Lost Martin Hannett Recordings Found in Manchester - Is Morrissey Among Them?

The Slicing Up Eyeballs article says that there is some S&tD material on the tapes. No idea what, though. The Facebook thread linked in the article may reveal. According to the information I have, Morrissey's vocals were recorded for a demo, apparently around 1981. This aligns with the bottom end of the time frame of these tapes, so there's a chance.

The Slicing Up Eyeballs article says that there is some S&tD material on the tapes. No idea what, though. The Facebook thread linked in the article may reveal. According to the information I have, Morrissey's vocals were recorded for a demo, apparently around 1981. This aligns with the bottom end of the time frame of these tapes, so there's a chance.

Yup, I've asked a question on the thread.

P.

Buried-Treasure.jpg

Always fun.

I had a brief chat with Wayne Barrett of Slaughter And The Dogs about this, and this is what he had to say...(cut and paste, punctuation the same)

"Hi Peter, For Info Morrissey Never Recorded With Slaughter And The Dogs, He Did However Write A Few Songs With Mick, (As Morrissey Like Headbanger Eddie Garratie Were Never Members Of The Band) The Reason Being I Am The Soul Owner Of The Name As I Created It & The Band In 1974, When I Stopped In 1979 Nobody Else Could Use The Name, The Band Members Were Still Under Contract But Could Not Use The Name It Was For That Reason The Bite Back Album Was Realised Under The Name Of Slaughter & Not Slaughter And The Dogs, Going Back To The Tapes We Recorded Some Songs With Martin In Stockport, North London & A Studio In Stretford, From Which Hailed Cranked Up Really High, The Bitch (1st Known As Heather Slit’s Her Wrist) The Fight, Scream & Scream Again, As Mick Rossi & My Self Never Received Any Royalties’ From These Recording I Simply Ask For The Recording To Be Given Back To Their Original Owner I.E. Mick Rossi My Self (Wayne Barrett McGrath)"

P.

Asking nicely for the tapes (or anything) back is hardly ever met with a humane response unless one considers crickets chirping
to be the equivalent of a justified and true return.... Ah, but will time tell.... xx

Ah, well that's good information to have. The sources I found said that he did record four songs as a demo with them, so now we know.

From all the comments, I gather people are more interested in the New Order material anyway, but tensions among that band's former members is making any releases difficult.

According Billy Duffy's official site they were in Slaughter and the Dogs in 1979.

Highly unlikely to be found Morrissey's recordings in these tapes.

Except the 1981-onwards timeline can't be correct, unless there was a secret Joy Division reunion that's been kept under wraps.

I doubt there is anything really interesting in these tapes, though, or she would have said.

Back
Top Bottom