List of Own Albums Morrissey's Most Proud Of

His top ten, in Morrissey's world, is here - http://www.true-to-you.net/ - with pictures!

OF WHICH I AM MOST PROUD
List from Morrissey

1 Years of refusal (2009) #3 UK, #11 US
2 Ringleader of the tormentors (2006) #1 UK, #27 US
3 You are the quarry (2004) #2 UK, #11 US
4 Vauxhall and I (1994) #1 UK, #18 US
5 Strangeways, here we come (1987) #2 UK, #55 US
6 Rank (1988) #2 UK, #77 US
7 Louder than bombs (1987) #38 UK, #62 US
8 Bona drag (1990) #9 UK, #59 US
9 Southpaw grammar (1995) #4 UK, #66 US
10 Your arsenal (1992) #4 UK, #21 US

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguing music taste is impossible.

But, I have to agree with the posters above about the excellence of Viva Hate as a solo album.
An extraordinary album, especially so soon after The Smiths demise.
Why Morrissey doesn't work with Stephen Street again; I'll never know.

1) Years of Refusal
2) Meat is Murder
3) Vauxhall and I
4) The Queen is Dead
5) Strangeways Here We Come
6) Your Arsenal
7) You Are the Quarry
8) Hatful of Hollow
9) Bona Drag
10) Viva Hate

You all have it wrong! Haha...

1. Vauxhall and I
2. Your Arsenal
3. The Queen is Dead
4. Southpaw Grammar (soooooo underrated and amazing)
5. Viva Hate
6. Meat is Murder
7. You are the Quarry
8. The Smiths
9. Kill Uncle
10. Maladjusted

- Ian Curtis -

interesting list, love the inclusion of Rank, Southpaw and Louder.

1 Strangeways, Here We Come 2 The Queen Is Dead 3 Hatful Of Hollow 4 Viva Hate 5 Meat Is Murder 6 Vauxhall & I 7 Louder Than Bombs 8 You Are The Quarry 9 The Smiths 10 No number ten.

1. The Queen is Dead
2. Strangeways, Here We Come
3. Hatful of Hollow
4. Vauxhall and I
5. Your Arsenal
6. You Are the Quarry
7. Rank
8. Ringleader of The Tormentors
9. The Smiths
10. Viva Hate

Great that you're all sharing your favourite ten Morrissey related albums ... erm...

But what might be interesting is to ask why has Morrissey done this? The lack of The Queen is Dead and Meat is Murder is astonishing, is it not?

It's surely telling, that he's chosen his last three albums as his last three. Is this a message to record labels? I'd say so, eh?

Can't believe Kill Uncle isn't at the top of the list - a hundred years from now, that's the record everyone will remember. Probably as important as "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis and "Blonde on Blonde" by Dylan.

Arguing music taste is impossible.

But, I have to agree with the posters above about the excellence of Viva Hate as a solo album.
An extraordinary album, especially so soon after The Smiths demise.
Why Morrissey doesn't work with Stephen Street again; I'll never know.

Because Moz didn't want to pay him. Just like many of the other people Moz 'won't' work with again.

I don't speak English very well, just to say: 'Years Of Refusal' No. 1???????????? WTF... Is the worst Morrissey album!!! It's so noisy, and not the best production, to me it sounds like a demo or something... 'Ringleador Of The Tormentors' is one of my favorites, is kind of noisy too, but it's a very good record, creative, the production was unique, and it's very beautiful, not like 'Years Of Refusal'... Also 'Southpaw Grammar' is kind of a noisy record, and not the best production (because Spencer sounds like he's doing wrong in some tracks), but is fresh and its a great album, I think. I really like 'Southpaw Grammar'. Obviously 'The Queen Is Dead' is a little better than 'Strangeways, Here We Come' because 'Strangeways...' sounds more like a Johnny Marr album... ¿You know what I mean? I don't know how to say that... But still a good one, Specially 'A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours', 'Girlfriend in a Coma', 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' and 'Paint a Vulgar Picture'.

'Years Of Refusal' it's ok but is not the best album. I like 'Black Cloud', 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris', 'All You Need is Me', 'When Last I Spoke to Carol' and 'You Were Good in Your Time', but again: NOT THE BEST FROM MORRISSEY!!!

I like ALL albums (Yes, even 'Kill Uncle') and to me 'Years Of Refusal' is the worst of all.

All albums are like 98% great songs, but Years Of Refusal is like 50%... so....................

Maybe in 20 years I will appreciate more that album.

You are the Quarry is the worst of the bunch! It's got two great singles in Irish Blood and First of the Gang...but the rest? Well, Camden and Jesus is pretty good but everything else is just filler.

morrissey is delusional and unable to be objective when it comes to his own releases. The above poster was correct that his last three releases we medicroe at best.

Possibly the most ludicrous comment ever posted on here (and that's saying something!). So you really think an artist should perceive his/her work in exactly the same way as an admirer? Utter nonsense. History is full of poets, authors and fine artists alike who have dismissed the interpretation and admiration of their work by critics and readers alike. By sheer definition an artist is not the same thing as a fan. That's not being delusional, it's just an entirely different perspective originating from an entirely different impetus. But hey, good to see the retards on this site are never missing an opportunity to knock Morrissey. Why do you come here?

Oh, and as for your remark about what true fans consider the best work, well I'm afraid you don't speak for me: personally I think Viva Hate is the weakest album Morrisey has ever put out. But then that's the whole point of art - it's about individual subjective responses, not objective facts, lists and statistics.

I became a Morrissey fan with You Are The Quarry, and I rarely listen to The Smiths. Years of Refusal is a great rock record. I never get tired of listening to it.

1meat is murder.

2vauxhall&I.

3Hatfull of Hollow.

4You are the Quarry.

5Years of Refusal.

6Viva Hate.

7Beethoven was deaf.

8 the Queen is dead.

9Rank.

10Kill Uncle.

bubbling under 3

11 Strangeways here we come.

12 Bona Drag [original]

13Your Arsenal

:guitar:

Last edited:
You are the Quarry is the worst of the bunch! It's got two great singles in Irish Blood and First of the Gang...but the rest? Well, Camden and Jesus is pretty good but everything else is just filler.

the world is full of crashing bores [a live peleaser at the time, but dropped past 2tours]

Let me kiss you [on the setlist most of the times, this years tour]

I have forgiven Jesus [1 of the 5 singles taken from that album]

Come back to Camden is a classic

[afterall YATQ could be his most succesfull solo album, with touring, media exposure]

a happy Morrissey goodbye 2012, just waiting for his biography and that's it.

So you really think an artist should perceive his/her work in exactly the same way as an admirer? Utter nonsense. History is full of poets, authors and fine artists alike who have dismissed the interpretation and admiration of their work by critics and readers alike... That's not being delusional, it's just an entirely different perspective originating from an entirely different impetus. But hey, good to see the retards on this site are never missing an opportunity to knock Morrissey.

This. Though you go off the rails when discussing Viva Hate :)

But seriously, it's a good point. And I find most artists are most proud of their most recent work. One could say this is a marketing pose, but a less cynical way of looking at it is their most recent work is the one they are still most emotionally invested in, and most reflective of who they are now. It's like a current fling compared to a past, great love affair. Objectively the latter may be more important -- but the current affair is where all the emotional intensity is.

I'll stop now before I go off the rails :)

Possibly the most ludicrous comment ever posted on here (and that's saying something!). So you really think an artist should perceive his/her work in exactly the same way as an admirer? Utter nonsense. History is full of poets, authors and fine artists alike who have dismissed the interpretation and admiration of their work by critics and readers alike. By sheer definition an artist is not the same thing as a fan. That's not being delusional, it's just an entirely different perspective originating from an entirely different impetus. But hey, good to see the retards on this site are never missing an opportunity to knock Morrissey. Why do you come here?

Oh, and as for your remark about what true fans consider the best work, well I'm afraid you don't speak for me: personally I think Viva Hate is the weakest album Morrisey has ever put out. But then that's the whole point of art - it's about individual subjective responses, not objective facts, lists and statistics.

You make a valid point about how artists view their work differently compared to their audiences. It seems as though there are two types of fans who have voiced their thoughts here. First, the fan who prefers the music from the early years--which I am one of. My reasoning may have to do with how that music touched me as I grew up. Now that I am older, I don't feel the same connection to his recent work. Second, the fan who prefers his more recent material. Perhaps, these fans feel a connection that I do not. Either way, the negativity and bashing here is somewhat comical and sad--possible.

Part of the negativity does come from how Morrissey treats his fans--especially those who have been affected by a sudden cancellation. He could do something as simple and as caring as issue a statement. I don't think this is asking too much.

Good Day,

We'll Let You Know

there aint a smiths album worthy of the top five, the sooner you sad f***s grow up and open your eyes the better.
MOVE ON
he's grown up, his lyrics have grown up, his writing has soared light years ahead, yet a naive petulant noisy corner of his audience refuse to open the eyes and ears, or to simply dissapear into the past,

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom