London - O2 Arena (Nov. 29, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Smiler With Knife / The Bullfighter Dies / Trouble Loves Me / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / Scandinavia / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / I'm Not A Man / Speedway // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by @mswro2012 / Twitter, link posted by Hand in Hand-Shoe.

Last edited:
Your signs are based on nothing.

Thanks CG. They are a sign for people to pay attention to him because he writes a blog.Do yourselves a favor and don't bother. Be who you are and enjoy life from your place in the world. A person does not need to be involved in cult behavior to represent who they are as an individual. Anyone who would expect you to not be yourself isn't healthy to be around in the first place. A person cannot live with their entire views slanted via some dictatorship and that isn't why people purchase tickets in the first place.They come from all corners.He is doing this because he wants some sort of glory from it .It's annoying self promotion.He has taken it upon himself to announce what a fan is , how they are supposed to behave in order to impress others and has gone to great lengths to alienate and harass people who do not fit his ideals. He also then claims " Nobody understands him" and somehow he is more enlightened because he gets these alleged " Signs" a few ideas of which were borrowed from much earlier on.His behavior has been nothing short of bullying other fans and taking credit for things he did not think of on his own.Whether it is endorsed or not I don't think I would ever want to attend a concert where someone acts this way or like there should be some type of hierarchy of fandom. The last time I attended a concert it wasn't for the other audience members it was because I wanted to see some live music and the person who was singing live.I do see that you try to be a critical thinker often enough and for that you are appreciated.Even if Morrissey came out on stage and blatantly admitted to people that he was who he claims to be this kind of idiotic behavior would continue. He wants to think he is the first and only and he isn't. He just wants the attention for it . So please be yourselves and don't feed his ego. He doesn't deserve it.

Thanks for sharing your take on the show. Hearing the new songs live must be amazing, especially Smiler With Knife,which is certainly one of my favorites from World Peace. Currently, I'm obsessed with Drag the River and Forgive Someone, but I would be thrilled to have heard any of the new material. Sounds like it was a perfect evening; happy for you, yet a bit sad that I couldn't see any shows on this tour. Your joyful review helps.

lynnda

Parklife !

This is hardly exclusive to Morrissey. I can assure you there were dramatic scenes when I left the o2 after taking my daughter to see Taylor Swift (with a guest appearance by Ed Sheeran). Of course, if one is able to suspend one's critical thinking and sink into the mob atmosphere after a few pints, there's a chance for a minor emotional release/ventilation at many concerts, just as there is at an Arsenal match. So what? It's all just Bread & Circuses, only some snobs insist their 'chosen' cultural artefacts have more validity/authenticity. A decade ago the eejits on this site were bemoaning the fact that "Broccoli Spears" was more popular than their cult singer, now it's Ed Sheeran/One Direction/Justin. Whatever.

There's an entirely plausible case to be made that some of those Artists are of equal cultural significance. Quite clearly, commercially, they are orders of magnitude more popular. There's a cognitive dissonance on this thread whereby the supposed 'sell out show' by Morrissey is put forward as evidence of order and justice in the Universe, but the fact that other artists can sell it out for a week is re-framed to fit Morrissey's absurd 'conspiracy therory' that the NME/Harvest/The Evil Eye is robbing him of his rightful wider, deeper fame. It's nonsense. He's a minor cult singer who can sell out a London arena to the crazed and the curious every couple of years. Enjoy it for what it is but don't expect any claims of Cultural Finesse to go uncontested when they're made in relation to a total dingbat who seriously thinks beginning a concert with a caption of the Queen 'flipping the bird'/United Kingdum is anything other than risible. TQID is a great song. It doesn't need 14 year old YouTube comments to debase it.

best wishes
BB

- - - Updated - - -

You are confused. I haven't posted about "Morrissey" since September. FAIL! Not that you'll let the facts of my comment history enlighten you.

How do you know Morrissey usually delivers "on the big occasions" if you're "not into big venues"? Have you been to one of his arena shows? Thought not. I have. It was Dire. Next contestant!

best wishes
BB

Quoting you, "I haven't commented here since September and doubt I will be moved to do so again for some time".

I would say FAIL right back at you but what kind of window licker says FAIL all the time anyway? Oh yes...

Quoting you, "I haven't commented here since September and doubt I will be moved to do so again for some time".

I would say FAIL right back at you but what kind of window licker says FAIL all the time anyway? Oh yes...

Again, I FAIL to see how your comments to me are on-topic. I have no interest in discussing anything other than the epochal gig at the o2 on this thread. Please refrain from any further attempts to distract me, thereby raising your profile on this site by attempting to bask in my luminous aura. In other words: FAIL!

best
BB

Can all sensible people agree to something here please.

On the Dublin thread can we just ignore people like Brum and Barleycorn, don't reply to them or argue with them. Don't challenge them. Just ignore.

If we can do that they will be left like idiots mumbling to themselves in the corner at a party.

Please please please let them get what they deserve.

Jay

Excellent gig even though we were on the very back row!!! Loved the new songs, thought Morrissey sounded great and his voice during Asleep was better than in The Smiths days. Some people were not happy with the set list, always wanting more Smiths songs, may be he shouldn't do any like in the earlier part of his solo career and then we all know what to expect. Must be so difficult making a set list from such an amazing back catalogue. Overall I would give the night 8 out of 10 and that was my 12th gig.

Blatantly advertising a free seat giveaway would give the game away and enrage the punters who paid, as does the 28% Sale Discount today on Mporium Tour Merchandise, no doubt. Seats were also given away free in the hours running up to the last arena show in Manchester in 2012, so it's hardly a new trick to ensure Morrissey thinks he's sold out the show.

Maurice E Maher confirms in a comment above that "I decided at about 6pm to go, and bought a ticket from the box office on arrival - there were a few hundred to spare." It didn't sell out, but it was well attended. If journalists weren't given review tickets that perhaps explains why there aren't many reviews.

best
BB

It's a common thing to give away tickets. And it's the big names that do it most. I work near a major venue. Ticket giveaways a day or so before a gig happen all the time. The ticket resale market now capitalise on limiting demand. When it fails it's the artist who loses out, although some release tickets directly to the resale market themselves to make sure that they are on the make too.

Can all sensible people agree to something here please.

On the Dublin thread can we just ignore people like Brum and Barleycorn, don't reply to them or argue with them. Don't challenge them. Just ignore.

If we can do that they will be left like idiots mumbling to themselves in the corner at a party.

Please please please let them get what they deserve.

Jay

Well said. Brum & Barleycorn seem to be mentally ill narcissists with no insights and nothing meaningful to offer. They seem to thrive on provoking reactions, so ignoring them would definitely be the best way forward. Your post should be a sticky at the top of all new threads.

Could the regular anonymous negative posters please register so that I can place them on my ignore list. It only takes a minute and will save many people many minutes, which is something to feel good about. Thanks.

Have you read this?

You can ignore all anonymous posts, click "settings" on top right of your monitor, then click "edit ignore list" on the left.

It was my 31st Morrissey show this evening; this time with my nine year-old daughter in tow. Bit late for her, but she loves Staircase and the sooner the realises there's more to life than One Direction (her first show, at Wembley) and the shouty harridan that is Katy Perry, the better.

I thought Morrissey's voice was particularly strong and affecting this evening - it was a faultless vocal performance (although, of course, he never 'performs'). The set-list was drawn mostly from the last album, but I'm personally glad to hear it live.

The footage accompanying Meat Is Murder was more graphic than I remembered, and although I've not eaten meat for 35 years, I found myself wondering about my dairy intake for the first time on the way home. Still packs a punch after all this time.

The 02 is a soul-less shed hell-bent on emptying your pockets (the car park is £21 even if you pre-book). Would love to see Morrissey back in the regional theatres and leisure centres which suit his sense of history rather than these awful hangers, but think it's unlikely (Llandudno Conference Centre, anyone?)

Final thought: what an extraordinary career in music Morrissey has had and how many thoroughly lovely, profoundly touching and immensely thrilling songs he's put his voice to over the years. It's an incredible legacy.

Completely agree with the sentiments presented here. A really enjoyable show with a really good vibe from the crowd in a soulless bunker of a venue!!! Looking forward to the next time. We love you Mozzer!

I enjoyed the gig. I felt the pace/set list was at a slower pace than previous tours. And YES, you will never make everyone happy with the song choices. That's always been the way. However, we should respect people's different opinions. To see comments like "If you didn't like the gig, then f*** off" is embarrassing. People have different opinions in life, get over it.

I was in the upper tier and it was packed where I was. Right up until near the start there were many empty seats but these filled up really quickly after. There were a few empty seats but there seems to be at most gigs I go to nowadays. Do they get bought up by the thinly veiled tout sites?

Have you read this?

You can ignore all anonymous posts, click "settings" on top right of your monitor, then click "edit ignore list" on the left.

It's a shame there's no way to ignore named posters too. Pretty sure most people would ignore the same half a dozen idiots - and without their beloved captive audience, the trolls would just creep away.

Thank you for that feedback. I look forward to your comments on the o2 Arena show.

Your Halloween blog is an Imperfect List, you forgot this.

best
BB

Merchandise @ -28%, free tickets handed out in Covent Garden…

And purchasing a ticket, and full-priced tour merchandise, is a waste…. It’s a lot…. like…. attending an arena Morrissey show..

One of the only positives to take from attending a show of this size is that he’s less likely to get in a huff and storm off stage when there are approximately 18,000 sets of eyes watching him. A couple of thousand hearts at a smaller venue can be broken without regret, but they weren’t bringing in The Big Money. They should have bought more merchandise, perhaps. Even though, Morrissey might get a bigger passive aggressive ‘schadenfreude’ thrill from knowing 18,000 paying admirers are miserable because of him, and he still took their money! Who knows? Thankfully, for them, he managed to hold it together for 90 minutes. Not that they were worth a few extra songs, a light show, or anything of the sort. They got the same as what someone at a 2,500 capacity venue would get, but with less intimacy and for more money.

At least the attendees at the not quite packed 02 could feel somewhat assured (maybe 85-90% sure) that they were going to see a full show, as long as he arrived, and no bottles were thrown. Although if they were seated up ‘in the Gods’ then they weren’t actually going to be able to ‘see’ the show anyway.

Commentators have focussed on the concert-goers leaving the arena being “speechless” and that it was a life-changing experience for them. The concert-goers in Warsaw were similarly ‘speechless’, I imagine, for different reasons, but their experience was conveniently brushed aside at the time as it didn’t suit posters’ ‘confirmation bias’ agenda. Instead they repeatedly watched the YouTube video of the ‘incident’, straining to hear anything which justified the overreaction. The opinions of those innocent by-standers at that car crash concert were of little importance to the people here, their experience was dismissed with “Better luck next time” “It’s worth the risk of getting cancelled, or walked out on, and losing money on travel and accommodation, because when it’s good it’s sooooo good.” “At least you got to hear three of the best songs ever written before your world came crashing down around you, why the hell are you complaining?”

Morrissey’s attempt at jousting with the ‘heckler’ in Essen was almost as pitiful as his grand diva exits. It must have been at the insistence of the long-suffering Boz & Co. that the next time someone shouts an inappropriate and hurtful remark that they should be challenged on the spot. “We can’t keep walking out on ‘em like that, Moz.” So up went the house lights – but he was unable to give the heckler a firm dressing down with so many faces watching.

If it were someone in his employ, in private, then it would be a whole other story. He’d think nothing of destroying their livelihood, putting them at risk of losing their house and being unable to put their children through college, having them pleading with him to keep their job and so on – it wouldn’t matter. Nothing would sway him then. Usually he’d relish the opportunity of being malicious to somebody who wronged him, but he couldn’t do that with so many people listening. So instead he half-heartedly sang another few songs whilst his inability to confront the heckler gradually infuriated him, to the point where he finally had enough and punished the entire audience by walking off yet again.

He should have just got Donnie and his henchmen to wait outside for the reprobate after the show, they could have pulled his red sweater up over his head, given him a few slaps, and he would know in future not to tell a singer to “just sing”.

Here’s hoping that everything goes swimmingly tonight, the Dublin audience deserve their €80 anti-capitalist, anti-government evening with Morrissey after six years of austerity. And don’t forget to buy the stencil!

Just don’t shout anything which could be misheard as something else. Actually, it would be preferable if nothing got shouted at all; and only breathe when it’s absolutely necessary.

If he sings Mountjoy, and I assume he will, the least he can do is change the lyrics to “I took their insults on the chin, and I took my ball and went home”. Or “I took their insults on the chin, then I took my limo back to the 5 star hotel”. He can’t possibly sing the original lyrics now without appearing completely dishonest. Not that he cares much anymore about giving the impression that he has a modicum of integrity left...

With the best of intentions,
and with the people of Dublin in my prayers,
‘Mozambiguous’

Last edited by a moderator:
Merchandise @ -28%, free tickets handed out in Covent Garden…

And purchasing a ticket, and full-priced tour merchandise, is a waste…. It’s a lot…. like…. attending an arena Morrissey show..

One of the only positives to take from attending a show of this size is that he’s less likely to get in a huff and storm off stage when there are approximately 18,000 sets of eyes watching him. A couple of thousand hearts at a smaller venue can be broken without regret, but they weren’t bringing in The Big Money. They should have bought more merchandise, perhaps. Even though, Morrissey might get a bigger passive aggressive ‘schadenfreude’ thrill from knowing 18,000 paying admirers are miserable because of him, and he still took their money! Who knows? Thankfully, for them, he managed to hold it together for 90 minutes. Not that they were worth a few extra songs, a light show, or anything of the sort. They got the same as what someone at a 2,500 capacity venue would get, but with less intimacy and for more money.

At least the attendees at the not quite packed 02 could feel somewhat assured (maybe 85-90% sure) that they were going to see a full show, as long as he arrived, and no bottles were thrown. Although if they were seated up ‘in the Gods’ then they weren’t actually going to be able to ‘see’ the show anyway.

Commentators have focussed on the concert-goers leaving the arena being “speechless” and that it was a life-changing experience for them. The concert-goers in Warsaw were similarly ‘speechless’, I imagine, for different reasons, but their experience was conveniently brushed aside at the time as it didn’t suit posters’ ‘confirmation bias’ agenda. Instead they repeatedly watched the YouTube video of the ‘incident’, straining to hear anything which justified the overreaction. The opinions of those innocent by-standers at that car crash concert were of little importance to the people here, their experience was dismissed with “Better luck next time” “It’s worth the risk of getting cancelled, or walked out on, and losing money on travel and accommodation, because when it’s good it’s sooooo good.” “At least you got to hear three of the best songs ever written before your world came crashing down around you, why the hell are you complaining?”

Morrissey’s attempt at jousting with the ‘heckler’ in Essen was almost as pitiful as his grand diva exits. It must have been at the insistence of the long-suffering Boz & Co. that the next time someone shouts an inappropriate and hurtful remark that they should be challenged on the spot. “We can’t keep walking out on ‘em like that, Moz.” So up went the house lights – but he was unable to give the heckler a firm dressing down with so many faces watching.

If it were someone in his employ, in private, then it would be a whole other story. He’d think nothing of destroying their livelihood, putting them at risk of losing their house and being unable to put their children through college, having them pleading with him to keep their job and so on – it wouldn’t matter. Nothing would sway him then. Usually he’d relish the opportunity of being malicious to somebody who wronged him, but he couldn’t do that with so many people listening. So instead he half-heartedly sang another few songs whilst his inability to confront the heckler gradually infuriated him, to the point where he finally had enough and punished the entire audience by walking off yet again.

He should have just got Donnie and his henchmen to wait outside for the reprobate after the show, they could have pulled his red sweater up over his head, given him a few slaps, and he would know in future not to tell a singer to “just sing”.

Here’s hoping that everything goes swimmingly tonight, the Dublin audience deserve their €80 anti-capitalist, anti-government evening with Morrissey after six years of austerity. And don’t forget to buy the stencil!

Just don’t shout anything which could be misheard as something else. Actually, it would be preferable if nothing got shouted at all; and only breathe when it’s absolutely necessary.

If he sings Mountjoy, and I assume he will, the least he can do is change the lyrics to “I took their insults on the chin, and I took my ball and went home”. Or “I took their insults on the chin, then I took my limo back to the 5 star hotel”. He can’t possibly sing the original lyrics now without appearing completely dishonest. Not that he cares much anymore about giving the impression that he has a modicum of integrity left...

With the best of intentions,
and with the people of Dublin in my prayers,
‘Mozambigious’

Very incisive elocution. One point I would, if I were so bold: dark thoughts of refunding 15 000 tickets will make him sing to the 90 minute mark more often than not. Its the majority of shows, the 1800 seaters, that are always at peril.

Tags
gig review louderthanwar morrissey o2 london

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom