Lloyd Cole... where to begin?

9 x Fined

nevermind
Before someone uploaded the b-side collection the only song I knew by him was Perfect Skin. I know, shoot me.

So what's a good album to start with, Lloyd Cole experts?

You should start where it all began: Rattlesnakes. Then go chronologically from there. His solo work post-Commotions is great, too. 'Antidepressant' from a couple of years back is wonderful.

'Rattlesnakes' is still one of my all-time favourite albums. There was a deluxe edition released in 2004 (I think), which has lots of bonus tracks, so you might want to get that one.

You should start where it all began: Rattlesnakes. Then go chronologically from there. His solo work post-Commotions is great, too. 'Antidepressant' from a couple of years back is wonderful.

'Rattlesnakes' is still one of my all-time favourite albums. There was a deluxe edition released in 2004 (I think), which has lots of bonus tracks, so you might want to get that one.

Exactly.

Unfortunately I still haven't listened his solo stuff yet. :o

10 best LC songs (official list)
-Jennifer she said
-Deux chevaux
-Are you ready to be heartbroken?
-Like lovers do
-Hey rusty
-Woman in a bar
-Brand new friend
-Charlotte Street
-Perfect blue
-Rattlesnakes

Can only agree 100%
Start with Rattlesnakes, Easy Pieces and then Mainstream - sadly I too have never picked up on his solo stuff:(

'Forest Fire' is a total classic.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers beers all!

Beer-smiley.jpg

How good were Lloyd and his Commotions?

Thought there would be a lot of crossover between Smiths and LC & C fans. Just wondering if that were the case.

'Jennifer She Said' is a personal favourite...

Re: How good were Lloyd and his Commotions?

count me in!
waiting for the mail to bring lloyd's new boxset, all his bsides... commotions included methinks. they were kinda competing in the 80s, commotions & the smiths. lloyd's a self-confessed "folk singer" now, still writes good tunes. are the commotions bbc sessions worth picking up?

count me in!
waiting for the mail to bring lloyd's new boxset, all his bsides... commotions included methinks. they were kinda competing in the 80s, commotions & the smiths. lloyd's a self-confessed "folk singer" now, still writes good tunes. are the commotions bbc sessions worth picking up?

Love Lloyd to death - saw him in Bolton last year but think he should get a band rather than this 'folk singer' stuff which does no justice to the tunes.

Not got the BBC sessions in their entirety and I'll confess to missing this new complation. Is it the Commotions or solo? No excuses, but I've been busy working on my own material and a full-time job so...

What I've heard of the BBC stuff is very good though it'll just be 'Rattlesnakes' in it's entirety. Think the later stuff is under-rated though 'Easy Pieces' their most successful album commercially is also by far the worst - only 'Perfect Blue' and 'Cut Me Down' are really good tunes on that one. Don't get me started on 'Brand New Friend' - Lloyd what were you thinking?

Of his solo stuff, Love Story is a standout and 'Like Lovers Do' is one of the best singles of the 90s IMO (cool video too)

Tragically, I am not acquainted with the actual albums, but from my limited knowledge I love 'Lost Weekend', 'Jennifer She Said', 'My Bag', and at least one of the 'famous' ones.. There's also at least one of Lloyd's solo singles I like, as well. I know it's not much, but I've tried my best.. :blushing:

Tragically, I am not acquainted with the actual albums, but from my limited knowledge I love 'Lost Weekend', 'Jennifer She Said', 'My Bag', and at least one of the 'famous' ones.. There's also at least one of Lloyd's solo singles I like, as well. I know it's not much, but I've tried my best.. :blushing:

Your best is fine with me mate.

Take it from your name you're a United fan?

love love love lloyde cole & have seen him on many occasion. personal favorite has to be undressed.

LC is underrated, thats for sure - not in the same league as say Morrissey, Nick Cave or The Bluetones, but still a great artist with a lot of good tunes.

His first 2 albums with the Commotions are well worth a listen, as are a few of his solo album albums, but in recent years he's become a bit turgid. I haven't heard his last solo album "Anti-Depressant", but the one before that "Music In A Foreign Language" is just boring.

Used to be a big Cole fan back in the glory days of '98, but he's faded a bit now.

Your best is fine with me mate.

Take it from your name you're a United fan?

Er.. I'm afraid not. I don't even like football. Over-paid prima donnas, the lot of 'em. ;) More a boxing fan myself.

The name's a reference to the origins of the Skinhead cult. It's used by old-school Skinheads to refer to the original spirit of the cult as opposed to the way it became associated with racist violence in the late 70s and 80s.

I'm not a Skinhead, but I'm interested in the history of the movement.

I love LLoyd Cole when he was with the Commotions, but found his solo work very under par.

I disagree that Easy Pieces was their worst album, it's my favourite by a long way, but then we're all different. I work with a guy whose favourite Mozza album is Kill Uncle and yet I regard it as his weakest.

LC is underrated, thats for sure - not in the same league as say Morrissey, Nick Cave or The Bluetones, but still a great artist with a lot of good tunes.

His first 2 albums with the Commotions are well worth a listen, as are a few of his solo album albums, but in recent years he's become a bit turgid. I haven't heard his last solo album "Anti-Depressant", but the one before that "Music In A Foreign Language" is just boring.

Used to be a big Cole fan back in the glory days of '98, but he's faded a bit now.

Rattlesnakes is a great album - I still listen to it from time to time:thumb: - lost him when he went solo, though :blushing:

:thumb: Lloyd Cole :thumb:

--jeniphir

Er.. I'm afraid not. I don't even like football. Over-paid prima donnas, the lot of 'em. ;) More a boxing fan myself.

The name's a reference to the origins of the Skinhead cult. It's used by old-school Skinheads to refer to the original spirit of the cult as opposed to the way it became associated with racist violence in the late 70s and 80s.

I'm not a Skinhead, but I'm interested in the history of the movement.

I'm also a huge boxing fan - grew up with Benn and Eubank and thought Joe Calzaghe was superb. I put the Lacy fight on sometimes when I'm down.

Can see Khan taking a hiding tonight - I always support British fighters but there's a sense of entitlement about him I can't stand.

Can't wait for Hatton-Pacman either. Ricky had better be in shape for this as it's the defining fight of his life.

Rattlesnakes is a great album - I still listen to it from time to time:thumb: - lost him when he went solo, though :blushing:

Anti-depressant is ok but not a patch on Love Story which is probably on a par with Rattlesnakes.

I'd be interested to see what people like about Easy Pieces - I just think Perfect Blue and Cut Me Down carry it. The other two albums have miles better tunes IMO but it's all subjective.

The fact Perfect Blue was never a single is tragic - great tune and love the 12-string guitar.

Back
Top Bottom