Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood High School (Mar. 2, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Alma Matters / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Irish Blood, English Heart / You Have Killed Me / November Spawned A Monster / Maladjusted / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Still Ill / People Are The Same Everywhere / Speedway / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / Meat Is Murder / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Everyday Is Like Sunday / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Action Is My Middle Name / Let Me Kiss You // The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

set list provided by sdmfjuan, correction by !Viva Hate!

Last edited:
From where I sat I thought Devon was wearing purple and had hair. The kid Moz carried was a shy little Hispanic sweetie in a white Smiths shirt and a shaved head. Not the Devon kid.

That little hispanic sweetie is devon he's a very good friends and i went wild when i saw him hit the stage

the show was being filmed for a dvd that wlll never be released. Now he will have 2 dvds that aren't released: live at the hollywood bowl and live at hollywood high. Hooray for hollywood.

You can download the Hollywood Bowl "DVD" on YouTube. I know that's not the same as being "released", but it's close.

Amazing Show last night! Well worth all the waiting...
Does anyone know what T-Shirts the band was wearing when they first came on stage? They were red and looked to be of a figure with a Mohawk? I'm curious?

I wanted to see a show, not go to a PETA convention. Everyone knows Morrissey is a vegan. WE ALL KNOW! I understand he's passionate but why must he throw it down our throats? I been following him and The Smiths for close to 30 years. I wanted some upbeat songs, these songs were all downers. I was in the balcony and except for "November" and "Still ill" everyone was seated. Was really looking forward to this intimate show, but it was not well organized. There was a long wait to get inside and there were no concessions.

Show was off the hook, tons of energy from the crowd and Moz and the Band, blew doors on Staples center.

Heartfelt intro by Russell Brand.

Sound was booming, very intimate venue with wood seats in balcony and floor, pit area was standing only, place was packed to the gills!

MOZ spoke at length between almost every song, very very talkative. Sounded outstanding, voice as strong or strongest ever.

Historic night in my book, highlights: please-please-please, maladjusted, speedway, that joke isn't funny anymore.

Headed up to Davis, going for 3 out of 3 shows in 4 nights, gotta get it while I can, seats 4 row from stage in Davis, closest of the 3 shows, so fired up~

We showed up at 7:45p, and to our amazement the will call line went all the way down Highland to Sunset, wrapped around the block, and ended nearly at Orange. When we realized the line was moving at a snail's pace, I left to pick up beers at CVS. Over 90 minutes and a six pack later, we were finally admitted into the venue. Missed the opening act, which I'm told is a blessing.

First time seeing Morrissey, and he and the band sounded great. My buddy and I set the over/under line at 5 stage jumpers. No action until the encore, but the little boy who got up on stage was #6. It was a very sweet, life affirming moment when the bouncer backed off the boy, and his hand was taken by Morrissey, who then picked him up.

The Hollywood High Auditorium was a cool venue, but obviously not that well equipped to handle an event of this magnitude. There was also talk of whether the venue location, which butts up against the Jimmy Kimmel Live performance space, was intentional or a coincidence? Probably a little bit of both. And the fact that his spat with Kimmel has taken on the back-and-forth gossipy antics of high school, the auditorium was the perfect place for Morrissey to state his case.

Show was off the hook, tons of energy from the crowd and Moz and the Band, blew doors on Staples center.

Sound was booming, very intimate venue with wood seats in balcony and floor, pit area was standing only, place was packed to the gills!

MOZ spoke at length between almost every song, very very talkative. Sounded outstanding, voice as strong or strongest ever.

Historic night in my book, highlights: please-please-please, maladjusted, speedway, that joke isn't funny anymore.

Headed up to Davis, going for 3 out of 3 shows in 4 nights, gotta get it while I can, seats 4 row from stage in Davis, closest of the 3 shows, so fired up~

Great little review! See you in Davis!
Michele

Can you remember all that he said? Would love to hear it! :)

Must be imagining all these reviews. Anyway, how's that 'making interviews up' shit working out for you?

P.

Of course it isn't dead, it's the place to go if you want unmoderated rape based abuse

We showed up at 7:45p, and to our amazement the will call line went all the way down Highland to Sunset, wrapped around the block, and ended nearly at Orange. When we realized the line was moving at a snail's pace, I left to pick up beers at CVS. Over 90 minutes and a six pack later, we were finally admitted into the venue. Missed the opening act, which I'm told is a blessing.

I got to the venue literally a couple minutes before Morrissey went on stage and the bums outside were beyond jazzed at all the beer bottles the long line left. They were collecting them to recycle and dumping the beer all over the sidewalk. The outside of the auditorium smelled like a brewery. :D

That little hispanic sweetie is devon he's a very good friends and i went wild when i saw him hit the stage

Was he wearing purple shirt when he told Moz he was 9? I thought I saw two different kids.

Can you remember all that he said? Would love to hear it! :)

I didn't commit his quotes to memory knowing it was being recorded, I just relaxed instead. He said something funny..."You don't have to woop if you don't want to." after some people were yelling "Woop!" He told the crowd very heartfeltly that he loved us. Nothing controversial, it was a mellow comment night. I could be mistaken but something got to him at the end of MIM and he seemed a bit teary. This is going to sound stupid but it's agonizing to not be able to comfort him if something is upsetting him, I got super agida seeing that, I wanted to jump off the balcony.

Thanks MORRISZEY for the videos and photos -- in "Boy with The Thorn" - (LOVE IT) the young boy at the end looks terrified! Love how Moz picked him up - also at the very end
Moz is saying "I love you" right? also love how the last guy to try to get on stage and Moz points to where his watch would be like you're too late or something

Also - looks like a yellow piece of paper in Moz's left pocket had someone given him that?

Love love love wish I could have been there. Thanks to all for reviews!

Last edited:
Vomit alert: I’ve got lots to say. You’ve been warned.

I was super-geeked when I got my tix to see Iggy and Moz, but strangely, once I scored my tix, my enthusiasm waned with the passing days. Chief among the reasons, only months before, I’d seen Morrissey for his birthday show, easily one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. Moz, the band, the audience; We were all on fire that night. The downside is that I’d placed that birthday show on such a lofty pedestal that any other Moz show thereafter, in all likelihood, would be doomed for failure. Yes, I’m sure many of us have felt similar apprehensions, but for one reason or another, I just couldn’t shake off this feeling.

Another big reason for my waning interest was that, while I genuinely appreciated the eclectic setlist, the setlist hadn’t materially changed in the two previous rounds through So.Cal. So surely, Morrissey would offer significant variations this third time around, yes? Umm...no. The setlists from the East coast swing this past autumn and winter warned me as much. So I could expect yet another round of “fatty”, “paris”, “let me kiss you”, “meat is murder”, et al., in a span of just a few months. (Yes, cry me a river, goddamn it.) Consequently, when news broke of the postponements, and ticketmaster offered us a grace period in which we could receive a refund as an option, I accepted. Alas, no Morrissey this go-around...

Or so I thought. Morrissey obviously couldn’t countenance the thought of me, lil ol’ me, sitting by the wayside while he would otherwise pass through the night. And so he took it upon himself to add a show. Just for me, you see. I know so because he scheduled an intimate show. At Hollywood High School. My freaking alma mater! And he even opened with “Alma Matters”. wink wink; nudge nudge. I mean, hello?! Even Stevie f***ing Wonder could’ve seen that Morrissey did this just for yours truly, right? Right?! That’s what I thought. There being no dissent, onwards...

The evening started with Russell Brand giving a vivacious, humorous and touching introduction as you’ll note from the video in the previous page. Morrissey looked quite fit. Even more so from when I thought the same thing about 10 months ago. Maybe due to his recent illness; maybe not. Nevertheless, one could see that he was really well up for it. A spring in his voice and his toes.

Some highlights: During one number (can’t remember which), he picked up a fluorescent orange cardboard sign from the audience. The sign had pasted upon it a large picture of Morrissey from back in the day. The caption read: “Class of ’77 -- Voted Best Hair”. Morrissey held up the sign next to him in juxtaposition for a good long while. Hearty laughter ensued.

Morrissey offered the microphone to about four different people, the first of whom offered an eloquent, heart-warming but not overly effusive gratitude to Morrissey. Incidentally, I’ve had these thought experiments where I’d contemplate Morrissey handing me the mike, and imaging how I’d feel and what I’d say. Anything and everything that springs to mind is just absolute drivel. On the order of, “Uhh...You rock! Uhh...Freebird!!” Or something equally vapid. So I doff my cap to those of you who’ve deftly met the challenge.

It’s just not a Morrissey show unless you have grown men fighting over a middle-aged man’s shirt, and Morrissey was glad to oblige not once but twice. Lest you think I’m peering down my nose at such combatants or at such an occurrence, I will tell you that I will gladly elbow your kid’s face or step over the back of your scoliosis afflicted grandmother to get a piece of His shirt. As you can see, my priorities are in order.

In introducing the band, Morrissey reasoned that they have to be turned over every 10 minutes. Immediately prior to the encore, the band then introduced themselves on the Mike: “My name is <insert name>, and I play for Morrissey” or something thereabouts. If I heard right, there was a boo or two for Jesse. The crowd whooped it up heartfeltly for Boz in particular.

Morrissey was in a chatty mood throughout. Nothing related to Jimmy, Beyonce or assault to marriage. Or none that I can recall. Speaking to me directly (obviously), he talked about how we were all back at school... because they always pull you back in. Half-mockingly in a slightly bass voice, he exclaimed, “they crush you! they crush you! they crush you!” The headmaster could not have been pleased.

Straddled on the shoulders of his father (presumably) sat this one kid who we later learned upon having been handed the microphone was the ripe old age of 9. His name is Devon. Devon eventually managed his way to the stage where Morrissey gave him a warm hug, and lifted him up by his side during the encore of “The Boy with the [Boy] in His Side”. The crowd gave one of its mightiest roars of the evening.

There were three emotional highlights for me. The first was “Meat is Murder”. I’m not a vegetarian, but the moment resonated with me. As to where before where it would feel a bit too preachy (“Do you even care?!”), this time, amid the ballyhoo particularly within recent days (an appreciable portion of which was cringeworthy on Morrissey’s part), Morrissey seemed to say it with somewhat slumped shoulders: Warts and all, this is who I am, and these animals are who I fight for. I don’t always agree with him, and often enough, I disagree with him vehemently, but I understand.

The second emotional highlight was the acapella of “Asleep” within “Speedway”. Emotionally riveting.

The third was when Morrissey spared a moment to earnestly reach out to the crowd, “I love you. I love you.”

Morrissey’s singing was top-notch. The band was more than capable. Great energy.

The setlist: Well, I was treated to yet another round of the aforementioned, but the lesson to be learned is this: Set your sights really low, and almost invariably, you’ll come out ahead. And this occasion certainly fit that bill. Plus, I was able to rationalize what I had difficulty rationalizing beforehand: This is Morrissey. As a good friend reminds me, he’s a performance artist of the highest order, and his deeply invested performance will, barring certain catastrophes, carry the day. But apart from those concerns, I relished every note of “That Joke...”. Loved “November”. I can’t get enough of “Maladjusted”. “Still Ill” is still dope (is it still permissible to use the word ‘dope’ as a compliment in this new century?). “Please, please, please...” -- divine. And I hate Oliver Cromwell too; I think. “...Thorn...” -- odd choice for an encore; not nearly as rambunctious as others, but I won’t complain too much.

Heavy Latin American contingency in the house. And Morrissey acknowledged them in particular on several occasions.

If there was a downside (apart from what’s already been noted, e.g., organization of the event, no booze *shock, horror*), it was the small section of people around me. What a buzzkill. They had all the expressiveness of people doing sudoku puzzles. Stay at home next time, you wretched bores. Oh, and not to mention the lady next to me that had B.O. Say it with me. It’s one word: Soap! You smelly pig!

A rather extraordinary homecoming, I’d say.

There was so much more, but I'm still recovering.

There. Done purging. My gratitude to Morrissey for reaching out to me personally in the manner that he did. What a touching gesture.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom