List of Own Albums Morrissey's Most Proud Of

His top ten, in Morrissey's world, is here - http://www.true-to-you.net/ - with pictures!

OF WHICH I AM MOST PROUD
List from Morrissey

1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US
2 Ringleader of the tormentors (2006) #1 UK, #27 US
3 You are the quarry (2004) #2 UK, #11 US
4 Vauxhall and I (1994) #1 UK, #18 US
5 Strangeways, here we come (1987) #2 UK, #55 US
6 Rank (1988) #2 UK, #77 US
7 Louder than bombs (1987) #38 UK, #62 US
8 Bona drag (1990) #9 UK, #59 US
9 Southpaw grammar (1995) #4 UK, #66 US
10 Your arsenal (1992) #4 UK, #21 US

Last edited by a moderator:
"Viva Hate", is the ultimate Morrissey record. The Smiths are gone forever, song writing partnership broken, the world seemingly, won't listen. Yet brilliance and creativity will not be ceased. Truly, in the same vein of thought, The Smiths debut is in every way the signal post for 80's pop music and beyond. In both cases, these records are beyond perfection, beyond platinum ratings, and what follows is built upon these initial outpourings of sheer musical genius and super human accompisments. A very special mention of, " YOU Are The Quarry", must be made here. Like the prior two records, "Quarry" was made under special circumstances! Morrisseys glorious return to the stage!
How we still love, "Your Arsenal", "Strangeways", The Queen Is Deaf" and "Bona Drag". We can't rank each record against the next, as each is a moment of Morrisseys life, that we as friends were lucky to hear live, as Morrissey did in his time. Oh dear boy, you were past good in your time and we thank you kindly! always..... mollyn'david xox

You feel my presence everywhere, filling you up and guiding you, bringing life into your being and singing forth your name as the endless stream that Creation is, uniquely expressed as you. We are the same.

You feel my presence everywhere, filling you up and guiding you, bringing life into your being and singing forth your name as the endless stream that Creation is, uniquely expressed as you. We are the same.

So close yet so far away
Le petit prince
Pigalle red light
Right
How romantic
Just fantastic
Bird

southpaw was shit... how the hell could he leave off the queen is dead?

Oh dear boy, you were past good in your time and we thank you kindly! always..... mollyn'david xox

So true.

Sorry, but no list is complete without Meat Is Murder on it. And come on Moz, you play songs from it constantly live--it's the perfected album of your youth! And Southpaw is up there, but not with that alternate track listing.

What is the point of an anonymous giving there list of favourites? ludicrous exercise.

My List:

1. Vauxhaul & I
2. Bona Drag
3. You Are The Quarry
4. Strangeways, Here We Come
5. Louder Than Bombs
6. Viva Hate
7. Your Arsenal
8. Hatful of Hollow
9. Kill Uncle
10. Years of Refusal

How can you have a list of what he says he is most proud of?

It would, by definition, have to be the exact same list.

Mine:

1. Strangeways
2. Vauxhall
3. Viva Hate
4. Queen Is Dead
5. Meat is Murder
6. The Smiths
7. Your Arsenal
8. Kill Uncle
9. You are the Quarry
10. Ringleader

Excludes compilations, re-issues and repackaged!
@Mo639

Good God Almighty .

Now we know for certain his taste in his own music is as horrid as his taste in music in general.

Hey Mozzer.... This list-statement has an errie tone of sadness and ending to it. How can you rate your work, when your not quite finished? We say this, because the list of your fave gigs had a similar tone of good bye?!? I dunno. Your not going any where friend, save for the stage and RocknRoll Hall of Fame!
Ofcorse, the last 3 lps are stand outs from the rest. You have Boz Borer by your side Morrissey. Thanks Boz for your steadfast Taurean loyalty....Cheers all!

music can be a bit subjective, but words less so, and it seems he is indeed out of touch to pick the last 3 albums which are among the weakest lyrics he's ever written. part of the problem (and why the smiths albums are indisputably - does anyone really want to argue about this - better lyrically), is a young man, who is not yet exceedingly rich, who still can remember what it's like to be young and isolated, writes lyrics that mean something to him, that he must write, must express, and that also connect with an audience. a multi - millionaire older man write lyrics for different reasons, and many of his day to day concerns (lawyers, journalists, cash, judges etc) don't resonate or connect with anyone. they don't speak about anyone's life. many of the other lyrics off these albums, just seem samey, written as a product or brand, without any real passion. i mean hand in glove or throwing my arms around paris? you tell me which sounds more authentic?

hmm even though music is subjective, favoring the recent music of boz, alain, jesse over marr/street is probably a personal choice of morrisseys because it is more his baby now. but if we compare the current band to an ugly brain damaged baby (and i think we can), it is a baby that only morrissey could truly love.

All you people are the same. There is no one real on here. It is one person talking to himself and writing to themselves arguing and fighting and agreeing.
No exists here. Morrissey should have listed his 10 favorite fans instead here except wait he doesn’t have ten fans here.
Morrissey is so relieved the tour is over and he can peacefully hide under his bed in London and not have boz busily pulling him out telling him he has to perform. It never works until Morrissey has to yell from beneath the bed “Boz for the last time get those 15 pizza hut pizza out of your mouth when you talk to me as I can’t understand a word you say and the gravy out of your moth just rolled past me again”
No wonder Morrissey can’t get a record deal as how many will he sell given that there is one person on his fan site and they are too busy talking to themselves on here to go and buy it if it came out.
And I wish he had thanked his band in his message as I’ve always wanted to learn who they are.
Now Morrissey is busy relaxing and doesn’t have to get himself together to go on stage and sing 4 songs and can find a better use of those 18 minutes he spends on stage.
And he can sit instead and wish he had real fans on here who are not insane to worship him and most importantly buy his new cd that he’s not putting out.

Hmm, I don't know about Morrissey's list, seems unnecessarily contentious or worse, positive reinforcement. Surely these aren't the 10 albums he is most proud of. Oh well, we're all entitled to our opinions and Morrissey need not be reminded of this. I won't give my top 10 instead i shall shout out my love for Vauxhall and I, Viva Hate, and the very underrated Kill Uncle.

[afterall YATQ could be his most succesfull solo album, with touring, media exposure]

You really think Quarry was successful because of its content? More like Morrissey had been away for 7 years and everyone seemingly cared again. I agree with another poster in that it's got a couple good songs (Irish Blood, First of the Gang, Camden, Jesus) but the majority of it is weak.

music can be a bit subjective, but words less so, and it seems he is indeed out of touch to pick the last 3 albums which are among the weakest lyrics he's ever written. part of the problem (and why the smiths albums are indisputably - does anyone really want to argue about this - better lyrically), is a young man, who is not yet exceedingly rich, who still can remember what it's like to be young and isolated, writes lyrics that mean something to him, that he must write, must express, and that also connect with an audience. a multi - millionaire older man write lyrics for different reasons, and many of his day to day concerns (lawyers, journalists, cash, judges etc) don't resonate or connect with anyone. they don't speak about anyone's life. many of the other lyrics off these albums, just seem samey, written as a product or brand, without any real passion. i mean hand in glove or throwing my arms around paris? you tell me which sounds more authentic?

hmm even though music is subjective, favoring the recent music of boz, alain, jesse over marr/street is probably a personal choice of morrisseys because it is more his baby now. but if we compare the current band to an ugly brain damaged baby (and i think we can), it is a baby that only morrissey could truly love.

Very well said.

My List:

1. Vauxhaul & I
2. Bona Drag
3. You Are The Quarry
4. Strangeways, Here We Come
5. Louder Than Bombs
6. Viva Hate
7. Your Arsenal
8. Hatful of Hollow
9. Kill Uncle
10. Years of Refusal

An anonymous top ten. How enthralling.

He must be very,very bored to sit down and write a list of his own albums. Funny how Meat Is Murder is not in the list although He continues to sing 2 songs from it on the current tours?

And Rank? ryhmes with Wank.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom