"List of the Lost" reviews in The Telegraph, The Independent; media mentions

An anonymous person posted the link (original post):Morrissey's novel: the verdict by Charlotte Runcie (1 of 5 stars) - The Telegraph
Excerpt:

But what struck me is just how little these atrocious sex scenes stand out. The rest of the novel is just as overwrought, just as nonsensical, just as poorly conceived, awkwardly expressed and lazily imagined.

Some of Morrissey’s sentences defy all understanding: ... “What makes wild bluebells wild? And could they ever be tamed?” ......“Electrons from me need electrons from you in order to become electrons”..“animals do not need money”.

Morrissey recently announced that the final performances of his current solo tour will be his last in the UK. This fuelled speculation that he is about to retire as a singer-songwriter for good, to focus on the written word. We must beg him to reconsider."

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Another largely negative newspaper review - this time from The Independent:

List of the Lost by Morrissey, first read: Debut novel is a leaden festival of self-pity by Adam Sherwin (2 of 5 stars) - The Independent

Uncleskinny posted the link (original post):

Death of 1000 Cuts slices and dices Morrissey's List of the Lost - The List
Tim Clare casts his eye over Morrissey’s debut novel to explain all the poor reviews

An anonymous person posts (original post):

Another savage review from The Telegraph:

I love Morrissey, but his novel List of the Lost is woeful by Michael Deacon - The Telegraph
As a fan, I feel bad criticising it. So I'll quote from it instead

"The worst novel I’ve ever read...

The prose is a relentless thumping migraine of alliteration, assonance and rhyme. “Plungingly plump parents laugh loudly.” I suppose it’s meant to sound like James Joyce, but ultimately it’s more like a 40,000-word tongue-twister. And as for the sex... for years Morrissey claimed to be celibate. Now I’ve read his sex scenes, I believe him. They’re laughable."

I have never seen this many bad reviews for a book. Will this get a single half-decent newspaper review? It's not looking likely, at this stage!

UPDATE 10:00 AM PT:

Links posted in the comments:

Don't give up the day job, Morrissey! Singer's first novel is 'obvious frontrunner' for this year's Bad Sex In Fiction prize, say award organisers - Daily Mail. Link posted by an anonymous person.

Morrissey Has an Exceptionally Weird Term for "Boner" - Fuse. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darling? Oh do f*** off.

Two replies. One time ΅shit΅ explaining a book, next time ΅Do f*** Off΅ replying to a message from a person you do not know.
Anyone can be unkind to another but the way he is shows his rank, i suppose...
Really very elastic vocabulary! Congratulations darling... You must be a critic eh? If you are not it is really a waste.
That is the best you can do.

What's the story morning bulbous salutation yeahhhhhhh !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Is there some sort of unwritten rule that Steven's staunchest defenders must also ape his airy-fairy snootier than thou writing style while defending him, but not before dialling up the f*****ry levels by a factor of at least 10? It sure seems like it.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule that Steven's staunchest defenders must also ape his airy-fairy snootier than thou writing style while defending him, but not before dialling up the f*****ry levels by a factor of at least 10? It sure seems like it.

why do you care about how they talk

You are talking about the quality of being or not being scurillous or filthy. It sure seems like it and yes you are too much right!

of course there is. you wont find any macho men amongst them.

Someone's going to have to start touring the UK again.

This is the last song I will ever sing.

Oh - I've changed my mind again.

Goodnight.

You're lying AGAIN. Why? Why are you doing it? You haven't got it, you haven't read it. You are truly mad.

well,
Something I learned today
Never look straight in the sun's rays
Letting all the sunshine in
Can't remember where I've been
still,
riviera is nice, share some greased tea with me?

well,
Something I learned today
Never look straight in the sun's rays
Letting all the sunshine in
Can't remember where I've been
still,
riviera is nice, share some greased tea with me?

One thing I've learned is that you're STILL a lying f***wit.

Still, I love Morrissey, He hates you. Who's winning...

I love Morrissey too and am really happy for him. He seems so happy this tour and more at ease. His writing style is unique and interesting. Uncle skinny you never explained your enormous hate for Morrissey.

I love Morrissey too and am really happy for him. He seems so happy this tour and more at ease. His writing style is unique and interesting. Uncle skinny you never explained your enormous hate for Morrissey.

Dear Lady, nice words from you. (leave uncle - Msolow Staatspolizei - skinny alone). It is the exquisites who are important, like Morrissey.
LIST OF THE LOST - exquisite book.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom