed play.love her or hate her at least she is doing something i presume she loves doing.

Right on !

I could be wrong, but I don’t care for her ego, which seems to be the (only?) thing that’s driving her.

But at least she’s out there being creative, which is probably a hell of a lot more than you can say for some of the people on here criticizing her.

Fair doos. Personally, Probably the best support I’ve seen was Girl in a Coma

for me it’s… Gallon Drunk, probably the best band he’s had on tour opening for him. Though, not as interesting, Marion wasn’t that bad.

Besides them, I prefer the pre-show videos as opening act, lol.

Someone remind me what the cunnilingus comment she made was?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom