London - Eventim Apollo (March 19, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Our Frank / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / I Wish You Lonely / Jim Jim Falls / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Istanbul / Girlfriend In A Coma / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Without Music The World Dies / Half A Person / Trouble Loves Me / Suedehead / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @NealCassidy.

Media items:

Last edited:
True, but it helps if you have a record company and management behind you to make those media connections.

Morrissey ‘played the game’ in 2004 and 2017 briefly but he is generally not the sort of artist to do so. It doesn’t suit him, so he’s wise not to engage.
He "played the game" quite a bit during The Smiths and early in his solo career. He engaged and gave terrific interviews, TV and radio appearances. Are you saying that was a mistake?

Last edited:
Suede made a fantastic record (autofiction) which made numerous best of lists last year and are still excellent live band, Brett Anderson being a superb showman / front person

Suede deserve the recognition they are getting. It does also do them no harm that they’ve turned up to do live sessions on bbc radio 2 piano room , Virgin radio and played their part in marketing the album, working the album, some decry as ‘playing the game’

They are no hindered by comments that burned Morrissey regarding Islam , race / for Britain so they aren’t a contentious subject for music mags / sites to run stories on,

Could also say that Ian Brown is now in the same camp as Morrissey. Will be struggling to get good press coverage after his COVID stance.

As I’ve said before , until Morrissey really rows back the some of his comments / particularly the support For Britain : wearing that lapel badge , he’s going to be out in the cold with music press in the UK
But in the end it’s the public who decide. And there is room for Suede, Ian Brown and Morrissey. We don’t all have to please the press.

It’s the music that matters in the end.

He "played the game" quite a bit early in The Smiths and his solo career. He engaged and gave terrific interviews, TV and radio appearances. Are you saying that was a mistake?
No, why would I say that? When he did that and was comfortable with it, it was fine.

I enjoyed those Janice or K-Roq sessions immensely. But all in their time.

quite surprising that apart from fee and why now not one newspaper of which there is a ton of or music magazine on the shelves or online havent reviewed the hammersmith concert,ahh well they obviously didnt expect it to go so well and include one of the all-time great concer photos.
This does seem to be the approach. They tried vilification - that didn't work. No one believes what the media say. So now it's sabotage his album and ignore the fact he is playing to packed venues.

But in the end it’s the public who decide. And there is room for Suede, Ian Brown and Morrissey. We don’t all have to please the press.

It’s the music that matters in the end.
But The music needs to be heard & people to be aware of it
Without the publicity machine (marketing , good press , then your just playing to the devoted few, the general public unaware of what they are missing

This does seem to be the approach. They tried vilification - that didn't work. No one believes what the media say. So now it's sabotage his album and ignore the fact he is playing to packed venues.
whats the point when they start every interview with bigmouth this or bigmouth that,lazy journalism at its worst.

Brilliant gig, I enjoyed every moment.
One of his speeches between songs he mentioned something about artists being difficult… does anyone remember what he said?

Alongside the lines of artists being just as troubled as other people

Suede made a fantastic record (autofiction) which made numerous best of lists last year and are still excellent live band, Brett Anderson being a superb showman / front person

Suede deserve the recognition they are getting. It does also do them no harm that they’ve turned up to do live sessions on bbc radio 2 piano room , Virgin radio and played their part in marketing the album, working the album, some decry as ‘playing the game’

They are no hindered by comments that burned Morrissey regarding Islam , race / for Britain so they aren’t a contentious subject for music mags / sites to run stories on,

Could also say that Ian Brown is now in the same camp as Morrissey. Will be struggling to get good press coverage after his COVID stance.

As I’ve said before , until Morrissey really rows back the some of his comments / particularly the support For Britain : wearing that lapel badge , he’s going to be out in the cold with music press in the UK
Have always loved Suede - going all the way back to their first single in 1992. Brett has never been particularly 'gobby' or opinionated in interviews. Maybe that's a good thing? He is from less of a working class background than Moz or Ian Brown, maybe that is the difference?
But it is becoming more and more clear that lockdowns were a public health disaster and the vaccines not that effective, although with some very significant cardiac side effects in healthy young people. Time will judge Ian's stance favourably I think. As it will Moz's too.

But The music needs to be heard & people to be aware of it
Without the publicity machine (marketing , good press , then your just playing to the devoted few, the general public unaware of what they are missing
Still more people listen to Morrissey than to Suede, so he must do something right.

Ian Brown also is doing quite well. There are more ways to make people listen than just playing along industry guidelines.

Still more people listen to Morrissey than to Suede, so he must do something right.

Ian Brown also is doing quite well. There are more ways to make people listen than just playing along industry guidelines.

What’s your definition of listening to? Suede’s latest album charted at number 2 and they are currently on a sell out tour of the UK that includes 2 nights at Brixton which is 10k people.

What’s your definition of listening to? Suede’s latest album charted at number 2 and they are currently on a sell out tour of the UK that includes 2 nights at Brixton which is 10k people.
It’s like an ever spinning record with you.

I mean worldwide appeal, not talking about an individual country. Morrissey monthly listeners 1,8 million, Suede 0,72 million.

Great venue, great sound, setlist a let down personally.

The tour tee is glorious.

The new songs have nothing on the BOT stuff but I still enjoyed them.

Agreed. I saw a BBC Breakfast interview with Brett the other day (it was from around 2020 I think) and he was saying how he is happy to tour the old albums now and then (think they were about to tour Coming Up) because the fans like it but also because Suede are still making good records so he's happy to mix it up now and again by doing a 'nostalgia tour' of an earlier album.

Playing the game/giving fans what they want/call it what you will. But it obviously works. Moz should learn from this approach.

It’s like an ever spinning record with you.

I mean worldwide appeal, not talking about an individual country. Morrissey monthly listeners 1,8 million, Suede 0,72 million.

Actually Thewlis, all you ever do is quote Spotify listens. Morissey may have more listens than Suede but has no record deal and struggles to sell out even small venues nowadays, whereas Suede have just had an album that landed at number 2 in the charts, a sell out US tour and are in the middle of a sell out UK tour.

Which do you think Morrissey would prefer right now, the Spotify listens or what Suede are seeing at the moment?

546FE31E-B87C-4BF2-8368-E31FB7189C17.png

Actually Thewlis, all you ever do is quote Spotify listens. Morissey may have more listens than Suede but has no record deal and struggles to sell out even small venues nowadays, whereas Suede have just had an album that landed at number 2 in the charts, a sell out US tour and are in the middle of a sell out UK tour.

Which do you think Morrissey would prefer right now, the Spotify listens or what Suede are seeing at the moment?

View attachment 89952

I love Suede, saw them on every tour they did since 1993. But to claim they are anywhere near Morrissey in terms of worldwide appeal or success is ludicrous, you know that as well as anyone.

I love Suede, saw them on every tour they did since 1993. But to claim they are anywhere near Morrissey in terms of worldwide appeal or success is ludicrous, you know that as well as anyone.

I’ve never said Suede have anyway near the worldwide success Morrissey has all I’m saying is that Spotify listens don’t equal success, Right now Suede are seeing a lot of success and Morrissey seems to be struggling.

Yo never answered the question, would Morrissey prefer lots of Spotify listens or a record deal and sell out tours rather than a couple of dates here and there?

View attachment 89952
Seeing Suede next week, for the first time since Barrowland 2002. I’m rather excited.

I’ve never said Suede have anyway near the worldwide success Morrissey has all I’m saying is that Spotify listens don’t equal success, Right now Suede are seeing a lot of success and Morrissey seems to be struggling.

Yo never answered the question, would Morrissey prefer lots of Spotify listens or a record deal and sell out tours rather than a couple of dates here and there?
That’s what we’ve been talking about yesterday on these pages. Morrissey only wants a deal and success on his own terms, not on any record company’s terms.

And yes, he sure will be thrilled with the success of this last mini tour and his ever increasing monthly listening public. Why wouldn’t he be?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom