Lifted from Marr?

I love this site for these kind of discussions, it introduces me to so many different tunes.

When Dog on a Chain came out, I remember someone on here (not sure who) pointed out the similarities between What kind of people... and The Big Country by Talking Heads. The likeness is fantastic though I'm not making accusations of theft, I just enjoy the similarities.

As the OP here, I'm very grateful for this thread being picked up again and appreciate all the recent comments re Cemetry Gates, Oboe Concerto etc.

A comment re:
It might be a bit too similar, in my opinion. the new song is pleasant enough, but every time I listen to it, I'm reminded of 'Cemetry Gates', which is a far better song, and I'm not 100% sure that's a good thing.

Yes. Hold on using the outro works very well, I think. Not sure it does here, but want to hear studio version.

But what I would be most interested in is not lifting from or re-hashing Smiths songs—but lifting from Marr's post-Smiths work.

For example, some people here have thought What Kind of People reworks Sexuality by Marr/Bragg (?)

I don't know if it does or not.

But if Morrissey were ever to lift from Marr's later work, it would be, I suppose, the closest thing we will ever see to a Morrissey-Marr reunion.

Would be very interested and grateful to hear if anyone thinks Morrissey has ever lifted from Marr's later work.

Back
Top Bottom