London - O2 Academy Brixton (Aug. 7, 2011) post-show

I just have to share this right now.
http://lockerz.com/s/127541861
Do you see this thing in the right corner? I thought somebody was joking earlier on when he twittered about a nude Morrissey cardboard. I have this funny feeling that Morrissey is doing a Charlie Sheen. It worked for him, because from what I read his comedy show or whatever he toured with sold pretty well. Britney Spears sold the most records ever when she went bonkers and Kate Moss was back in business amazingly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen Morrissey on this tour and was surprised how strong his voice was, how up for it he was and how trim he looked. The set-list is a gift for more casual fans and the audience loved it, taking every opportunity to sing along. I really liked the drama of SCANDINAVIA and hearing ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME live for the first time gave me goosebumps, so catchy. Couldn't really make out ART-HOUNDS on first hearing - just sounded like a wall of noise and PEOPLE ARE THE SAME is OK but feels like it needs something more to lift it above the ordinary. I've never really bothered with the complaints about Jesse Tobias, but tonight I did feel that some of his guitar parts were disappointing - for some of the solos it was like he'd dispensed with a perfectly good tune to create a substandard noise. Maybe it was just the mix or the PA, I don't know much about these things, but that was my impression. It makes sense for M to be playing so many hits while he is looking for a record deal, but I am personally looking forward to hearing an album's worth of new songs live 'as a piece' as we did on the RINGLEADER tour where the new songs give the tour a special character. Anyway, Morrissey very much alive and well on the evidence of this evening. I imagine if someone was seeing him for the first time they would not be disappointed. Not a conclusive review, just a few thoughts for people who are still interested in the shows...

Fair point. And perhaps my timings are a little off. However perhaps my gripe then is more with the quality of the fare on offer (although I'm sure I've seen longer sets from Moz previously) - like I say, would "Oujia board" and "Alma Matters" feature on many peoples wish lists ahead of other tracks (and I'm not talking about just singles btw)? I can't claim to be a "front row" afficionado, and if that disqualifies me from "negative" criticism then I'm happy to button it. Just wondering how many reports are received on this forum that aren't in the affirmative?

You are most welcome here! In these times - since Morrissey has become rubbish - we need as much considered negativity as you can muster. Keep up the good work. These (hopefully) are the End Days. Tempus Fugit.

Once again, welcome!

I genuinely thought when Meat is Murder finished it was just a shirt
change not end of set then encore!

As powerful song as it is it's not a 'closer' more of a bridging song in a set.

Art Hounds and Scandinavia were 'get a beer songs' for me and I think he expects the audience to sing 'There is a Light' out but the band plays for too long to do so!

Too rushed all in all, I loved it as always, but not sure a neutral would. 7/10 from War Torn South East London.

Last edited:
No trouble in brixton, everyone get home ok? Hope so....

No trouble in brixton, everyone get home ok? Hope so....

Had a cab booked for 12, but was told by the Old Bill that it was kicking off in Coldharbour so thought f*** it why risk getting stuck there so went home :0(

There is always tomorrow....

"...Scandinavia were 'get a beer songs' for me..."

son, move on, you don't understand nothing...

Art Hounds is a real f***ing stomper. Best of the new tunes. "15 pills to send me to sleep, 15 pills to send me awake? I don't understand!" and a repeated refrain that sounded something like "My life is open".

Excellent gig. Crowd were lively and M appreciated it. "David Cameron has never been to Tottenham!" M given records and presents on numerous occassions: "Nice, nice, nice, nice....nice". During outro of Meat is Murder someone shouted "We love you Morrissey!" to which he responded with a look that said "Thanks, but this really isn't the f***ing time, is it?"

Brilliant.

I hope everyone is safe from the rioters. :o Getting worried....

I think this must be the first tour thread in ages which is actually about the gig. Fantastic! My post isn't but I'm not an American troll

jonnyH - I felt the same as you after Plymouth, I can't justify spending £40 on just over an hour's performance repeatedly anymore

Normally I would have been there tonight (Brixton is a great venue and its Moz) or tomorrow (probably best ever Moz-solo gig, I've been to at the Palladium, May 28th 2006) but I feel nowadays he is phoning it in. And then the odd night (such as the rescheduled Salisbury show I went to on the Swords tour) you see a vivacious, raucous gig. But everything in life is subjective, particularly live concerts.

However seeing such a hit and miss is hardly surprising considering he is in his fifites. But I think we all want Moz-solo to aesthetically be that live performer in those heady early 90s days? So I am prepared to cut some slack but then I see singers/ bands of a similar aged British/ Irish outsider trait (Lydon, MES) who give you either a value for money performance or price themselves accordingly. Despite Moz's best controversial protestations and the probability he will be remembered as a genuine artist after his death (Famous When Dead!)

Then you read reviews like his appearance in Belgium and that sounded, to me, hysterically funny.

As for the comment about the ROTT tour, I have to agree. I'm sure little if any of that album was ever played live prior to its release.

But now he tours and premieres a significant proportion of his new songs. I realise part of the morrissey being is this vaudevillian Northern music hall entertainer but seriously 5 songs out there for the fan base already will not get you a record deal. (and I'll admit after hearing them on janice Long they have improved immeasurably)

Anyway hope the Palladium gig is a memorable night, but if it surpasses May 28th 2006 I'll be gutted. And shocked

I'm just pissed to come home to riots in Enfield after a FANTASTIC gig: I really fancied a krispy Kreme doughnut... Damn you rioters!

17th Moz gig and in the top 5, thought he was great tonight. The new NEW song Arthouse was intriguing, in a good way.

Too much ale, so to bed with you! And to all the trolls, cheer up, at least your krispy kreme's not on fire.

Had a great night. Loads of police about when I arrived but didn't see any afterwards. Didn't see any trouble but would have thought we might have had Panic in the circumstances but at least Moz said "Do you think that Cameron has ever visited Totenham" (where last might's riots were).
Wore a black shirt then a red one which was thrown.
He credited Janice Long as writing People are the same everywhere?
The life size black and white cardboard cut out was signed and fifty quid.
Art hounds was introduced as a new song and sounded good.
Took the usual sweaty 15minutes to get out of the Academy. Just hope they never need to evacuate it in a hurry.
Good night. voice sounding good. Personally I prefered the Bradford gig.

I can amuse you but then there's nothing I can do to make you mine... Oh Black Cloud

I'm just pissed to come home to riots in Enfield after a FANTASTIC gig: I really fancied a krispy Kreme doughnut... Damn you rioters!

17th Moz gig and in the top 5, thought he was great tonight. The new NEW song Arthouse was intriguing, in a good way.

Too much ale, so to bed with you! And to all the trolls, cheer up, at least your krispy kreme's not on fire.

You're the one for me Krispy

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom