Lost interest in Moz after seeing him and being threatened

Tom Cruise does that at film premieres in front of the world's press. It's a PR thing. I don't see him spending night after night meeting and greeting fans. He does it at selected events determined by his management.

This is the sort of thing some of us are trying to point out. The unrealistic sense of entitlement. Morrissey is travelling through the night after gigs and arriving at hotels at four in the morning with another gig to do that night. And you are moaning that he doesn't stay to shoot the breeze with you and hear you tell him how wonderful he is after each gig? :rolleyes:

Tom Cruise does that at film premieres in front of the world's press. It's a PR thing. I don't see him spending night after night meeting and greeting fans. He does it at selected events determined by his management.

This is the sort of thing some of us are trying to point out. The unrealistic sense of entitlement. Morrissey is travelling through the night after gigs and arriving at hotels at four in the morning with another gig to do that night. And you are moaning that he doesn't stay to shoot the breeze with you and hear you tell him how wonderful he is after each gig? :rolleyes:

er.....yep after lifetime of devotion and shit loads of money an autograph or two is not much to ask.Ofcourse he can`t do hundreds or talk to everyone...but a little should be given back.But thats just my opinion.

er.....yep after lifetime of devotion and shit loads of money an autograph or two is not much to ask.Ofcourse he can`t do hundreds or talk to everyone...but a little should be given back.But thats just my opinion.

So who does he pick to talk to? Just you and sod everyone else? What about all the others who think exactly the same - "Well, he doesn't have to stay to talk to everyone but he could at least talk to MEEEE"

And he's never stayed after shows. So this idea of him suddenly changing is rubbish. He's never been comfortable with meet and greets.

But I still went to the concert, and even though I had front row seats (which I've never had before), I just couldn't enjoy it as much as all the other shows I've been to. QUOTE]

Being as this was a totall bru ha ha, and Moz Im sure at one point saw you, I wonder if he recognized/remembered you during the show as "thats the kid from 4AM this morning".??

So who does he pick to talk to? Just you and sod everyone else? What about all the others who think exactly the same - "Well, he doesn't have to stay to talk to everyone but he could at least talk to MEEEE"

And he's never stayed after shows. So this idea of him suddenly changing is rubbish. He's never been comfortable with meet and greets.

This is so not true.He stopped and spoke to me after a show many many years ago.I was 15 and he signed my t-shirt.He signed an lp for the boy i went with as well.He never has been that approachable but he is definately becoming more aloof.He cannot help it I guess.Who can know what fame is like for him.He`s always been fragile.

This is so not true.He stopped and spoke to me after a show many many years ago.I was 15 and he signed my t-shirt.He signed an lp for the boy i went with as well.He never has been that approachable but he is definately becoming more aloof.He cannot help it I guess.Who can know what fame is like for him.He`s always been fragile.

Maybe he's becoming more aloof, but I still read lots of recent stories on this site about fans who have had friendly encounters with him.

Also, let's not forget that this incident only occurred because Morrissey was in a Courtyard Marriott, arriving on a bus after a gig, at 4:00 in the morning, in Merrillville, Indiana. Doesn't it say a lot that Morrissey was there to begin with? Where's the love in the heart of Merrillville?

As I've tried to argue in the past, giving autographs is only one way to measure how much an artist gives his fans. Morrissey has given his heart and soul to his fans for the last 24 years. A great piece of art like "Vauxhall and I" or "The Queen Is Dead" as a gift far more valuable than an autograph. I'm not trying to say your viewpoint is invalid, but you should also consider how much he has given his fans as an artist. No one has been more generous than Morrissey when you look at it that way.

Last edited:

He has occasionally stopped for autographs after gigs for a few people but I've never heard of him doing the sort of meet and greets that you are asking for.

Snooty at shows? You have got to be kidding me... he is not snooty. He makes a point of making eye contact with everyone he possibly can while singing. He shakes hands with as many people as he can.

Let me tell you this: I have a colleague who is a huge, huge Neil Finn fan. She is to Neil as we are to Moz. She was recently at the Crowded House show in her town, in the front row of a seated pit. Now, if you are in the front row of a seated pit at a Moz show, you are almost guaranteed of interacting with him. What did she get? Nothing. No handshakes, no banter to speak of, no eye contact. How could you stand in front of someone and sing to them for two hours and not even look them in the eye?

Moz is only human. What more do you want from him, a signed thank you note after every concert you attend? And especially at 4 am... seriously.

Wait a minute: you guys go to the concerts expecting to get some kind of acknowledgement?
Why don't you just go to enjoy the music.

Wait a minute: you guys go to the concerts expecting to get some kind of acknowledgement?
Why don't you just go to enjoy the music.

This is something I don't understand either. I think for a lot of the front row brigade Morrissey is more of a celebrity crush than a musician. I think a lot of them aren't really interested in the music as long as they get a handshake and a smile.

On One side the bodyguard didn't have to sound so aggressive. May be just say, "sorry but not now" or something like that.

It was the middle of the night, even superstars like Morrissey needs his sleep and not to be stopped by fans wanting autographs.

May be you should of waited to see if you could catch him in the morning.

May be Morrissey should of acknowledged you and may be said to 'sorry but not now'!

!

This is what I thought, that maybe it could have been handled better. There are a lot of good points made in the posts above this one.

I did think though, what are some other scenarios? I'm going to say I believe the entire first story, even though Jeane's analysis was fascinating and if she wrote detective novels I would be more of a fan of her than I already am. I'd probably be waiting for her at 4 am somewhere. :p

But this is what I was thinking. Maybe if he had made some sort of "Sorry, not now" comment it would have seemed a lot different. I guess the problem is that he has experienced this hundreds, thousands of times, and he knows how it goes if he says one friendly word.

"Sorry, not now" leads to "Oh, please", or "Well, when then, you fat bastard! I buy your records!" and either way that's annoying.

If a person is going to somehow know your hotel and wait for you until 3:30 am they probably are not going to let you nod and say hello and keep going. The "pretending to use the computer" thing shows that there was intent to deceive and that alone is enough to change the situation drastically.

I know, the hotel was discovered by accident. And the location was posted on here, and no doubt they were aware of this. I'm surprised there weren't more (stalker)fans waiting.

I don't blame "I Just Ate", because there is no second chance. I mean, no matter how well he had behaved, nobody was going to say, "You know, if you're around checkout time, Morrissey will be happy to say hello and take a quick picture."

But you can't stalk someone and force them to take just one picture. No one looks their best at 3:30am and I doubt he wanted this moment preserved anyway.

I don't blame "I Just Ate" for being excited and thinking, "It's now or never" or whatever he was thinking. I don't blame Morrissey for knowing that there is no such thing as a quick picture. Who knows his hours or if he was tired at that time, but I'm sure he did not want to hear anyone's list of favorite songs and answer questions at that time of night. Even if "I Just Ate" was the coolest fan in the world, and just did a quick picture and said thanks, Morrissey was still bothered in his private time. Also, the scenario Morrissey imagined was probably more that he would be stuck in an unwanted conversation with no way to get away from the person, and not wanting to be followed to his room.

(Have you seen The King Of Comedy?)

[youtube]b7EWNK4hm18&l[/youtube]

I really wanted to post the lady at the phone booth that asks him to talk to her brother, then when he won't, yells, "You should get cancer!"

I could understand if you thought, well, this is sort of part of his job. He doesn't have to get up in the morning and go to the screen-door factory or anything. He probably doesn't see it that way.

Anyway, I imagine the results would have been similar whatever time of day. For that night that was Morrissey's home, and it appeared as if "I Just Ate" was waiting at his doorstep with unknown intentions.

I think instead of getting up and walking towards him, maybe a good shout across the lobby would have been satisfactory to all parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, too many replies for me to read/reply to. I didn't expect for everyone to treat this as a murder investigation and i really don't feel like spending too much time defending myself to you guys, because i know most of you made up your mind before you even read this (moz can do no wrong. it must be my fault somehow). It's ok though, i used to feel the same way about him.

A few quick points though:

-it wasn't 4 am. it was 3:30 am. on a friday night. is it really so crazy for someone to be awake at that time? besides, i work night shift so i would've been awake then, even if i weren't waiting for him. but Morrissey has been in a rock band for 25 years, and lived in Los Angeles (among other large cities), so i'm sure he wasn't too shocked to see that there was someone awake at 3:30 am on a friday night before a concert.

-yes, i was the only one in the hotel lobby at the moment they showed up. but for those of you who are picturing me sitting there doing absolutely nothing for 3 hours with nobody else in sight.. well you're assuming too much. i wasn't literally in the lobby for 3 hours. i went back to my room several times to watch tv/talk to my gf/get a drink. and when i WAS in the lobby waiting, i was using the free internet access they have down there. and there were other people who came out of their rooms to use the computers also (yes, even at 3am on a friday night.. gasp!!!)

-i didn't follow him to his room, i didn't try to take a picture of him, i didn't try to hug him or shake his hand or do anything at all; i just stood there, hoping he would be in the mood to stop for 10 seconds and sign my album. when he didn't stop, i stayed where i was and let him walk to his room in peace. i didn't watch to see what room he was staying in or anything like that.

-i don't think he owes me an autograph, or picture, or handshake, or anything. i was just hoping to get lucky. what he DOES owe me (and every other fan) is the respect and dignity that is expected of any human being. celebrity or not, nobody should treat another person like that unless they've done something to deserve it.

-i am not a crazy stalker fan type. i'm just a music lover who especially loves Morrissey & the Smiths, and found myself in a situation where I might get to meet my idol for a few seconds, and took advantage of it. Sorry that you guys think this is so wrong.

but like i said before, i know i'm dealing with die-hard Morrissey fans here, who will defend him no matter what he does, so I'm not surprised i'm getting so much sh*t for this. You can interpret the story however you want. I know it's hard to believe that I didn't do anything but stand there, but that's exactly what happened. And i know you guys think it's so crraaaaaazzzzyyyyy that a guy in his 20's was awake at 3:30 in the morning on a friday night while he was on a weekend vacation... but really, it's not.

I know there's a lot of crazy fans out there who DON'T respect Morrissey's privacy (showing up at his house, etc). in fact, a few hours after the show, i heard the tour bus driving back to the hotel, and i looked out the window and saw some fans chasing the bus on foot. So maybe you guys are just assuming that i'm one of those types, but i'm honestly not. But we all know what assuming things does.

Thanks to the few of you who read the story with an open mind and didn't attack me, make assumptions, or pick apart every detail of the story to find a flaw. I hope your experiences with Morrissey are better than mine.

If its just coincedence that you are staying at the same hotel as Morrissey & there is a chance that you might have a chance to see him, who wouldn't wait in the lobby? People stand around waiting at the stage door for hours, or airports.

If Morrissey doesn't want to stop & talk or sign things - fine. But I don't think the bodyguard should have spoke that way. That was really out of line in my opinion.

IJustAte, you should burn all of Moz's records and devote your life to slandering him at all costs. That's the only fair punishment for his (indifferent) actions. Good luck!

-it wasn't 4 am. it was 3:30 am.

I also noticed how everyone made it as late as possible, but you do have the bodyguard saying 4.

i went back to my room several times to ...get a drink.

So how many drinks had you had? Or do you mean water? Kidding, sort of. But if you'd been drinking, that is more reason to avoid you.

what he DOES owe me (and every other fan) is the respect and dignity that is expected of any human being. celebrity or not, nobody should treat another person like that unless they've done something to deserve it.

You're being intentionally ironic here? He doesn't owe you anything when he's not onstage performing.

-i am not a crazy stalker fan type.
Yeah, but you WAITED for him in the middle of the night. Just because you don't do this all the time, you were still exhibiting stalker behavior. He has no idea what your intentions are.

I know there's a lot of crazy fans out there who DON'T respect Morrissey's privacy (showing up at his house, etc). in fact, a few hours after the show, i heard the tour bus driving back to the hotel, and i looked out the window and saw some fans chasing the bus on foot. So maybe you guys are just assuming that i'm one of those types, but i'm honestly not. But we all know what assuming things does.

See, this is the thing. He doesn't know if you're one of the people that arranges to meet friends at his house or if you just happened to be in the same room and wanted to say hi. I think the bodyguard could have handled it a lot better, but he didn't do anything wrong. He wasn't going to stop and apologize for the bodyguard's remark, when his whole purpose was to get to his room without you seeing where he went.

Thanks to the few of you who read the story with an open mind and didn't attack me, make assumptions, or pick apart every detail of the story to find a flaw. I hope your experiences with Morrissey are better than mine.

Don't blame people for picking the story apart. We are all fans, too, and in our little worlds this qualifies as Morrissey news. I'm sorry you had an unhappy experience and I hope you will get over it in time.

I think the bodyguard was just doing his job.WIth all the good intentions you probably had, what you did was technicaly stalking him for the evening.

If its just coincedence that you are staying at the same hotel as Morrissey & there is a chance that you might have a chance to see him, who wouldn't wait in the lobby? People stand around waiting at the stage door for hours, or airports.

If Morrissey doesn't want to stop & talk or sign things - fine. But I don't think the bodyguard should have spoke that way. That was really out of line in my opinion.

That's what I think exactly. On a more subtle level though, the bodyguard is partially there to look like the bad guy so Morrissey doesn't have to.

I don;t get this whole, Morrissey owes me the respect! Thats the whole point of Morrissey(well part of the charm) you take him as he is.

Let's have a look at this.

First, it was the night of the Royal Oak show. I don't know how far it is between these two places but let's say, it's a little bit of a drive.

google maps puts it at 257 miles (~ 4 hour drive)

The story sparked some stimulating statements, support, and sass.
All (well most of) the heavyweights came out + wink wink ;)

Guess kristeen young hightailed it out of royal oak (presumably in her minivan:p - reported elsewhere) as soon as she was done on stage then... concert began at 8pm that friday night, which would put her in for that reported check-in time of in the vicinity of 12.30am.

sorry, ijustate, i am into it for the nuances of the plot, but surely thanks for posting such a controversial tale
=)

You forgot the time change going from Eastern time to Central time. So if it was a 4 hour drive to Merrillville, KY could have left at 9:30 EDT (she was done by 8:40) and arrived at Merrillville at 12:30 CDT.

Back
Top Bottom