Lost, rare Smiths item that sold at auction

A

Anonymous

Did anyone else notice a very rare Smiths item that sold at auction, (NOT EBAY) this past week?
I didn't think I would ever see one for sale, EVER... I have only seen a picture on one once. It went way out of my price range.
Does anyone know what it is?

Re: Lost, rare Smiths item that sold at auction.

This was at auction last week. First time I have ever seen a picture of one besides RC magazine.
It went way past my bid of $550.00

Wow, you never see those. Ever. I was starting to believe it didn't exist. Where was it posted for sale?

Just read the details about this on Passions. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Pretty cool item.

Yes, make sure to click on "collector's appendix" and then it's under UK LP Test Pressing. It talks about it where it says "test pressing in alternate sleeve".

Is the info in the Rank section? I must be blind.

I would definitely put that in the top 5. I would basically put all the Maykings (quite literally all of them), this Rank mispress and maybe a 7" TCM TP as the top rarities. The '83 HIG TPs that were going around are super rare but half the Maykings out there people have seen 1, maybe 2 of at best, and there are 5 (known) of the '83 HIGs. Keep in mind a Bigmouth Mayking was just recently discovered (to my knowledge) and then a HIG Mayking in 2012, which was crazy to hear about. I haven't even seen the alleged QID Mayking or the Joke Mayking, but would probably **** myself if I did. :) I might even say the cowboy kid 7" is getting up there. To me it seems those are becoming more rare than HIG negs or RATF tp's.

Last edited:
I would definitely put that in the top 5. I would basically put all the Maykings (quite literally all of them), this Rank mispress and maybe a 7" TCM TP as the top rarities. The '83 HIG TPs that were going around are super rare but half the Maykings out there people have seen 1, maybe 2 of at best, and there are 5 (known) of the '83 HIGs. Keep in mind a Bigmouth Mayking was just recently discovered (to my knowledge) and then a HIG Mayking in 2012, which was crazy to hear about. I haven't even seen the alleged QID Mayking or the Joke Mayking, but would probably **** myself if I did. :) I might even say the cowboy kid 7" is getting up there. To me it seems those are becoming more rare than HIG negs or RATF tp's.

Interesting points..... I know that scarcity isn't always directly related to the highest value. Obviously the 'Hand In Glove' negative sleeve is very limited in terms of numbers but the desirabilty of owning it (I believe) comes from having a sleeve which shows just how far the printing process can go awry. Obviously the 'Reel Around The Fountain' TP was limited to 25 but further attraction comes from the fact that the single was scrapped and the a-side remained unreleased (in that format). Similarly the test pressings of 'You just haven't earned it yet, baby' and 'Meat is murder' EP 12", 7" & Mayking and the 'Heaven Knows......' 7" TP with the early mix give them a very high value. Although all of the Mayking test pressings are surely limited to just a handful of copies at the most, I just don't think that they can be seen as desirable as the "holy grails" at the top of the Record Collector lists.

Out of interest, does anybody know just how many Mayking Test Pressings were run off of each release?

Back
Top Bottom