Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Sports Arena (May 10, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Hand In Glove / Speedway / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / I Have Forgiven Jesus / Life Is A Pigsty / Everyday Is Like Sunday / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Yes, I Am Blind / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Trouble Loves Me / Meat Is Murder / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / First Of The Gang To Die / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / The National Front Disco // Asleep / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by leedoggpimp, correction by an anonymous person

An additional backdrop photo found:

Image matched to one posted in: Homodesiribus - Miscellaneous vintage / May 22 2010

tumblr_l2ppu8RhIw1qaqplko1_500.jpg

photo from Twitter posted by docinwestchester:

losangeles.jpg

Last edited:
Longtime Morrissey fan here, but this was my first live show. A few reactions ...

Tom Jones absolutely killed it. I was not expecting much, I always thought of him as just a relic singer for the elderly, but he performed like a beast, and his band was totally on point. What a wonderful start to the show.

I was in general admission, relatively close to the front, and apart from a few rude folk the crowd was pretty great.

Morrissey looked in great shape and his voice was excellent. Stage presence was fine. His band performed well, particularly the drummer, but Tobias was just as incompetent as people on this board had said he was. Awful tone, minimal technique, no idea why he's there. I like that he has a cutting tone ... rather than a smooth studio musician tone ... but it's possible to be cutting without being a mess. On the other hand, that drummer was a badass, without him the band would have been much more limp.

Song selection was pretty damn weak by my book. Morrissey loves these ponderous late-style pieces nowadays, but they rarely approach the heights of his earlier work. Don't want to be stereotypical, but the three new songs were very weak. And the lyric "Egypt and Ukraine, so many people in pain" put me into a visceral cringe, it's arguably the worst lyric I've heard Moz deliver. I still shudder to recall. At least Speedway and I Know It's Going To Happen Someday eased the pain.

Overall I had a terrific time though. Just can't go too wrong, and I hope others had a great time as well.

Last night he thanked Banksy. It's been suggested Banksy is responsible for the wheat pastes in NY and LA. That's really f***ing cool, that means the designer of the new single used Banksy's fontwork if this is the case.

EDIT: The connection is tenuous and not official apparently. Maybe he was thanking Banksy for his animal rights installations.

Last edited:
Having seen a show on this tour and the last (and many others), if the floor was 'crazy aggrssive' rather than crazy passionate, does anyone else notice anything wrong? I've been onstage and in the front. Screaming 'morr-issth-eee!!' While he's singing 'asleep'? Really? How much do we and does Moz really need these 'fans'? I love the passion & have been a part of it, but it's getting weirder and weirder, almost like a gang initiation with no sense of what is really happening. I have sympathy and empathy for alienated people cherishing a night validation with a living legend. But the specialness is lost when it becomes a vague, poorly understood outburst of 'fan'-domonium'. I believe the respect of these 'fans' for the both the living legend himself and for the real fans, both young and older, is becoming a palpably negative issue. I do not believe morrissey enjoys them or needs them to continue to thrive. I've been there over the course of it all and remain the biggest most appreciative passionate fan there along with many of you..It's very concerning to real fans and to morrissey. Please, others with thoughtful points/reactions chime in if you have also noticed the degeneration and pathos of the front 'pit' area as I have.

His voice always sounds beautiful, that's the problem. He could sing the phone book and it would sound good. Oh, wait, that's what he's doing, phoning it in. You forgot about it within the hour as the mind will always try to protect and heal itself from trauma. Amnesia is very useful as a survival tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Why weren't you at The Cat and Fiddle?

Last night he thanked Banksy. It's been suggested Banksy is responsible for the wheat pastes in NY and LA. That's really f***ing cool, that means the designer of the new single used Banksy's fontwork if this is the case.

EDIT: The connection is tenuous and not official apparently. Maybe he was thanking Banksy for his animal rights installations.

It was suggested by me, and I changed my avatar to "Siren Of The Lambs". No, it's not official. And I'm not Banksy. I'm BrummieBoy. But I'll be in Bristol in a couple of hours. Robert Plant has a new album coming out as well. He hangs out in Bristol a lot, but in disguise, like lots of other people. Banksy is a master of disguises. So is BrummieBoy. I've never met either of them. Nor has Morrissey.

ps: I'm not "BrummieBoy". That's Sharon. She's coming back soon. I can't stop her. I wish I could, but she is a trained hypnotist so I won't even realise it's happening until it stops again. This 'online' thing can get a bit 'involved', but you know that from your 'signs' and stuff.

Last edited:
The Notorious B.O.Z!

Mo'money,mo pies.Boz expanding belt could become a problem. He better get with the 5:2 diet before Moz sends his FAT ASS back to that ghetto in Camden where he'll have nothing to do but try and flog old records and rockabilly prison wine. Does it have animal rennet in it? I hope he hasn't offered Moz a glass if it's animal finings.

Last edited:
Now that sports events are all seater, the 'pit' at the rock show is about the last place where people can ventilate their emotional crises and let their inner thug rule loose. Morrissey studiously cultivates this crap with Teh List so the hardcore crazee are at the front. Then the beer monsters just push through minutes before showtime. Same stuff at Sabbath gigs. People have seen the archive Smiths footage and want' to think they haven't 'missed out' on it all, as does Morrissey. But as someone who was there at early Smiths gigs, I can assure you, this gimmick was orchestrated and manicured from the get-go. At first it was seen as an 'ironic' commentary on the star/fan relationship, then some of us realised Morrissey was troubled. But it was too late. The NME had opened the gates and wouldn't close them again for a long, long time....

Damn, this place really has become thoroughly weird. I feel like there was a time when the news value offset the derangement and vitriol of the commentary, but now the obsession, pettiness and bitter loathing have completely overwhelmed the whole.

Look at any news item and a solid two-thirds is sure to be off-topic pejorative bile, with the same circle of micro-monomaniacal loons trading increasingly hysterical insults.

Moz just played a huge LA show with Tom Jones in support, singing Smiths songs, old songs, new songs - is no one around here actually pleased with that...?

Some of us are but you can't teach old dogs new tricks. They'd rather just bark at each other.

"Morrissey, Tom Jones show off masters' degrees. Iconic Englishman and smooth Welshman turn in first-class performances at rare L.A. pairing."

A superb review that makes me wish I'd been there (if I got past Security, of course!)

Tom Jones sounds like he was a real electric warrior:

"It’s a retro-mature look for the silver fox, and along with his purple paisley tux jacket he proved how well it suits him, from the opening handling of Leonard Cohen’s “Tower of Song” to rambunctious bounces through Tom Waits’ “Bad as Me” and Jerry Lee Lewis’ “End of the Road.” In between: bits of Billy Joe Shaver and Blind Willie Johnson, plus a terrific version of his Bond tune “Thunderball.” What a gracious, superbly thought-out performance to remind old fans of his mastery; what a smart introduction to younger, discerning ears with little tolerance for phonies."

Bit of a diss for the hard-core broken-nosed bloodied List 'fans': "some absurdly devoted acolytes camped out two days ahead to secure prime spots"

And a highly controversial statement about the backing band which you can all discuss when you've passed around the smelling salts:

"key players, notably guitarists Boz Boorer and Jesse Tobias, without whom Moz would be merely a literary scribbler."

It's a great review and if Harvest have anyone actually awake, they'll feast on this one for the press blurbs. Sadly, no mention of Kristeen Young in this review.....

http://www.ocregister.com/soundcheck/one-613806-morrissey-world.html?page=1

Last edited:
"Morrissey, Tom Jones show off masters' degrees. Iconic Englishman and smooth Welshman turn in first-class performances at rare L.A. pairing."

A superb review that makes me wish I'd been there (if I got past Security, of course!)

"It’s a retro-mature look for the silver fox, and along with his purple paisley tux jacket he proved how well it suits him, from the opening handling of Leonard Cohen’s “Tower of Song” to rambunctious bounces through Tom Waits’ “Bad as Me” and Jerry Lee Lewis’ “End of the Road.” In between: bits of Billy Joe Shaver and Blind Willie Johnson, plus a terrific version of his Bond tune “Thunderball.” What a gracious, superbly thought-out performance to remind old fans of his mastery; what a smart introduction to younger, discerning ears with little tolerance for phonies."

Bit of a diss for the hard-core broken-nosed bloodied List 'fans': "some absurdly devoted acolytes camped out two days ahead to secure prime spots"

And a highly controversial statement about the backing band which you can all discuss when you've passed around the smelling salts:

"key players, notably guitarists Boz Boorer and Jesse Tobias, without whom Moz would be merely a literary scribbler."

It's a great review and if Harvest have anyone actually awake, they'll feast on this one for the press blurbs. Sadly, no mention of Kristeen Young in this review.....

Definitely was a great review. And thank goodness there was no mention of Kristeen.

Having seen a show on this tour and the last (and many others), if the floor was 'crazy aggrssive' rather than crazy passionate, does anyone else notice anything wrong? I've been onstage and in the front. Screaming 'morr-issth-eee!!' While he's singing 'asleep'? Really? How much do we and does Moz really need these 'fans'? I love the passion & have been a part of it, but it's getting weirder and weirder, almost like a gang initiation with no sense of what is really happening. I have sympathy and empathy for alienated people cherishing a night validation with a living legend. But the specialness is lost when it becomes a vague, poorly understood outburst of 'fan'-domonium'. I believe the respect of these 'fans' for the both the living legend himself and for the real fans, both young and older, is becoming a palpably negative issue. I do not believe morrissey enjoys them or needs them to continue to thrive. I've been there over the course of it all and remain the biggest most appreciative passionate fan there along with many of you..It's very concerning to real fans and to morrissey. Please, others with thoughtful points/reactions chime in if you have also noticed the degeneration and pathos of the front 'pit' area as I have.

I agree with you on this one . I also think that the the aggression is a bit much as well. First off , times have changed most of us are all older, including Morrissey.It seems like a safety hazard. Not only that when you are constantly touching people a lot of germs are spread and a person can become ill themself. The stage nonsense is not only distracting and a disturbance to those attending the concert ,it just seems like something that needs to be over with already.Then again , it seems to happen more in bigger cities .There were shows in the midwest that were pretty laid back and that stuff did not happen.

This 100%.

That was a nice review. :cool:

Hand in glove
Speedway
Ganglord
Im throwing my arms around paris
Bullfighter never dies
I have forgiven jesus
Life is a pigsty
Everyday is like sunday
To give
Yes i am blind
World peace is none of your business
Trouble loves me
Meat is murder
Earth is the loneliest planet
First of the gang to die
Youngest was the most loved
I know its gonna happen someday
National front disco

Asleep
One day goodbye will be farewell

Does Anyone have the playlist for Tom Jones?

I used to try to plan trips to the West coast to coincide with Morrissey dates because the energy was absolutely electrifying, but I no longer do for exactly the reason you stated. The atmosphere has changed from chaotic bliss to chaotic violence.

I now stick to eastern seaboard and Midwest shows, which have completely different vibes in and of themselves. If the same thing happens in any of these regions, I've never witnessed it. Am I correct in thinking it's almost exclusively the California shows that have taken a turn for the worse?

I heard Maya Rudolph was on the floor with a small entourage. :cool: I love that lady.

Back
Top Bottom