LIHS review 3*s - The Scotsman

"Everyone who comes must go" makes me think about "my life is a succession of people saying goodbye" and other songs about the same topic. "Blacker than ever before" seems to be about depression, like "black is how I feel in the inside". "This country is making me sick" is probably about USA on account of the presidential election and the lack of true alternatives. Maybe it's related to watching the news and feeling bad about them, too. The results of Brexit election didn't disgust Morrissey, so why should he feel sick about Brexit? During the last interview with Larry King he said he loves playing live shows, then it's obvious he's happy when he is up on the stage.

Well, that's my personal interpretation and it's similar to the interpretation of some other people here, but for every song in the world there are many different interpretations. The song is on the air, when you listen to it, it's not Morrissey's song anymore, it's a little yours too and your mind and your soul both complete the meaning. That's why people like some artists more than others, some songs more than others.

Again, agreed. Morrissey has used the word 'black' as a metaphor for depression many many times throughout his career, either in song or in interviews, yet there are some numpties on this site who would have you believe this is now a racist connotation. I've also got a kinda failed drag queen vibe off Jacky as well. Nothing in the lyrics to back this up, but it kinda reminds me of Arthur Kane (RIP) making 50 bucks a night and a bottle of meths dressed up in drag playing in a New York Dolls tribute band. probably the punky chorus at the end that gives off that vibe to me.

EDIT: Looking at the cover art with the fishnet stockings and the transparent plastic sheet for a top also reminds me of the type of strange get-ups Kristeen Young used to wear and who I've always thought this song was about.

Lol who's that?
Just an emote used on Twitch. Thought I would *try* and lighten the mood a bit.

kappa_med_res-675134d074d8d9a30997a2923c78152e03827eb7452f141e39712eccec8ad2fa.jpg

Just remember, to the people possibly still in denial about his political views, you are just putting off the inevitable. It's ok to be incorrigible :thumb:

Well, in that case, I am sure you wouldn’t mind if I ignore your post or the positive, or, negative implications of being incorrigible.
But, wait a minute, that’s exactly what you are advising. I don’t want to follow your advise.
So I decide to be corrigible.
BUT I DON’T WANNA BE CORRIGIBLE !! :head-smack:

Well, in that case, I am sure you wouldn’t mind if I ignore your post or the positive, or, negative implications of being incorrigible.
But, wait a minute, that’s exactly what you are advising. I don’t want to follow your advise.
So I decide to be corrigible.
BUT I DON’T WANNA BE CORRIGIBLE !! :head-smack:

Corrigible means - PARTY TIME!!!

75d.png

But it's not about Brexit, is it, according to the unthinking drones here. Which puts the lyric in the song "Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go! Scene Four: Blacker than ever before! Scene Six: "This country is making me sick!" into even darker focus, especially the line about 'blacker than ever before'. So, if you didn't think that the man who called Nigel Farage a Liberal educator, who was disappointed that Anne-Marie Waters didn't become UKIP's leader, is railing against the blackening of Britain...how much more evidence do you need of his real feelings? How much more? Maybe you like to keep giving money to a bigot. But don't just take my word for it, or this particular reviewer, or the Nordbuzz reviewer, or ...anyone...

https://genius.com/Morrissey-jackys-only-happy-when-shes-up-on-the-stage-lyrics

Morrissey was in a relationship with someone called Jake Owen Walters. Jake - Jak E

"Cue lights! I am singing to my lover at night" - Jake
"Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go!" - Jake leaves
"Scene Four: Blacker than ever before!" - Morrissey's depression is worse than ever.
"Scene Six: "This country is making me sick!" - He's sick of this country. Wherever that is. If this is what Morrissey is saying then it reminds me of Scandinavia. Except in that song, Morrissey or someone was sick of Scandinavia (see lyrics below) until they met someone and fell in love.

Another line from Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage:

"Living bodies that actually move" - Not photographs. Jake was/is a photographer http://www.jakewalters.com/#/bio

"Scandinavia"

I was bored in a fjord

And I curse the heart and soul
Of Scandinavia

Let the people burn
Let their children cry and die
In blind asylums

But then you came along
And you held out your hand
And I fell in love with you
And Scandinavia

I kiss the soil
I hug the soil
I eat the soil
And I praise the God who made you

Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia
Unprotesting I'll die in Scandinavia

Pinned to a crime in Trondheim
I despise each syllable In Scandinavia

Let the people burn
Let their children cry and die
In blind asylums

But then you came along
And you held out your hand
And I fell in love with you
And Scandinavia

I kiss the soil
I hug the soil
I eat the soil
And I praise the God who made you

Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia
Unprotesting I'll die in Scandinavia

Last edited by a moderator:
Blood fooking bloomin' onion! Why do I come here? It's a sickness.

Jake was Steve's male P.A., just like Damon is now. Jake was not his gay lover. Jake is married to a woman, lives in the Midwest, eats at McDonalds, and shops at Walmart.

Blood fooking bloomin' onion! Why do I come here? It's a sickness.

Jake was Steve's male P.A., just like Damon is now. Jake was not his gay lover. Jake is married to a woman, lives in the Midwest, eats at McDonalds, and shops at Walmart.

Any of that true? Besides, it wouldn't have to be a sexual relationship. Losing a close friend is awful. Having said that the lyric states that it's a lover.

Is this garbage then? https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/17/morrissey-describes-first-relationship

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of that true? Besides, it wouldn't have to be a sexual relationship. Losing a close friend is awful.
I wouldn't know, I have no friends...:tears:

Where is it?
The party I mean.
In the next world? :rolleyes:
Well, it started in the early hours of the 24th June 2016. The party then morphed into a rave about March 2017, it got too messy and most left, except for a few stragglers. Rumour has it, they are looking for a bigger venue as people are looking to return and many more wish to join... :brows:

"Jacky" is obviously an account of the Illuminati told from the perspective of an English pop singer. Like songs, the Illuminati, the "scenes", are everywhere. It's so insidious that only men wearing genuine artificial cat heads to amplify the signal from the CIA can understand what this track is really about. There's a rage in the blood indeed. Tinfoil hats unite and take over!

But it's not about Brexit, is it, according to the unthinking drones here. Which puts the lyric in the song "Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go! Scene Four: Blacker than ever before! Scene Six: "This country is making me sick!" into even darker focus, especially the line about 'blacker than ever before'. So, if you didn't think that the man who called Nigel Farage a Liberal educator, who was disappointed that Anne-Marie Waters didn't become UKIP's leader, is railing against the blackening of Britain...how much more evidence do you need of his real feelings? How much more? Maybe you like to keep giving money to a bigot. But don't just take my word for it, or this particular reviewer, or the Nordbuzz reviewer, or ...anyone...

Who's the unthinking drone here? Like many others has posted above, why would Morrissey sing about "this country" making sick, since he clearly approves of Brexit? It just doesn't make sense. I don't approve of Morrissey's political views, but not everything he writes about is about them. Black is a common word when talking about depression, i. e. "black dog" -- do you think that Black Cloud is a racist song too?

Who's the unthinking drone here? Like many others has posted above, why would Morrissey sing about "this country" making sick, since he clearly approves of Brexit? It just doesn't make sense. I don't approve of Morrissey's political views, but not everything he writes about is about them. Black is a common word when talking about depression, i. e. "black dog" -- do you think that Black Cloud is a racist song too?
I would think it was possibly written more about the UK at first, and then Brexit happened, and was able to add that element of it too? Just an idea :)

Don't be so bloody willfully ignorant. The Black in Black Cloud is not entrenched in a lyric with manifest other meaning.

Well, I can see Exit rhymes with Brexit. And I can see the name Jacky echoes the Union Jack. But the lyric really doesn't lend itself to this reading. Even if it did, the audience heading for the exit (Brexit) is portrayed as a bad thing for Jacky (the UK): therefore Brexit is bad for Britain. Which would make it an anti-Brexit song actually.

If Morrissey wrote a song about Brexit you would know about it. On an album where every other song is very politically direct it seems strange he would write an ambiguous and oblique song about Brexit. If anything the lyric reads as an autobiographical comment, a somewhat unflattering portrait of himself.

But then clearly I am an "unthinking drone" for thinking this...

Horseshit. The thought process was 'how can I say I don't like black faces on the streets of Britain while not actually saying that'. By the way, I see you changed your pro to anti.

Do you genuinely think blacker in this context is racial? Ffs. How do you ask for your coffee white or with milk?

Yes. Yes I do. FFS.

For the second time:

Morrissey was in a relationship with someone called Jake Owen Walters. Jake - Jak E
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/17/morrissey-describes-first-relationship

"Cue lights! I am singing to my lover at night" - Jake
"Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go!" - Jake leaves
"Scene Four: Blacker than ever before!" - Morrissey's depression is worse than ever.
"Scene Six: "This country is making me sick!" - He's sick of this country. Wherever that is. If this is what Morrissey is saying then it reminds me of Scandinavia. Except in that song, Morrissey or someone was sick of Scandinavia until they met someone and fell in love.

Another line from Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage:

"Living bodies that actually move" - Not photographs. Jake was/is a photographer http://www.jakewalters.com/#/bio

Back
Top Bottom