London, England - Eventim Apollo (Sep. 21, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Let The Right One Slip In / Suedehead / Speedway / Ganglord / Boxers / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Staircase At The University / Alma Matters / Will Never Marry / My Dearest Love / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Oboe Concerto / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Everyday Is Like Sunday // The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by Morran.

Last edited:
He said something along the lines of 'this concludes our shows in the UK but we will always be close to you'

Great gig. I loved that he played boxers, let the right one in, my dearest love, now my heart is full and will never marry.

I went both nights and it was full a good 30 mins before each gig. Must have only been a few tickets left if it didn't sell out.

I love EDIS and TQID but all I could think is this will be the last time I see him.

Thanks Moz for a great 20 gigs over the last 11 years. From Grimsby to Kraków via the M.E.N you were always amazing.

Sounds awesome, did his ruse to shift tickets work?

Any classic bantz? Love Morrissey, hate London crowds but saw Primal Scream in 2002/3 at this venue and it remains one of the loudest and greatest gigs I've ever been to. Tix were 15 quid too

So I hope those who attended feel they got value for money.

If you weren't a Moz loyalist and walked in off the street you would struggle to justify the ticket price.

Too many obscure songs as always, but he doesn't give a toss and that's part of the deal.

Think he's ran out of Classic Bantz....mentioning the Brit Awards was really tired.

He forgot the lines twice during 'Staircase'.....

The band and his voice were the best I've heard for a long long while, but if there was an unreleased b side that is only on Austrian Youtube, via subscription only, he would play it.

Can anyone identify the people shown on the screen during the show? Bruce Lee at the start. I think they were the same on both nights.

Who was the "gang with the ghettoblaster", woman with the veil, etc?

And were they connected to the songs? Like the bull killing the bullfighter

He said something along the lines of 'this concludes our shows in the UK but we will always be close to you'

Great gig. I loved that he played boxers, let the right one in, my dearest love, now my heart is full and will never marry.

I went both nights and it was full a good 30 mins before each gig. Must have only been a few tickets left if it didn't sell out.

I love EDIS and TQID but all I could think is this will be the last time I see him.

Thanks Moz for a great 20 gigs over the last 11 years. From Grimsby to Kraków via the M.E.N you were always amazing.

Great post.

So so weary - the people who come here and criticise. Last night in Hammersmith was sublime. With regard to being the final show his actual words were "Our UK days draw to a close. But there's no need to be sad. We shall be close for the rest of our days". That's what he said folks. In no way does that 'confirm' that he is done with the UK. It means these UK shows are finished. Or could mean that.

Anyway, what a setlist - Boxers, My Dearest Love, Now My Heart is Full - wonderful stuff. He wasn't as chatty as previously and I thought he looked tired in the last 20 minutes or so. Don't know how the security guys held the tide during Sunday, I was sure they would be overwhelmed and the stage would fill.

On the balcony Russell Brand was preening like a peacock. After the show I saw Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) - no preening there, quality act and looking very well indeed.

The band and his voice were the best I've heard for a long long while, but if there was an unreleased b side that is only on Austrian Youtube, via subscription only, he would play it.

Well, I dream to hear Honey, you know where to find me live, so I don't care much.

If you weren't a Moz loyalist and walked in off the street you would struggle to justify the ticket price.

Too many obscure songs as always, but he doesn't give a toss and that's part of the deal.

Think he's ran out of Classic Bantz....mentioning the Brit Awards was really tired.

He forgot the lines twice during 'Staircase'.....

If he didn't play for the Moz loyalist who would he play for at this stage? If you really think Boxers is an obscure song, or that My Dearest Love ranks alongside your ridiculous analogy re Austrian youtube then you haven't grasped the
essence of the man. It may not be your fault but it doesn't justify the nonsense you wrote. Agree about the Brits dig though - I was sitting waiting for a good pig reference given the news of the day.

I missed what he was saying between songs about Wagon Wheels? Can anyone remember?! Some annoying Irish guy near me was shouting repeatedly "FIRST OF THE GANG! FIRST OF THE GANG STEPHEN! DO I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF?!" so I missed it. tit

He asked if anyone knew where you could buy vegan wagon wheels...

I missed what he was saying between songs about Wagon Wheels? Can anyone remember?! Some annoying Irish guy near me was shouting repeatedly "FIRST OF THE GANG! FIRST OF THE GANG STEPHEN! DO I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF?!" so I missed it. tit

Is that when he said "I don't play that song any more"? I had a brief heart-stopping moment when I thought somebody had pushed him too far

Does anyone seriously believe he'll never play in Manchester again?

And what's the point of not playing in the UK, but continuing to play in the rest of the world?

I'm also very surprised he hasn't approached Australian labels - his last couple of forays down under had a huge impact. I know a couple of people who work in the media/music industry in Australia who are of the opinion that he'd be signed in a heartbeat.

So so weary - the people who come here and criticise. Last night in Hammersmith was sublime. With regard to being the final show his actual words were "Our UK days draw to a close. But there's no need to be sad. We shall be close for the rest of our days". That's what he said folks. In no way does that 'confirm' that he is done with the UK. It means these UK shows are finished. Or could mean that.

Anyway, what a setlist - Boxers, My Dearest Love, Now My Heart is Full - wonderful stuff. He wasn't as chatty as previously and I thought he looked tired in the last 20 minutes or so. Don't know how the security guys held the tide during Sunday, I was sure they would be overwhelmed and the stage would fill.

On the balcony Russell Brand was preening like a peacock. After the show I saw Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) - no preening there, quality act and looking very well indeed.

Thankyou so much for your post cheered me up a bit .

I was behind Brand. He spent 90% of the time looking around as opposed to watching Morrissey.

Curious if any of you fans in the UK are upset that this was his last show over there, it seems like no one is really making it a big deal.

Brits are a cynical lot by and large, and Morrissey's wider reputation, beyond a diminishing fanbase, is almost non-existent. It is easy to think, when you are close to something, that it s the most important thing in the world, when in truth it almost certainly isn't. If people can go through their days without thinking deeply of Mozart, Beethoven, Picasso or Van Gogh, they can certainly forget about Morrissey.

There's a famous John Lennon quote he gave to Rolling Stone in the 70s:

I remember when I first heard that wondering how could Lennon possibly think that? All those amazing hits? Those iconic albums and Beatles moments woven in time? Carnaby Street, the Swinging Sixties, miniskirts, jumpers for goalposts, Beatles. Yet as you get older and hopefully wiser you realise he was right. When you think of his fate, you realise even more.

The first time I heard that Lennon quote was probably around the time Viva Hate was due and I probably hadn't fully recovered from the Smiths having split. My dearest wish then was that somehow VH would carry on the Smiths legacy untainted and without a pause for breath, and of course it largely succeeded in doing so. It is still a beautiful record, and is a perfect snapshot of that moment in time. Put alongside recent Morrissey output it is an intelligent, beautiful, wistful and delicate thing - but so is a runaway steamroller heading towards an infant school playground at lunchtime.

Morrissey's "last" UK gig passed without a whimper here. Few care. Let me rephrase that. Even fewer care. At the peak of the Smiths they seeped into the British consciousness, even earning the ultimate accolade of Radio 4 having heard of them...

.... but it was hardly mass adulation. They were always rather a secret, which was part of the attraction. Even when they were all over the media it felt like it was something for the cognoscenti. It became a sort of shorthand. If someone didn't like the Smiths you knew they were a wrong 'un: Next!

(Listening again to the reaction of the audience to that wonderful lyric makes you realise just how good Morrissey was.)

I've been posting less here because I find this current version of Morrissey stultifying boring. He isn't the same amusing, witty, razor sharp breath of fresh air he once was. The result of not having to think about how awful he is now has been that when a Smiths song bubbles up to the surface on my phone I can actually enjoy it for what it is, rather than projectile vomiting and grabbing blindly for the forward button.

In half a century's time, when most of us have gone some kid will go onto a music site and see a page about the Smiths. He'll check out few reviews to see what is worth having, and in a blink of an eye - probably with a blink of an eye - he'll download the most regarded of Morrissey's work. It'll include all of the Smiths output, Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I. The rest he'll leave, because the review aggregator told him to.

Morrissey won't have the great advantage John Lennon, Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley had, and instead shares the fate of Paul McCartney and Elton John of living long enough to balls it all up. For some reason only he can explain he's traded the short term benefit of breathing with the long term advantages of taking the easy way out and preserving his legacy.

Pure thoughtless self indulgence, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom