List of discrepencies found in the new Autobigraphy

terrancestamp

Someone please tell Passions Just Like Mine that the Smiths played Atlanta according to Morrissey's new book. I have always remembered this show being cancel but Morrissey says in the book, "Having played in Atlanta we were then set to fly to Florida for the next show..."

I am sure Rogan will have a list of other issues so we can beat him to the punch. Or he will come on this site and just steal this list. Probably the later.

Last edited:
Not to be a stickler but the James and Easterhouse comments are unfair. The quote is that The Smiths can't get a Top 100 Billboard hit but James and Easterhouse do. The problem is that it is implied that they got a Top 100 during their tenor with Sire Records (not sure that Easterhouse ever got a release with Sire) and The Smiths did not. This is simply not the case. Both bands eventually got Top 100 hits but it was not with Sire and not until years later. The Smiths would have gotten a Top 100 if they had continue on as a band, I am sure of that.

The chronology in the book is sometimes plain wrong. After describing the Tour of the Tormentors Morrissey suddenly starts talking about concerts he gave 1997 (but as if they took place after 2006). Starting at page 404 he talks about a gig in New Brunswick (which actually took place on November 21st 1997), another one in Lowell (22nd November 1997), Buffalo (November 24th 1997); then he arrives in Gothenburg on December 1st (1997) with visitors to the coming gig listening to YATQ in their cars (according to Morrissey). Then follows visits to Helsinki and the Battersea Power Station. It all took place during the Maladjusted tour. The very strange chronology quite annoys me.

I don't like the way it just jumps from the release of Meat Is Murder and then onto The Queen Is Dead almost instantly. That period was their most important.

Already, in the second sentence of the book, Morrissey is twisting the facts. He claims that, during his childhood, there was "no sign of motorway, freeway or highway". But Morrissey spent the first part of his childhood in Hulme, which has a motorway, the Mancunian Way, running through it, about half a mile from where he lived. Construction started when he was three years old. The transport authorities in the UK almost always arrange for signage to be erected indicating that a motorway is nearby, so for Morrissey to say that he saw "no sign" is almost certainly misleading.

TO be fair, he doesn't state WHAT they played in Atlanta. Maybe it was golf? Or Twister?

Really?? He is talking about the tour and you put down he might be talking about playing golf or twister? Grasping for straws I see.

I've noticed that too, it's confused me a little that I have to re-read little bits!

No mention of the Gary Day incident when he was sacked and scratched a naughty word onto Morrissey's door! Disappointing.

Stanley the 2nd. You say that as if it is common knowledge. Who told you that story? Prey tell? And he scratched the word c*** on Morrissey's door and then Moz just happened to open the door while he was doing it!! He invited Gary in and they talked about it. I brought it up to Gary one time in Nashville and he was being a major dick as usual that night. Never liked Gary, he always thought too much of himself. Then Spencer went off the deep end traveling in a separate limo and stuff. He was crazy. Alain, Boz, Johnny B. were always amazingly cool.

Back
Top Bottom