Lily Allen takes on the NME!

Maurice E

Well in all my years as an NME reader, I've never seen a huge critically and commercially successful artist (at their peak) take a direct swipe at the NME, especially not a personal attack on the editor!
Moz and NME have had a rocky relatinship, to say the least, since the late 80's but things have been a bit frosty between them in recent months. In the issue that Lily Allen mentions below, NME has deemed Morrissey to be no longer cool in the 'had it lost it' section.
Whether you like her or not, it's quite a brave thing for her to do this. One of the many smug NME journalists recently claimed that in a battle between a singer/group and the music press, the press always wins.
'You can still rock a crowd when you're wearing stilettos' is quite possibly one of the most patronising thigns I've ever read!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The ever outspoken Lily Allen has taken aim a British music rag NME, labelling them "sexist".

Allen was angry that the magazine reneged on a promise to feature herself and other female artists on the cover of the latest issue, choosing Muse instead. Allen was featured in NME's 'cool list', ranking third in a list dominated, perhaps ironically, by women.

Allen said on her infamous Myspace blog, "Now I don't care for the 'Cool List', and I said this to them in the interview, which is probably why they didn't print it. I don't really think the NME are in any position to tell us who is cool and who isn't; personally I don't think a bunch of people sitting in an office drinking tea, inventing musical genres, and watching Nathan Barley DVDs are leading any kind of cool brigade, do you? But I did find it interesting that they wanted to put five women on the cover, and wanted to name 2006 our year."

The 'cool list' was topped by Beth Ditto, an outspoken activist on the issues of feminism and sexuality. Still, it didn't stop editor Conor McNicholas saying, "you can still rock a crowd when you're wearing stilettos."

Allen took particular offence to this remark, writing, "I mean how f***ing patronising. Is that all we are, stiletto-wearing people? Is that all he could say, that we brought a 'new energy' to the music scene? Don't make me sick. We've always been here, you arrogant prick. This was your chance to actually show you meant it. And instead you put Muse on the cover, 'cause you thought that your readers might not buy a magazine with an overweight lesbian and a not-particularly-attractive-looking me on the front. Wankers.

"You should take your heads out of your New Rave arses, and actually think about your responsibilities to youth culture, and to women in general."

I used to read it quite often , but now i hate it . They seem to hail every new band 'The next big thing' and rarely give anything a bad review . I mean they gave friggin 'Rudebox' a good review !

Thier idea of music is Razorlight and Arctic Monkeys

the NME is shite and so is Ms Allen

And miss Allen wearing a bridal gown on stage was meant to be ignored I suppose, you can't win with these feminist types, whoops!

I like Lilly, if I had to date any quasi-chav it would be her..

nme is just a gossip rag for kids who think they're 'indie' and not into 'pop' music, therefore superior to the other kids in their year who like Sugababes. The mag's sole purpose in life seems to be to sell hair gel and convince us that Razorlight and MCR are in some way vital rock bands. There are no distinctive writers left, the whole mag sounds like it was written by some marketing committe. Agree with the comment above saying that everything gets a good review. Like Q magazine, nme is now just a brochure for the music industry. I just laughed when I saw the review for the new Robbie Williams album.

As for the cool list, it is entirely meaningless. In the past, half the entries were justified by their looks or clothing, which I assume is still the case. Entries for members of P!ATD & MCR seem puzzling, as these bands aren't even cool amongst their target demographic. If the list was done 10 years ago, there'd probably be entries for members of Shed Seven, Kula Skakur and Bluetones.

As for Morrissey's non inclusion, this matters not a jot. His appearance in the list following YATQ smacked of bandwagon-jumping, as did the albums semi-patrionising review. If Morrissey is cool, whatever that means, he is definitely not nme 'cool'.

lily allen's father is a pointless gimp. his daughter shouldn't be allowed to make records and the n.m.e. should be closed down, forthwith.

i still would, though

Don't mind Lily Allen but why do the NME champion that talentless fat horror from the Gossip?
I heard the Gossip without seeing the vocalist, I like em' Okay Lilly Allen is more fanciable in a rude girl kind of way, but talent not what I've seen.

Don't mind Lily Allen but why do the NME champion that talentless fat horror from the Gossip?

I saw the Gossip when they were supporting the Scissor Sisters and I have to say, as soon as she started singing I thought "Beth Ditto is hella cool". Live they had the most tremendous energy. So yeah, NME is pretty much a Smash Hits for the 'indie kids'...but if I were to write my own cool list for now, Beth would top it! :)

The Gossip are the best new band of the year. And when I heard that "Standing In The Way Of Control" was about same-sex marriages in the U.S. it just deepened my newfound love for them. Forget all the indie wank surrounding them, they're just a f***ing cracking band.

Allen said on her infamous Myspace blog, "Now I don't care for the 'Cool List', and I said this to them in the interview, which is probably why they didn't print it. I don't really think the NME are in any position to tell us who is cool and who isn't; personally I don't think a bunch of people sitting in an office drinking tea, inventing musical genres, and watching Nathan Barley DVDs are leading any kind of cool brigade, do you?
The only people who are more pathetic than those who make the 'cool' lists are those who need to be told by someone else what is supposed to be cool.

But in this case, I wonder if there is actually anyone who believes that the ENEMY is in the position to determine 'coolness'. The only thing that interests me about this tabloid is its online forum, because it's fun and a good place to share music. I don't even click on the main page, I go straight to the forum. Apart from a few kids who think that OMG LOLZ I luv d libz an artic monkeez r so fine!!!, most posters there don't read the mag at all, and, ironically, they consider the magazine itself very 'uncool'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom