Live versions

Sister

Losing my edge
I somehow noticed that I prefer live versions of many Morrissey's songs to the album versions. Especially since I found this place and downloaded so many brilliant bootlegs. I probably listen to the bootlegs more than to the studio albums.
Live versions are more energetic and he kind of plays with his voice more. I love all those "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"!
For example, I don't really listen to the studio "Disappointed". Or "Our Frank".

Actually, I can't think of many other artists, who's live recordings I would enjoy more, than studio.

Is it normal or is it just me?

I do generally prefer live perfomances no matter who the artist is (as long as I like them) but Morrissey's are so much better than the studio efforts.

The only song to dissapoint me live so far was "Father Who Must Be Killed" which cam across really badly in London a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I think it's quite normal. I always listen to live recordings of my favorite artists, because they somehow express thing better. There are however some songs that i refuse to believe would be played brilliantly live. It would for instance take som effort to play Asleep live, and make me feel the same. But what do i know...

I'm going to get stoned for saying this, but 'Still Ill' never stood out that much for me as an album track, but the first time I heard it on 'Rank', I burst into tears haha :o

I think the 'Rank' version of 'What She Said' is perfect. And I love 'What She Said' as an album track. It's so doleful :D

And I'm currently loving the 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' version of 'Please, Please, Please...'.

As a total lover of all live natural music I totally agree that are moz sounds a totally different class when performing live to the masses and his witty comments between songs fill me with glee no-end

Back
Top Bottom