'Louder Than Bombs' Is this The Smiths best album?

This was a COMPILATION for the stupid, useless yanks,not a proper album shitehead!

Re: This was a COMPILATION for the stupid, useless yanks,not a proper album shitehead!

Stop being naughty, Ian.

Uhh, what do you think Hatful and The World Won't Listen were?

Those were the two albums that Louder than Bombs was culled from.

The World Won't Listen
From LASID:
The sequel to Hatful Of Hollow, released in early 1987. Made up of singles, B-sides, and rare tracks, this 18-song compilation is unusual in that it features two instrumentals...

From Amazon.com:
1986 hits & B-sides comp on WEA International.

Haftul of Hollow
From LASID:
A cut-price compilation of two BBC sessions (John Peel, 21/9/83 and Kid Jensen, 4/7/83) and recent singles tracks, released in November 1984. It charted at No. 7 in the UK album charts.
That such a sizable compilation of such extreme quality was released so early on in The Smiths' career merely shows just how brilliant a band they were.

Are there any "true" albums from The Smiths other than The Smiths and Queen is Dead, and maybe Strangeways?

Re: This was a COMPILATION for the stupid, useless yanks,not a proper album shitehead!

Doesn't mean it can't be good.
You get more for your money with the compilations anyway

Re: Uhh, what do you think Hatful and The World Won't Listen were?

Er...Meat is Murder?

> What does everyone think? I feel it might b their best.

Well, I do remember an interesting comment in Abrahan's (a somewhat famous Moz Hispanic fan who frequents this site) account of his two personal meetings with Morrissey on Abrahan's website. I think it was their second meeting, and Moz spotted "Louder than Bombs" on the car seat. Abrahan relates that Moz said: "That's my favorite".

Also, "Louder than Bombs" was the first Smiths (or Morrissey) album I ever heard, and is the one that got me hooked. Only after absorbing its profundities did I venture out to purchase all of the other Smiths albums (and "compilations" for the anally retentive). The rest, as they say, is history.

Finally, I apologize to Abrahan for not having the diacritical accent mark on his name -- I don't know how to type it in this little text box. I hate those confounded things anyway.

Blessings,

MP

if I could only take one Smiths album to a desert island, I'd take Louder than Bombs for the vast array of songs on there. Its superb, even if its is only a compilation.

Re: Right, right.

> I hate that damn album.
World won't listen is the Best Smiths Album

Re: Right, right.

Did I say I liked you? Meat is Murder is the rockingest Smiths album. It rules. With the exception of the last track, of course. "The Headmaster Ritual" alone makes it a classic in my book.

Are you smoking crack? Morrissey himself has said he is immensely proud of Louder Than Bombs.

Okay, he was primarily referring to the iconic cover art of Shelagh Delaney, but it's still a classic, classic album. A must have, definately. It's epic in proportions and just gorgeous all around. It is infiniately superior to The World Won't Listen (although I do like "Money Changes Everything" better than "Oscillate Wildly"). Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with compilations. You don't go around bashing Singles do you? That's generally recognized as THE Smiths album to own for casual and new fans and it's fab. The Diana Dors cover art, the way it flows, everything. I wish that some of the really early Smiths stuff would be compiled into an album. I have most of it anyway, in one form or another, but I'd love another Smiths album to waste my money on. At this point, I'm even considering getting the Best Ofs and the Very Best Of (my only three hold outs in the Smiths canon) simply for the change of playlists. Yeah, I could burn those playlists for myself, but where's the fun in that?

I was just being silly.

"I hate that damn album" is just about the least likely thing you'd ever hear me say regarding a Smiths record. So I said it. I'm funny that way.

> Well, I do remember an interesting comment in Abrahan's (a somewhat famous
> Moz Hispanic fan who frequents this site) account of his two personal
> meetings with Morrissey on Abrahan's website. I think it was their second
> meeting, and Moz spotted "Louder than Bombs" on the car seat.
> Abrahan relates that Moz said: "That's my favorite".

Are you quoting a stalker?

Excuses, excuses. Just kidding. Blasphemy is never funny. Except when it's about God.

Back
Top Bottom