LIHS review 3*s - The Scotsman

But it's not about Brexit, is it, according to the unthinking drones here. ... So, if you didn't think that the man who called Nigel Farage a Liberal educator, who was disappointed that Anne-Marie Waters didn't become UKIP's leader, is railing against the blackening of Britain...how much more evidence do you need of his real feelings? How much more? Maybe you like to keep giving money to a bigot. But don't just take my word for it, or this particular reviewer, or the Nordbuzz reviewer,

And many more seasoned reviewers see no link to Brexit as well as many reasonable posters on here. Hardly "unthinking drones".
Your arguments also are reduced by your lying.
M never mentioned being "disappointed" about Ms Waters.
You rewrite your own Moz history stating you havent liked anything by him since 2004.Another lie.
And finally you act like a wee sweetie wife passing on second hand gossip about his personal life.

Horseshit. The thought process was 'how can I say I don't like black faces on the streets of Britain while not actually saying that'. By the way, I see you changed your pro to anti.
Again,stating your BELIEFS as fact.
Crazy

Horseshit.

Charming.

The thought process was 'how can I say I don't like black faces on the streets of Britain while not actually saying that'.

Says who? Your reading is subjective and I can't see how it hangs together when you look at the lyrics. How does the "singing to my lover at night" line fit? Or the "no script, no crew, no autocue" line? Or the "effect of sexual neglect"? I did wonder myself if this was similar to the National Front Disco and Morrissey was examining Brexit through a character study - but even if he is writing about Brexit and portraying the UK as a drag artist in decline, why is the portrayal so negative? Why is the exit/Brexit a bad thing for Jacky? Who has Jacky/the UK lost in the first place? And why would he write so openly and directly about Israel and then in code about Brexit?

The idea that "blacker than ever before" is a racial comment is, as Bluebirds says, frankly ridiculous. It reminds me of when the NME claimed songs like Rusholme Ruffians were potentially racist. The section you quote is clearly meant to be the interior monologue of Jacky - but filtered though Morrissey's self-portrait. I would read it as something like:

"Cue lights! I am singing to my lover at night! (Initially happy with their "lover"...)
Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go! (Everybody you become close to leaves eventually - a common theme)
Scene Four: Blacker than ever before! (Their mood/depression worsens/blackens as a result - another common theme)
Scene Six: This country is making me sick!" (See The Queen Is Dead, etc. Well, he's been saying this for thirty years - and has been vocal in his disapproval of Cameron and May more recently)

By the way, I see you changed your pro to anti.

Typos happen and then people correct them, what's your point?

The song is about whatever you want it to be about - 'death of the author' and all that. That said, in my personal opinion, the Brexit reading seems to be reaching quite a bit - but if that's how you chose to interpret the lyrics, knock yourself out.

Ultimately, no reading is going to be provably 'right' or 'wrong'. Even if Morrissey came out tomorrow, and said it had nothing to do with Brexit, people could say he was lying (or that as the artist, his opinion doesn't matter anyway).

Seriously, is it really appropriate for a moderator to harangue and insult the users of the website they are moderating? Calling the people who populate this site "unthinking drones" is name-calling and disrespectful to the very users they are supposedly overseeing. (It also implies there are thinking drones out there which, of course, makes zero sense!)

When I made a perfectly reasonable response - to them charmingly branding my comments "horseshit" - rather than answer any points I raised, they simply replied by rating my response as trolling. Oh, the irony. Now, I always thought a moderator was there precisely as some kind of safeguard against the internet culture of bullying and insults, to limit and curb it, not to wilfully join in and instigate it themselves and generally behave like a petulant toddler.

But it seems we are in a crazy situation here where the site is actually being moderated by a troll - or trolled by a moderator. Whichever way you want to l0ok at it, the only conclusion to draw is they are not fit for purpose.

Seriously, is it really appropriate for a moderator to harangue and insult the users of the website they are moderating? Calling the people who populate this site "unthinking drones" is name-calling and disrespectful to the very users they are supposedly overseeing. (It also implies there are thinking drones out there which, of course, makes zero sense!)

When I made a perfectly reasonable response - to them charmingly branding my comments "horseshit" - rather than answer any points I raised, they simply replied by rating my response as trolling. Oh, the irony. Now, I always thought a moderator was there precisely as some kind of safeguard against the internet culture of bullying and insults, to limit and curb it, not to wilfully join in and instigate it themselves and generally behave like a petulant toddler.

But it seems we are in a crazy situation here where the site is actually being moderated by a troll - or trolled by a moderator. Whichever way you want to l0ok at it, the only conclusion to draw is they are not fit for purpose.

Grow a pair. I'm a user like anyone else here, and I say what I like.

I don't need the approbation of a nobody.

Again,stating your beliefs as facts . You lie on here.
Why should anyone have any respect for anything you post?

Seems like you are a lover spurned. So so so into The Smiths and M( obsessively so)
and then the love sours and turns into hatred (again of the obsessive kind).
I suggest a divorce and a clean break .

Charming.

Says who? Your reading is subjective and I can't see how it hangs together when you look at the lyrics. How does the "singing to my lover at night" line fit? Or the "no script, no crew, no autocue" line? Or the "effect of sexual neglect"? I did wonder myself if this was similar to the National Front Disco and Morrissey was examining Brexit through a character study - but even if he is writing about Brexit and portraying the UK as a drag artist in decline, why is the portrayal so negative? Why is the exit/Brexit a bad thing for Jacky? Who has Jacky/the UK lost in the first place? And why would he write so openly and directly about Israel and then in code about Brexit?

The idea that "blacker than ever before" is a racial comment is, as Bluebirds says, frankly ridiculous. It reminds me of when the NME claimed songs like Rusholme Ruffians were potentially racist. The section you quote is clearly meant to be the interior monologue of Jacky - but filtered though Morrissey's self-portrait. I would read it as something like:

"Cue lights! I am singing to my lover at night! (Initially happy with their "lover"...)
Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go! (Everybody you become close to leaves eventually - a common theme)
Scene Four: Blacker than ever before! (Their mood/depression worsens/blackens as a result - another common theme)
Scene Six: This country is making me sick!" (See The Queen Is Dead, etc. Well, he's been saying this for thirty years - and has been vocal in his disapproval of Cameron and May more recently)

Typos happen and then people correct them, what's your point?

Even the genius lyrics page skinny quotes says that blacker shouldn't be taken as a reference to skin color. I do wonder what film it's talking about

Whatever insults he throws your way just remind yourself that he's the one who spends his free time stalking a fan site of an artist he loathes. And that anger or annoyance will soon turn to pity.

Last edited:
If you look at Morrissey's recent lyrics - especially 'World Peace' - you'll see that he is increasingly enamoured of rhymes - the more rhymes he can get within a line the better (hence things like "On the coastal shore I'm sure you'd breakdown if you saw", or "Standing at the stone of one of our own/ he took the plug and he hit the rug"

As such, my gut feeling is that there is no real clever hidden meaning for the name 'Jacky', other than the fact that it rhymes with 'happy' - as such, it fits the line a lot better than Susan, Reginald, Barbara etc would.

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on The Stage" – have you ever felt like that in your life, or is that pure fiction?

It's factual! I didn't ever feel destined for the clergy, for example.

Case closed. It's about Brexit. ;)

Back
Top Bottom