Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium (Nov. 26, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Black Cloud / Maladjusted / Alma Matters / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Meat Is Murder / Satellite Of Love / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Action Is My Middle Name / All The Lazy Dykes / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / Speedway // Still Ill

set list provided by robertboyracer

Last edited:
And then there's the band and the drummer - what fantastic guys they are - constant beat and time and professional, sounding just as fantastic now as they did back in 1991.

IMr
Northern England
England

I agree the band worked really hard and was impressive to see play in person -I was in the front row behind the pit. When Jessie was introduced I heard a lot of loud cheering, at least in my section. Boz wrote on his facebook that one of the obnoxious stage invaders kicked over his amps and kicked Boz in the shin. I guess that's why Moz cut the set short. I agree that Moz is pretty passive-aggressive when it comes to stage invaders. Still I'd rather see a great performance than watch a bunch of people storming the stage and throwing kicks and punches at security and interrupting his singing.

Morrissey and my love life"Found, found, found," (1)Our first date was at the House of Blues in Hollywood, to see the lovely Sweet and Tender Hooligans on 12/13/08. The evening started with dinner, and Jose (the lead singer) stopped by and had a drink with us. I had met Jose in 1992 at Rhino Records while we were both shopping for rare Smith's/Morrissey albums. He told me about the Morrissey cover band he was starting and invited me to his show. I have been stopping by his shows ever since (19 years) This show was different, I was on a first date with a woman who I was completely enamored with. I wasn't even sure it was a date, then the curtain raised, she grabbed my arm, I turned into her and it definitely left the plutonic level. We stayed entwined someplace in the very back, missing most of the show, but I still found moments to sing lyrics to her that I especially wanted her to feel. Over the past three years our love has grown and she has learned every Morrissey/Smith's song ever written. On our first anniversary, she gave me a bracelet with "My Dearest Love" engraved on top. She has traveled with me from state to state to see Morrissey live and even held strong and got a piece of one of his Gucci shirts for me. We have a huge Morrissey Postponed poster that we framed to remember the shows that we made it to, but he didn't :) And there were also the shows like Paris, where I happened to be in France the night Morrissey was playing. I walked down the street and saw a large line of people, I turned and said "what if that was Morrissey playing?" I couldn't speak French, so I didn't ask. Had I only looked up, I would have seen the large MORRISSEY marquee (sigh). I did get to have drinks in the bar later with a few American girls who had traveled from San Diego and told me all about the show. Still can't believe I missed that one!!With her appreciation and acceptance of my Morrissey/Smiths obsession that has lasted over 25 years. On, 11/19/11, I made her legally mine, we were married in Washington DC, because it is one of the only places two females can legally marry in America. The pre-ceremonial music included Zooey Deschanel's singing "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" and we walked down the aisle to "To Me You Are a Work of Art".When we were looking for possible honeymoon choices and discovered that Morrissey was playing, we were in complete bliss. What were the chances? The Las Vegas show on 11/25/11 was the last night of our honeymoon and we spent it watching Morrissey live. I cannot express how amazing this was to me, since I have been a fan for so many years. .The Vegas show was the most special of them all because my experience with Moz's songs over the years has shaped me into who I am. The concert opened with church bells that we are convinced were for us and then his first words were "por favor, por favor, por favor", just like the beginning of our wedding where we played "please, please, please". My bride and I held each other and danced to "All the Lazy Dykes" and a tear fell from my eye when he talked about Thanksgiving and played the haunting and deeply melodic version of "Meat is Murder". I would like to think that if Morrissey knew we were in the audience, he would have not only yelled out "muchachos, but also muchachas" Regardless, I felt every note and every lyric deep in my heart and experiencing that with the love of my life by my side was Priceless. Thank You Morrissey

That's the problem with last night's show, he didn't play Sunday, Irish, OR 1st Of The Gang. I was prepared for a short set with minimal hits, but I thought I'd AT LEAST get one of those thrown at me as a bone. All in all, it was solid, just needed 2-3 adjustments to be at least on par with the rest of the 2011 tour's sets, though.

You did get Fatty, Ouija Board, Alma Matters, I Know It's Over... You can't get everything you want.

yeah one other thing the email used for the currently closed Morrissey's World blogspot can also be traced to US origin even though it said hotmail.co.uk additionally that blog was lying because one day there was a blog stating he was in Cheshire yet he was on tour and someone online had posted they saw him at a hotel around the same time in the vicinity of where said tour day was taking place.

Re: REVIEW: From an LA Moz fan

REVIEW OF LAST NIGHT'S SHOW:

Getting there was an adventure. Good thing we were on time because traffic from the USC / UCLA game was hectic. The Shrine Auditorium is a beautiful place, reminds me of the Pantages in Hollywood in many ways. The atmosphere was very Moz-like from the moment you step foot inside. Drink lines were long but fast, not very many food stands expect one place at the very end of the hall. Morrissey shirts were abundant. The hair, the look, the lifestyle, they were all there. It was nice to see that. Lights went down for Kristeen Young. Very cool backdrop to her stage that sized about 5 feet from the back curtain to the ledge. Not much space. Her set was kinda acoustic, no live band, just back track but with live piano playing. I do like her video "Fantastic Failure" but her set was just wasn't catching on with the crowd. Seemed loud in noise and not very moving. Everyone seemed overly excited as soon as she said goodbye. The usual 30-40 minutes of intermission music videos played on the curtain, some new, some old. Lypsinka's bit from the last tour was the last video to be shown before the curtain dropped and the lights cut off. Morrissey and the boys came out to the sounds of bells, followed by a "Quando, Quando, Quando." His show began.

Reading some post about complaints regarding his setlist is nothing but annoying and off-putting for a fan. But I must say I have to agree. It seemed generally agreed that they wanted more 'hits' and less 'b-sides.' Taking it for what it is, the show was good. Not great. Not bad. Moz was in top form, energetic and lively. His attitude towards the crowd (or the night in general) seemed a bit off. Just like the Gibson show (2 years ago?). "Meat Is Murder" brought down the house in the most depressing way, with the help of his PETA-friendly Meat Your Meat video playing as the backdrop. My date turned her head for most of the song. I tried telling her otherwise but felt the images were disturbing. We've all seen them before. But for an excited LA crowd on a night to celebrate Morrissey's presence, it sure dampened the mood. The next few songs were hard to get into. But eventually the crowd was back. By then, the show was almost over.

At some point near the end of the show, Morrissey said something to Jesse Tobias which caused an immediate guitar change and switch up for the boys. Seems now that they cut a song from the set being that the night totaled only 17, not the usual 18. Maybe Moz was tired? Maybe he didn't feel the crowd strong enough? The show ended just seconds after an hour, with one encore "Still Ill" of course. Many stage hoppers this time around, which really makes the night memorable. You go LA! But to simply put it, the show was too short. Disappointingly short. But as for Moz, love you to death. Always been and always will be a fan. The setlist is a little heartbreaking. But again, who am I to say anthing? You are the artist. I'm just the fan, willing to roll with the punches. Thanks for a memorable night dear friend!

ATMOSPHERE OF THE NIGHT: It felt as if we were personally invited to a show in Morrissey's own living room, hanging out in his world for a little while. That's was makes his shows different from the rest. That's why I keep coming back for more.p.s. The tease that he was about to play "First Of The Gang To Die" and then went right into "Paris" was not nice. But we continued along and still had an amazing time!

Songs that stood out:
I Want The One I Can't Have
When Last I Spoke To Carol
Alma Matters
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
All The Lazy Dykes
I Know It's Over
Speedway
Still Ill
2011-11-26_21-32-24_383.jpg

30-40 mins of music videos?! It's more like 20 mins. And Morrissey played for about 75 mins and not seconds after an hour.

Anonymous... im so sad i was there had my tickets and im not familiar to the area husband n i drove around for 2 hours looking for parking before giving up and heading all the way back to the IE I wanted to see this show soooo bad and cant afford to purchase more tickets for Pomona :( what was to have been a great memorable day ended up with me here in bed crying myself to sleep :(

I hope everyone who did make it had a great time!

I was disappointed too! I drove around for an hour and a half before a cop directed me to a parking structure past the freeway. By the time I got to the venue I had missed 1/2 of the concert. I was so frustrated that I was shaking and couldn't really enjoy the concert. Moz himself sang beautifully but honestly, something was off. The parking situation was because of the football game but they should've had traffic control. Im praying Pomona will better. I'm so sorry you missed it! I was ready to drive back home as well but my sis talked me out of it.

thanks for the list it was great my first time seeing that awesome charming Man, i still have chills about it does anybody recorded SPEEDWAY i want that video please the blackout was great

I don't know why people keep whining! You got to see a living legend and hear his gorgeous voice. Also he played a great setlist (Alma Matters, I Know It's Over, Speedway, Still Ill, and I Want The One I Can't Have??) Maybe I observed things differently than some jaded cynics did, but I saw a Morrissey who was delighted to receive all those gifts people in front gave him, a Morrissey who reached out to each person who climbed on stage to be near him. And the stage invaders are not a source of annoyance to me, in factI feel it wouldn't be a true and proper satisfying Morrissey show without them. I wasn't alone in this, since as far as I could tell the crowd cheered when our fellow fans made it on and we could live vicariously through them. I didn't hear anyone complaining, except about Kristeen Young (who is admittedly hard to disgest). Morrissey never seemed disinteresed. He has a commanding stage presence and always seemed majestic. Who knew why he left out one song, he's an artist performing and can do whatever he damn well pleases. The fans I saw were vey passionate, even Davey Havok from AFI and Thomas Lennon from Reno 911were genuinely excited to be there. Someone said everyone there was a "dinosaur" but I saw plenty of young So Cal Subcultural kids and people in their 20's and 30's. It was pleasant to see a little boy dressed like a little greaser holding his mom's hand and walking into his first Morrissey show. Yes the crowd was heavily Latino, after all this is Los Angeles and by now we are all well aware of Morrissey's Latino fanbase in LA and other Southwestern US cities (San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, Escondido, Pomona, etc). Most of the cities on his current US tour boast significant Mexican populations (even Chicago is 25% Latino and Pomona is a whopping 71% Latino). These Latino fans are very passionate and loyal and I doubt many of them would be on this website whining about him in any way. He thanked the crowd in Spanish. The setlist and the inter-song banter has been documented but as to his wardrobe, he wore a tight brown v-neck longsleeve and loose-fitting blue jeans. He did not change except for the encore where he came out still buttoning up a dark blue shirt. Meat is Murder was introduced as "It Isn't Very Nice And You Shouldn't Do It". The video projection was very intense and graphic and was a testament for his empathy for the cruelty inflicted on animals. The parking situation was difficult, compounded by the USC/UCLA football game (played at a stadium that holds 90,000 people and was almost certainly full). I paid 25 dollars to park in the structure for the California Science Center and it was worth every penny. The show was lovely and I wish other people could be happy that they got to experience it.

i know it was my first time seeing him i really though of it as an impossible i made a long trip but i was so f***ing happy just to hear i know its over and the new songs i loved them since i heard of them on the Glastonbury concenrt still i loved it and yes it was short but it was morrissey and thats all i care

IT was a REALLY bad choice of Venue.
The traffic was HORRENDOUS, I was late because of it.
If a seated venue is going to be set, I think it should be a nice comfortable one, with better viewing/big screens like the hollywood bowl.

I dunno, its not morrissey's fault, but I've seen better shows out of him.

Does anyone know what shirt did the band wear at the gig? I'm trying to make out the picture in the videos but I keep coming up with a blank.

You know I have seen him everytime he has been in town [usually more than once] But don't remember feeling sad like this that he's moved on and theres no more Morrissey and fans to be with. Don't know why I feel this way this time.

I've seen the Smiths and Morrissey in concerts for over 20 plus years and have never been to a worse show then the Shrine. He played all B side songs didnt play any standard favs, yea there was a couple here and there but damn talk about a waste of money. Its almost as if he is trying to sell some old song B side songs as new so people can go out and buy his albums again. Morrissey has finally sold out to the suits I think. And that Kristeen chick that opened was horrible WTF!

spectacular show. parking was insane, but not bad if you read up on it beforehand. sounded excellent (from the pit). - So happy to have heard 'i know it's over' and 'still ill'. - I got to stand next to Julia, so I felt in warm company (though I didn't speak with her). - I felt the ticket should have read: MORRISSEY featuring JULIA RILEY. - Poor Kristeen Young needs makeover. And no.. no shirt.. no fotgtd.. what a cruel, cruel world

I've seen the Smiths and Morrissey in concerts for over 20 plus years and have never been to a worse show then the Shrine. He played all B side songs didnt play any standard favs, yea there was a couple here and there but damn talk about a waste of money. Its almost as if he is trying to sell some old song B side songs as new so people can go out and buy his albums again. Morrissey has finally sold out to the suits I think. And that Kristeen chick that opened was horrible WTF!

"didnt play any standard favs, yea there was a couple here and there " What is that? You're condemned out of your own mouth. Either he did or he didn't? Not this "he didn't but he did" rubbish. Why do you bother? You have managed to contribute a totally pointless and vacuous piece. Grrrrrrrr.

yeah one other thing the email used for the currently closed Morrissey's World blogspot can also be traced to US origin even though it said hotmail.co.uk additionally that blog was lying because one day there was a blog stating he was in Cheshire yet he was on tour and someone online had posted they saw him at a hotel around the same time in the vicinity of where said tour day was taking place.

How did you trace the email address to the US, and where in the US?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom