Linder on Morrissey in Guardian (18/01/2020)

A very nice interview with Linder Sterling in today’s The Guardian:

How the artist Linder went from Orgasm Addict to Chatsworth House - Observer Design

Excerpt:

She also became known as Morrissey’s muse and went on to photograph him extensively in the early 90s as he toured the US. “We shared the same taste, liked the same books,” she says. “We shared a house for a brief period in Whalley Range – it was a red-light district then.” With his counterintuitive views on the far-right For Britain party, Morrissey is a touchy subject these days, but Linder is loyal. “We’ve always disagreed,” she says. “It’s a healthy disagreement, the sort that comes with unconditional love.”

Just a shame about the unnecessary framing, The Guardian.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
This is off-topic - unless THE MIND OF MORRISSEY is a topic in every thread - but (mainly because I'm not a bloke) I didn't know Manchester United were called The Red Devils, that it was Busby who started it & that their logo has a trident.

Could the horror of THE PIN - be because he's fond of a trident? And didn't realise it would get that much coverage? He wore it twice then seemed to abandon it, while upping his lefty-ish badge quota (which got absolutely no coverage).

This is off-topic - unless THE MIND OF MORRISSEY is a topic in every thread - but (mainly because I'm not a bloke) I didn't know Manchester United were called The Red Devils, that it was Busby who started it & that their logo has a trident.

Could the horror of THE PIN - be because he's fond of a trident? And didn't realise it would get that much coverage? He wore it twice then seemed to abandon it, while upping his lefty-ish badge quota (which got absolutely no coverage).
Morrissey isn't, and has never been, right wing.

And never will be.

Just phoned Linder and she insists that off the record she agrees with Moz on everything.

I'm such a good friend that I'm posting up the gossip.
The problem with racists is that they call their prejudice bravery and think that they alone have the guts to say aloud 'what everyone else is thinking.' The fact that both and Ketamine find it so hard to believe that a lifelong friend of Morrissey's could disagree with his ignorant ramblings proves what a fragile little myopia you sycophants possess.

The problem with racists is that they call their prejudice bravery and think that they alone have the guts to say aloud 'what everyone else is thinking.' The fact that both and Ketamine find it so hard to believe that a lifelong friend of Morrissey's could disagree with his ignorant ramblings proves what a fragile little myopia you sycophants possess.
We're all lifelong friends of Morrissey. And furthermore, I would still admire and respect Morrissey even if he was racist.

Muhammad Ali, for example, was a racist. He declared that blacks and whites were different and should not live or pro-create together. He announced his views on TV and nobody in the least was bothered. In fact his fans across the world respected his opinion.

You're myopic if you don't realise how complex some political arguments have gotten - practically anyone can end up labeled a racist, sexist, homophobe or transphobe depending on the issue.

My social media is a raging battle right now over the Manchester Grooming Scandal report, with some left & right people saying fears about racism caused the cover-up & some other left & right people saying everyone who mentions ethnicity/religion in connection with it IS STILL a racist no matter what the report says.

(I expect you're just trolling, but hell, I like to get these things out there anyway).

We're all lifelong friends of Morrissey. And furthermore, I would still admire and respect Morrissey even if he was racist.

Muhammad Ali, for example, was a racist. He declared that blacks and whites were different and should not live or pro-create together. He announced his views on TV and nobody in the least was bothered. In fact his fans across the world respected his opinion.
No, you're not a lifelong friend of Morrissey. You're a fan, as much as you'd like to imagine that the bond is somehow deeper. The fact that you'd even attempt to genuinely make this argument shows how detached from reality you are.

No, you're not a lifelong friend of Morrissey. You're a fan, as much as you'd like to imagine that the bond is somehow deeper. The fact that you'd even attempt to genuinely make this argument shows how detached from reality you are.

I wasn’t making an argument.

I’m a lover.

Not a hater.

No, you're not a lifelong friend of Morrissey. You're a fan, as much as you'd like to imagine that the bond is somehow deeper. The fact that you'd even attempt to genuinely make this argument shows how detached from reality you are,.
If somebody doesn't like black people, for example, who am I to preach to them on the wonders of diversity?

I couldn't care less if Morrissey (or indeed anybody) is a racist. It's their free choice, their opinion. There are plenty blacks out there who like to blame their bad day on whitey. That's their prerogative as far as I'm concerned. The whole concept of racism is losing its steam. As almost anyone can now so easily be cast as a racist for a myriad of random reasons it is ceasing to hold the same power as when it actually meant real discrimination.

And being a fan of Morrissey makes him my lifelong and most important friend despite how you choose to interpret this.

You're myopic if you don't realise how complex some political arguments have gotten - practically anyone can end up labeled a racist, sexist, homophobe or transphobe depending on the issue.

My social media is a raging battle right now over the Manchester Grooming Scandal report, with some left & right people saying fears about racism caused the cover-up & some other left & right people saying everyone who mentions ethnicity/religion in connection with it IS STILL a racist no matter what the report says.

(I expect you're just trolling, but hell, I like to get these things out there anyway).
What about my posts would suggest I'm trolling? I've been a fan of Morrissey for decades and I don't let accusations of his racism (whether one would consider them valid or overblown is beside the point) necessarily sway my opinion of him. I've always found him to be a little ignorant on the topic of race, but that doesn't alter the emotional connection I have to his best work. What's turned me off of Morrissey in the past few years is his indefensibly bad recorded output, his dull setlists and his insistence on doubling-down on his ignorance, self-pity, dull-as-f*** war with the press and so on. Flirting with 'controversial views' as a press tactic works a lot better when you've got the artistic brilliance to sort of balance it out and complicate things. Unfortunately for Moz, he hasn't really written a good song since about 2004.

In any case, I have more of an issue with Morrissey's sycophantic fans than I do with the man himself.

Yeah - I'd probably love him unconditionally now if it came to it. But, obvs, I'd rather it didn't come to it.

I'm sure Muhammad Ali must have got some flack??? Although, the 1970s was packed full of headbangers from what I can work out. Quicker to name who wasn't in some antagonistic political or religious cult.

M
What about my posts would suggest I'm trolling? I've been a fan of Morrissey for decades and I don't let accusations of his racism (whether one would consider them valid or overblown is beside the point) necessarily sway my opinion of him. I've always found him to be a little ignorant on the topic of race, but that doesn't alter the emotional connection I have to his best work. What's turned me off of Morrissey in the past few years is his indefensibly bad recorded output, his dull setlists and his insistence on doubling-down on his ignorance, self-pity, dull-as-f*** war with the press and so on. Flirting with 'controversial views' as a press tactic works a lot better when you've got the artistic brilliance to sort of balance it out and complicate things. Unfortunately for Moz, he hasn't really written a good song since about 2004.

In any case, I have more of an issue with Morrissey's sycophantic fans than I do with the man himself.
Morrissey is never going to release Smiths-style singles anymore. That's been done. He's a mature artist now. Check out some of Scott Walker's later stuff and you'll feel grateful.

M

Morrissey is never going to release Smiths-style singles anymore. That's been done. He's a mature artist now. Check out some of Scott Walker's later stuff and you'll feel grateful.
I prefer Morrissey's solo work to the Smiths, actually. Still doesn't change my opinion.

I'm sorry, but you can't be friends with someone who doesn't know you exist. I feel genuinely sad for you.
Call me romantic or mad but that's actually the way I like it. Meeting my best friend in the flesh would ruin everything.

Yeah - I'd probably love him unconditionally now if it came to it. But, obvs, I'd rather it didn't come to it.

I'm sure Muhammad Ali must have got some flack??? Although, the 1970s was packed full of headbangers from what I can work out. Quicker to name who wasn't in some antagonistic political or religious cult.
People and the media never give blacks hassle for their opinions. It is only whites who get that.

Reverse the Jussie Smollett situation with a white man and he would be serving a long sentence in prison for race hate.

Back
Top Bottom