List of bits of Smiths songs done during Speedway this tour

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
If this thread has already been created, my apologies.

Have we been keeping a list of them? Sydney got a bit of Reel Around The Fountain and Frankly, Mr. Shankly the next night.

I just saw one with a bit of Asleep in it.

Is there a list of the rest?

Bit of The Queen Is Dead during Maladjusted tonight apparently.

He did a bit of 'Girl Afraid' at one of the shows. Don't recall which one at the moment.

also reel around the fountain and i wont share you

maybe a few of these can find there way into the setlist, like 'that joke isn't funny anymore' has :cool:

Re: List of bits during Speedway

It's not a Smiths song, but at Hiroshima 27 April 2012, Morrissey quoted John Betjeman's The Last Laugh (many thanks to sweetness522 who helped me to find the source):

Now if the harvest is over,
And the world cold,
Give me the bonus of laughter,
As I lose hold.

I feel like this is his way of "getting all these songs in" (i.e., singing his lyrics to them one last time) without actually having to put them in the setlist and having to acknowledge Marr's musical contribution further than the hits.

I feel like this is his way of "getting all these songs in" (i.e., singing his lyrics to them one last time) without actually having to put them in the setlist and having to acknowledge Marr's musical contribution further than the hits.

I totally agree, just doing the first 30 seconds of these great classics doesn't do it justice, plus the band hardly have to play it, plonking out the same lazy Irish Blood, English Heart, First Of The Gang etc setlist.

A bit lazy yes, I still find this great, or at least keep me motivated to check here what happened the previous night, which the never chnaging set list did not really help with.

Anyway, I was about to start the same thread, and have started putting the list together. Any help to keep it updated / fill gaps will be much appreciated :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AixYh4X1LFlodFFoYTZmNm1WRFh3MElTay1INzdMTHc

This is so sweet. :p I wanted to say cute but it sounded dismissive and I don't mean that at all, it's just you guys are so organized, I kinda love it.

It's not a Smiths song, but at Hiroshima 27 April 2012, Morrissey quoted John Betjeman's The Last Laugh (many thanks to sweetness522 who helped me to find the source):

Now if the harvest is over,
And the world cold,
Give me the bonus of laughter,
As I lose hold.

Morrissey should stop denying the inevitable and get back with Betjeman. I’m not saying it should be a permanent arrangement or even an entire album. Just a one-off gig, maybe. Ever since he split with John, it’s been nothing but a depressing spiral of diminishing returns.

The stuff he did with Marr was okay but doesn’t even hint at the greatness he achieved working with Betjeman.

Any new ones?

Any new ones?

No, and I haven't seen much contribution so far. So I'll make it a bit simpler, the ones missing right now are :

14/12/2012 Wellington -*Town Hall
15/12/2012 Auckland -*Vector Arena
17/12/2012 Brisbane -*Convention Centre
11/01/2013 Brooklyn, NY -*Brooklyn Academy of Music
21/01/2013 Pittsburgh, PA -*Heinz Hall
22/01/2013 Columbus, OH -*LC Indoor Pavilion

No, and I haven't seen much contribution so far. So I'll make it a bit simpler, the ones missing right now are :

14/12/2012 Wellington -*Town Hall
15/12/2012 Auckland -*Vector Arena
17/12/2012 Brisbane -*Convention Centre
11/01/2013 Brooklyn, NY -*Brooklyn Academy of Music
21/01/2013 Pittsburgh, PA -*Heinz Hall
22/01/2013 Columbus, OH -*LC Indoor Pavilion

At Pittsburgh, he sang the chorus from "Mama Lay Softly On the Riverbed."

Exact quote:
Life is nothing much to lose; it's just so lonely here without you...Monday, Monday, Monday.

At the second Terminal 5 show in October he didn't sing any Smiths lyrics, but he did say something to the extent of "Some people are born for happiness, others for sorrow, but it doesn't matter very much because we will all be dead tomorrow."

I don't know if that's from anything and if so what it is from.

reminds me of something Tom in 500 days of Summer wrote on a greeting card when he went through his depressed phase.

At the second Terminal 5 show in October he didn't sing any Smiths lyrics, but he did say something to the extent of "Some people are born for happiness, others for sorrow, but it doesn't matter very much because we will all be dead tomorrow."

I don't know if that's from anything and if so what it is from.

OK, now that the tour has re-started I can carry on with my "quest". Unloveable yesterday. I have updated the file above. Any contribution welcome !

Back
Top Bottom