"List of the Lost" review in The Daily Mail

about what i expect from the daily mail. most good books you need to reread. to use a non classic, the pregnant widow was a very difficult read for me and i dont believe you could absorb it on first try but its still excellent even though its intentionally difficult and at times and purposely looses the reader with non movement in the plot. at times he critiques novels by geography saying nothing happens in russian novels, only in american ones is there lots of action and plot movment. he commented on brittish novels in the book as well regarding plot movement but i cant remember at the moment what he said. he also does this in money also published by peguin where he has the character go into a bar where another main character is and has them not interact nor does he have anything worthwhile happen. he has the narrator say why should something always be happening though that book as he deliberately tried to defy reader expectations for entertainment which i thought was very cool and very modernist. in lionel asbo, the inverse of the book money, he has sections that read, nothing important happened in these years which i also found intriguing. id kinda like to see some reviews that are actually from sources dedicated to literature and not from music magazines or newspapers. has anyone seen some of those if they exist

Excerpt:
‘The dense and insensible Dean Isaac spun further black magic, with his carefully orchestrated retirement plans walloped across local newspapers, bearing witless bylines accompanying excited shots of Isaac infatuated with his own reflection as he wore his coat on his shoulders in cloak fashion and waving confidently to the world beyond the lens that made flesh and then created truth, and into which the entire universe peered back from the other side — with no voice.’

Now I found that excerpt easy to read and my imagination was flowing. I pictured it all, but then again I am an artist too, so maybe I have the advantage over others to love this writing style.

Last edited:
How's the book doing in the charts ? Have we got the coveted number one slot yet ?
There's some great reviews on Amazon UK.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I remember Quentin Letts unwarranted comments regarding the brilliant Nick Hytner at the NT. It was at that point I I knew he knew nothing about good theatre (his reviews are pompous drivel) Now I know he doesn't know good writing either.

about what i expect from the daily mail. most good books you need to reread. to use a non classic, the pregnant widow was a very difficult read for me and i dont believe you could absorb it on first try but its still excellent even though its intentionally difficult and at times and purposely looses the reader with non movement in the plot. at times he critiques novels by geography saying nothing happens in russian novels, only in american ones is there lots of action and plot movment. he commented on brittish novels in the book as well regarding plot movement but i cant remember at the moment what he said. he also does this in money also published by peguin where he has the character go into a bar where another main character is and has them not interact nor does he have anything worthwhile happen. he has the narrator say why should something always be happening though that book as he deliberately tried to defy reader expectations for entertainment which i thought was very cool and very modernist. in lionel asbo, the inverse of the book money, he has sections that read, nothing important happened in these years which i also found intriguing. id kinda like to see some reviews that are actually from sources dedicated to literature and not from music magazines or newspapers. has anyone seen some of those if they exist

Jesus. Not as difficult to read as your uncapitalised unpunctuated mess.

The best reaction I've read states there's a part of my head which really wants to read this book. Fortunately the rest of it doesn't.

Jesus. Not as difficult to read as your uncapitalised unpunctuated mess.

Don't read them then and spare yourself the trouble and effort it seems to take you. What can I say except that I love writing wroting . also if you see any post of mine with capitalization its because I'm on a phone and being auto corrected

How's the book doing in the charts ? Have we got the coveted number one slot yet ?
There's some great reviews on Amazon UK.

its down to no 41 and sinking.
i wonder if moz will comment how great its selling two years from now. it bombed.

"pop hero pseudo artistry"

What a heap of steaming shit. Especially rich coming from the DM and their relentless promotion of authentic talents such as the TOWIE cast etc.

A review worthy of the publication.

it was in the 35 yesterday dipped to 41 today. all is lost. no more uk shows only shows where they cant read english.

It actually sounds like it could be adapted into a good movie. Just take the general story skeleton and shape it a little, let the actors flesh things out, in full 70s U.S. post-hippie, proto-glam drag. Sort of like "Breaking Away" meets "Macbeth". Morrissey should just contact his distant relative, Danny Boyle.

it was in the 35 yesterday dipped to 41 today. all is lost. no more uk shows only shows where they cant read english.

Guardian's reviewer

Guardian's reviewer.jpg
Star Wannabe.

Last edited:
Who was the great writer who said, "If critics say your work stinks it's because they want it to stink and they can make it stink by scaring you into conformity with their comfortable little standards. Standards Solow that they can no longer be considered "dangerous" but set in place in their compartMental understanding".

its wasnt a very objective review but his looks have nothing to do with my dislike of it. as petty to attack him about it as it was to attack moz though his unobjective review

So, the Daily Mail chooses to have the book reviewed not by a book critic, but by a veteran media iconoclast who lists "character defenestration" as one of his hobbies on his Facebook profile. I wonder why. Then there's the Daily Beast and Guardian blogposts, both of whom are worthless as pieces of literary criticism but gets quoted over and over, by news sources whose sole coverage is to refer the trouncings handed out elsewhere. Plus reviews in NME and The Quietus, neither of whom are normally associated with interesting writing on literature. Leaving us essentially with one very scathing review in the Guardian, and a fairly positive one in The Times.

Fascinating to follow how the media response develops. I wonder if it's always this bad, and this stupid - a spin that gets developed in the first few hours, and then mostly just recirculated (as by Independent) or elaborated upon (as by the Daily Mail).

I'm still not sure what to make of this book. It's a mouthful. I do just a handful of pages a day, partly because I don't have a lot of time, but mainly because that's what feels right. For me it needs time to gel, and it does, substantially.

Some elements do not work well - notably his rants on familiar subjects, which too often seem badly integrated and superfluous. Perhaps because his strong views are already overly familiar, but he ought to have taken that into consideration before putting them so directly in a novel. Also, in part they are frankly less than interesting because they express strong and uncompromising opinions about things he plainly doesn't understand much about, which is not so much provocative as boring and irritating. Some of his ideas are just too simple to be appealing or interesting when stated directly, such as his soliloquy on Churchill.

Other elements lodges themselves powerfully though. The Wretch struck me as a forceful representation of Morrissey's own self-image, if one chooses to see him that way "Oh see how words as old as sin/fits me like a glove". The sparse and snappy dialogues puts me in mind of kitchen-sink drama - they are quite cinematic, tells the story and defines the characters in much the same way. They work on that level, provided you accept that there doesn't really seem to be any very differentiated characters, they all seem to represent the same collective entity. Perhaps they'll acquire more individuality as they die, each in their own way.

Personally I think the "overwrought hyperbolic prose" criticism is pretty much irrelevant. Firstly, as The Times points out, what would you expect? This is a person who put, in an upbeat two-minute pop song, the words" Spending warm summer days indoors/writing frightening verse/to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg", to say nothing of "But fresh-lilaced moorland fields/cannot hide the stolid stench of death". It's not an endearing style to many, but it is a potentially viable one. If done well, which of course is the issue, but it is hard to escape the feeling that more than a few of these critics have not really tried to tell. For my part, I don't think he always pulls it off, but I also think it provides many of the best moments in the book, and overall I do not think it is something that detracts from the value of the book, although a good editor might have turned it to a forte. But then I'm rather partial to flowery language.

The focus on the sex scenes is even more ridiculous. If Morrissey had written convincingly, realistically and economically about the sexual act, I would have been utterly amazed. It seems entirely appropriate, both to him and to the book, that he is unable to.

The main question I have is whether it all comes together as a whole or not. If it does, then flowery, ornate prose and other shortcomings will not fundamentally matter. If it doesn't, then it's a failure.

So far - powerful, messy, uncompromising, certainly imperfect and occasionally arguably inept.

Last edited:
Who was the great writer who said, "If critics say your work stinks it's because they want it to stink and they can make it stink by scaring you into conformity with their comfortable little standards. Standards Solow that they can no longer be considered "dangerous" but set in place in their compartMental understanding".

Right ! So there really are dark forces plotting against Steven I guess after all.
Bloody hell this is scary stuff isn't it ? They won't rest until his loving mouth is shut good and proper forever, I wonder how they plan on taking him out ? Put him in a suitcase ! Tunnel crash ! Polonium tea with coconut milk !

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom