Live at Earl's Court is ridiculously good

Earl's Court had a decently varied set list, but I've never been all that hot on "Friday Mourning," "I Like You," or "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores," so they slow the flow down too much for me. The mix is also a little tinny and sharp, to my ear. And Dean's drums sound much flatter in comparison to Who Put The M.

Beethoven benefited from being mixed by Bob Clearmountain. The guitar tandem of Whyte and Boorer never sounded better live and the mix aurally felt like being at a concert. The preponderance of Arsenal songs doesn't feel top-heavy because some of the arrangement are much better (e.g., "Fatty," "Certain People"). But it serves more as a "snapshot" of the tour rather than a live retrospective. I think both releases had very different intentions in mind.

Earl's Court had a decently varied set list, but I've never been all that hot on "Friday Mourning," "I Like You," or "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores," so they slow the flow down too much for me.

I agree 100% with this statement.

I would personally say that Live at Earls Court is my favourite of the two live albums. A better selection of songs, including several of The Smiths classics, and the addition of a keyboard player boosted the sound.

Beethoven was Deaf is enjoyable too though. Particularly for the superior versions of the likes of 'The Loop' and 'Jack the Ripper'. Nine songs from Your Arsenal was pushing it though...
Yes it's basically a live rendition of Your Arsenal released straight after Your Arsenal which is, um...

I do love it for the art work and what a title!

Just placed an order. It's out of print here in the states but not hard to find. In fact all of his CDs are easy to find and disturbingly cheap. What about DVDs? I have "25 Live" and "Who Put The M In Manchester". I also have the bonus DVD on "Your Arsenal", which is VHS quality if you ask me. Which DVD should I get next?
If you can manage it please don't watch Introducing Morrissey on youtube. You're already watching a Live gig on a screen. Youtube is not going to do you any favours.

Live 25 is good but not great as I find live concerts filmed in small venues a little lack lustre. The small venue doesn't translate very well on the small screen. Who Put The M... is fantastic, especially with great sound and a big screen, plus the extras are so good with the 4 songs at the Move festival with Mr. Bean on guitar.

According to Passions website, Live From Earls Court was most definitely "tampered"...

"As the title suggests, the live album "Live From Earls Court", released by Morrissey in March/April 2005, was recorded at London's Earls Court on 18 December 2004. However, although it features mainly this date, when Morrissey's vocals were not the best the recording was patched with segments from other British dates from the same leg of the tour (Glasgow, Birmingham, Brighton and Dublin). Similarly, the chit-chat with fans in the front rows, a few biting comments and the allusions to the upcoming Christmas holiday were dropped or replaced with banter from those other dates. Some songs such as "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" were also slightly sped up."

Another point to consider when comparing the two live albums is that Beethoven is not a complete show. Even though it was compiled from two shows it's missing 3 songs from the main Paris show (Tomorrow, Alsatian Cousin and Playboys).

According to Passions website, Live From Earls Court was most definitely "tampered"...

"As the title suggests, the live album "Live From Earls Court", released by Morrissey in March/April 2005, was recorded at London's Earls Court on 18 December 2004. However, although it features mainly this date, when Morrissey's vocals were not the best the recording was patched with segments from other British dates from the same leg of the tour (Glasgow, Birmingham, Brighton and Dublin). Similarly, the chit-chat with fans in the front rows, a few biting comments and the allusions to the upcoming Christmas holiday were dropped or replaced with banter from those other dates. Some songs such as "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" were also slightly sped up."

Another point to consider when comparing the two live albums is that Beethoven is not a complete show. Even though it was compiled from two shows it's missing 3 songs from the main Paris show (Tomorrow, Alsatian Cousin and Playboys).
What's the website's source for this information? Apart from the usual compiling of songs from various nights which is done on virtually all live albums the rest of it sounds like a crock.

What's the website's source for this information? Apart from the usual compiling of songs from various nights which is done on virtually all live albums the rest of it sounds like a crock.

Well even if true I don't care. It's marvelous but how would this particular fan/website owner have this info when it doesn't seem to be anywhere else?

Well even if true I don't care. It's marvelous but how would this particular fan/website owner have this info when it doesn't seem to be anywhere else?
Right you are mate. It doesn't matter. You can get info anywhere, especially the kind that's made up. In all my years of listening to Morrissey I've never heard of this and may i say it's a strange thing to bring up as a comment on a thread talking about how great it is.

I can't take any of your comments seriously now, no wonder you think Kiss Me A Lot Is awesome, you mustve come into morrissey at the back end of his career. I mean, who hasnt heard beethoven was deaf, plastic fan.
I know! What business do I have listening to T Rex, or Velvet Underground?

I'll burn my record collection in shame...

I can't take any of your comments seriously now, no wonder you think Kiss Me A Lot Is awesome, you mustve come into morrissey at the back end of his career. I mean, who hasnt heard beethoven was deaf, plastic fan.
Having a bad day were we?

OK so listened to Beethoven Was Deaf and it was quite good...but I prefer Earl's Court...but that is partially due to me liking the setlist more. Ok, well, now you can sleep well tonight knowing my opinion.

I'm not sure exactly about how true it is that Morrissey's vocals on 'Live at Earl's Court' may have had some patch-up lines flown in from other recordings - I wouldn't be surprised as that sort of stuff goes on all the time - frankly I haven't the energy to a line by line bootleg recording of the actual show with the official release.

Just from my memories of attending the gig, I know for sure they cut some of the between songs banter - including Morrissey slagging off the rest of the Smiths before he covered one of the band's songs: "In my life I was once associated with three incredibly miserable people... however, some decent songs though..."

I guess on sober reflection he decided he didn't want his bitching preserved on the LP.

I'm not sure exactly about how true it is that Morrissey's vocals on 'Live at Earl's Court' may have had some patch-up lines flown in from other recordings - I wouldn't be surprised as that sort of stuff goes on all the time - frankly I haven't the energy to a line by line bootleg recording of the actual show with the official release.

Just from my memories of attending the gig, I know for sure they cut some of the between songs banter - including Morrissey slagging off the rest of the Smiths before he covered one of the band's songs: "In my life I was once associated with three incredibly miserable people... however, some decent songs though..."

I guess on sober reflection he decided he didn't want his bitching preserved on the LP.
That line is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

No, didn't he state in his autobiography that the record company cut some of the banter without his agreement?

No, didn't he state in his autobiography that the record company cut some of the banter without his agreement?
It often happens when people guess. Sounds like an excuse for me to have another read.

It often happens when people guess. Sounds like an excuse for me to have another read.

To quote from page 389:

'The Earls Court night becomes a live album, but I hemorrhage rage when I hear a shop bought copy and discover that all of my between-song yatter has been cut out. "It was for your own good," says a sanctimonious Sanctuary voice with all the gentle understanding of a village vicar snipping roses. My stack is blown. Censored by one's own record label!'

I actually prefer vocal overdubs or fixes over a poor vocal as long as the "new vocal" isn't pulled from another released recording/performance. I wouldn't care if Moz sang the whole album in the studio as long it is new material. Ok that's a bit much but life is too short to listen to subpar performances for the sake of authenticity.

I actually prefer vocal overdubs or fixes over a poor vocal as long as the "new vocal" isn't pulled from another released recording/performance. I wouldn't care if Moz sang the whole album in the studio as long it is new material. Ok that's a bit much but life is too short to listen to subpar performances for the sake of authenticity.
There's no evidence this happened anyway. And if it actually did I'd say he had no idea, but I highly doubt it did.

Back
Top Bottom