"List of the Lost" enters UK Paperback Fiction charts at #3 - The Times

LIST OF THE LOST:
UK charts at Number 3! GREAT!

times_bestsellers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a 'List' actually feature? I didn't notice it..

Well there is no such thing as bad publicity I suppose. And it did get quite a bit of attention. So.

Besides it's message. Is it really badly written ? I've never read it. Now if Hitler only passed the entrance exams to art school...How different this world's history would be. Sorry, I'm babbling.

he secretly wrote boys from brazil. its a conspiracy, pass it on

You people know that this does not mean the book is good. Half of the buyers are moz fans and the other half wants to see how bad it is.

I don't need to repeat what people who are paid to review books think. It is the refuge of the blinkered acolyte to say "I don't care what ALL the critics say, it's what I say that matters", the metacriticism means nothing to them. Heaven forfend that the vast body of critique shatters your image of someone you've so heavily invested in, both emotionally and financially, because after all, you're the fool then, right? You are shown up. Your bubble is burst, and you don't like it. I get that.

Personally, I get that some people like it, and some people don't. I don't care whether you do or not, but is it asking too much for you to actually be honest with your own feelings? I have seen people on here who knew they were going to say it was good, even when they manifestly could tell it was not, just to maintain the integrity of their bubble. That's not honesty, that's blindness. I am saying to you, be honest with yourself. If I thought it was great I would have said so. As would all the critics paid to review books. They didn't. You did. So the question I am asking you is this - are they all wrong, and you right, and if so, for what reasons? Because you can't stand the fact you might not like something, because you are so blinded by adoration that you feel you have to say you like it, or, is everyone else wrong, and you are right? That's why I asked for the links, because I want to see some evidence of this. At the moment, the balance is hugely unfavourable, and I'm asking you to redress it.

Despite what you or others might think, I do not hate Morrissey, I think he has been a genius, but his powers have faded. At the end of the day, he's just a bloke. I wish some people on here could be honest with themselves. And I don't think some will ever be.

What do you think of people who know other people's secret thoughts and motivations better than they do themselves? This is an interesting, well... somewhat, little glimpse into The Way You Think.
What I find really curious is that you're aware people feel you have expressed a hatred for Morrissey, but that you know your own feelings, despite what must reasonably be called evidence to the contrary. Even though a number of others feel this way, you know yourself better than they do. That seems reasonable, whether it's true or not. But not only do you know yourself despite what others may feel, you also know others despite what they claim to feel.

AND to cap it off, you're asking for positive reviews, because you seem to feel that if they existed, they would in some way be relevant. I'd speculate that you feel that the metacritical analysis has some validity. Unless of course it applies to you, in which case their is only one valid opinion.

Bonus points for the bit about being so invested in someone that finding out the horrible truth about them makes you a fool. I think this is the reason you and others, including myself at times, sometimes feel, as Johnny Rotten famously put it, that you've been had. You and David very clearly have strong personal feelings about Morrissey. A lot of time invested. Now be honest with yourself for one minute and ask why you do this unpaid job moderating a board dedicated to someone who is 'just a bloke.' Be honest about your own feelings. Whether you did it intentionally to be clever, or it was a 'Freudian slip' you called him a has been, 'has been a genius,' while stating your lack of ill will towards him. But again, YOU know your own feelings and motivations as well as those of everyone else. btw, this does not really sound very atheist or scientific, but actually quite mystical. Do you determine other people's thoughts and motivations through some sort of reasoning? Do you just know?

Could someone just put the dirty parts in some kind of download? It has sex, right? I think we should have a contest and see if it's possible to wank to it.

Is this a national UK book chart, or just the Observer one? I'm struggling to find this chart online...

Well there is no such thing as bad publicity I suppose. And it did get quite a bit of attention. So.

And let's not forget that most of the loyal fanbase (= us) bought the book on pre-order, when all we knew about its contents were Morrissey's "beware the novelist" ramble and the "blue sky" quote. All of these pre-orders are in this first-week entry. Wondering if the book will fare as well next week, probably not I'm afraid. Bit like his singles -- snapped up in their first week by the devoted, then ignored by the general buying public and out of the charts by week 3.

Last edited:
"... the humptyhillhead of humself promptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptyturntoes ..."

"... the humptyhillhead of humself promptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptyturntoes ..."

and all to no avsnail as the unquiring one prefers B...

The unfairness of it all!

Does a 'List' actually feature? I didn't notice it..

Nope. But he needed something else that started with a 'L', so he could use alliteration.

Working titles included:

Lift of the Lost
Lube of the Lost
Languid Lies of the Lost
Lucky Lisp of the Lost
Ludicrously Leaden Lumpen Prose of the Lost
Lard-arses of the Lost

Perhaps after reading the reader is expected to take what they've read apply there own values and make a list of what was lostlost in there eyes

I don't need to repeat what people who are paid to review books think. It is the refuge of the blinkered acolyte to say "I don't care what ALL the critics say, it's what I say that matters", the metacriticism means nothing to them. Heaven forfend that the vast body of critique shatters your image of someone you've so heavily invested in, both emotionally and financially, because after all, you're the fool then, right? You are shown up. Your bubble is burst, and you don't like it. I get that.

Personally, I get that some people like it, and some people don't. I don't care whether you do or not, but is it asking too much for you to actually be honest with your own feelings? I have seen people on here who knew they were going to say it was good, even when they manifestly could tell it was not, just to maintain the integrity of their bubble. That's not honesty, that's blindness. I am saying to you, be honest with yourself. If I thought it was great I would have said so. As would all the critics paid to review books. They didn't. You did. So the question I am asking you is this - are they all wrong, and you right, and if so, for what reasons? Because you can't stand the fact you might not like something, because you are so blinded by adoration that you feel you have to say you like it, or, is everyone else wrong, and you are right? That's why I asked for the links, because I want to see some evidence of this. At the moment, the balance is hugely unfavourable, and I'm asking you to redress it.

Despite what you or others might think, I do not hate Morrissey, I think he has been a genius, but his powers have faded. At the end of the day, he's just a bloke. I wish some people on here could be honest with themselves. And I don't think some will ever be.

Lets enter into your world Peter shall we and lets say you are right (youre not), lets pretend for the sake of arguement that you have the clearist vision on the subject (you don't) and that you are honest with yourself and us about your feelings for Morrissey.

You say "I do not hate Morrissey, I think he has been a genius, but his powers have faded."

Lets think about that shall we, in your view Morrissey talent which no doubt once touched your life, inspired you, entertained you, comforted you and thrilled you has begun to fade, the once glowing coals are now flickering embers. Its a emotional moment isn't it, that realisation, there is something tragic about us all aging I suppose....about the passing of time.... Perhaps you could think in terms of an old loved dog on its last legs
What to do in such a situations. One option would be to gather round the embers and breathe on the gently so as to draw out the last of the heat and light, to snuggle up together and feel the benefit, the shared warmth of the community that had formed around this once bright sun. The talent may have faded but there will still be moments of magic to enjoy, surges and gusts, maybe less than before but still.....but still....but still....there is room for kindness and love here. The talent may have faded but the love (the love of the song) is still there for Morrissey himself certainly. Perhaps we could even indulge him a little, a little thank you in return for the comfort he has provided as the light fades, as he passes to memory a goodbye kiss on the cheek, or even full on the mouth, why ever not. Goodbye old friend, time to rest your head, my darling my sweet.

The other option (one you have chosen) is to try and stamp out the fire as soon as you decide (and what is your opinion? - nothing) that it has started to fade, to piss on it and sneer while you are doing it and to say in a prickly voice "to let the fire burn out would wreck reputation of this once roaring fire. It seems a rather spiteful choice you've made on reflection. Especially if we are to believe you don't hate him. You think his talent is fading, but he hasn't killed anyone. Yes he's just a bloke (that we always knew) but you can still be kind to him Peter.

Here is the real truth Peter served up nice and cold and clear. You love you The Smiths don't you, but you missed your chance, to touch them and to hear them and you can't ever forgive yourself or them. Many nights you have dreamed of how it must have felt, the roar of the crowd the energy, the band, THE BAND.

It consumes you that missed opportunity and for decades you've lived in hope. Hope that once glowed like coals and now flickers like embers. What or who is standing in the way of your dream? Who holds the key to your happiness. Old Morrissey aided by the continued success of him as a solo artist, if he remains successful (in your mind) A reunion is less likely. So you usher in failure and you welcome doom and gloom. You are hateful and mean spirited horrid and petty and relentlessly dull but you won't win because Morrissey is who he is and you are you and Peter its time you were honest with yourself and us about your feelings for Morrissey.

Shout it from the roof tops

Your friend
Smiler

Lets enter into your world Peter shall we and lets say you are right (youre not), lets pretend for the sake of arguement that you have the clearist vision on the subject (you don't) and that you are honest with yourself and us about your feelings for Morrissey.

You say "I do not hate Morrissey, I think he has been a genius, but his powers have faded."

Lets think about that shall we, in your view Morrissey talent which no doubt once touched your life, inspired you, entertained you, comforted you and thrilled you has begun to fade, the once glowing coals are now flickering embers. Its a emotional moment isn't it, that realisation, there is something tragic about us all aging I suppose....about the passing of time.... Perhaps you could think in terms of an old loved dog on its last legs
What to do in such a situations. One option would be to gather round the embers and breathe on the gently so as to draw out the last of the heat and light, to snuggle up together and feel the benefit, the shared warmth of the community that had formed around this once bright sun. The talent may have faded but there will still be moments of magic to enjoy, surges and gusts, maybe less than before but still.....but still....but still....there is room for kindness and love here. The talent may have faded but the love (the love of the song) is still there for Morrissey himself certainly. Perhaps we could even indulge him a little, a little thank you in return for the comfort he has provided as the light fades, as he passes to memory a goodbye kiss on the cheek, or even full on the mouth, why ever not. Goodbye old friend, time to rest your head, my darling my sweet.

The other option (one you have chosen) is to try and stamp out the fire as soon as you decide (and what is your opinion? - nothing) that it has started to fade, to piss on it and sneer while you are doing it and to say in a prickly voice "to let the fire burn out would wreck reputation of this once roaring fire. It seems a rather spiteful choice you've made on reflection. Especially if we are to believe you don't hate him. You think his talent is fading, but he hasn't killed anyone. Yes he's just a bloke (that we always knew) but you can still be kind to him Peter.

Here is the real truth Peter served up nice and cold and clear. You love you The Smiths don't you, but you missed your chance, to touch them and to hear them and you can't ever forgive yourself or them. Many nights you have dreamed of how it must have felt, the roar of the crowd the energy, the band, THE BAND.

It consumes you that missed opportunity and for decades you've lived in hope. Hope that once glowed like coals and now flickers like embers. What or who is standing in the way of your dream? Who holds the key to your happiness. Old Morrissey aided by the continued success of him as a solo artist, if he remains successful (in your mind) A reunion is less likely. So you usher in failure and you welcome doom and gloom. You are hateful and mean spirited horrid and petty and relentlessly dull but you won't win because Morrissey is who he is and you are you and Peter its time you were honest with yourself and us about your feelings for Morrissey.

Shout it from the roof tops

Your friend
Smiler

lmao calm down! is not that serious jsyk. God Morrissey fans can be so annoying sometimes

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom