Lifeguard On Duty & Happy Lovers United on upcoming bootleg LP

so out of curiosity, can we recap the "known" unreleased songs?

I am aware of:
The Viva Hate Demos
Fantastic Bird (from southpaw reissue)
You should Have Been Nice to Me(from southpaw reissue)
honey you know where to find me(from southpaw reissue)
striptease
oh phoney
picadilly palare (extended)
nov the 2nd
Reader Meet Author Demo
Interlude (Moz only)
Why don't you find out for yourself (Alternate)
Sweetie Pie (Alternate)
Born to hang
please help the cause against lonliness

What else am I missing? I just learned about Lifeguard on Duty and Happy Lovers United. I also know of Kit.

The songs I have heard myself (and no I don't have them, the person just let me hear them) were on a tape that other people on here have heard also.
There was a discussion about this tape probably a little over a year ago on here. Anyway the tape I heard consisted of these songs..

Kit (with Moz vocals)
It's hard to walk tall (97 recording)
No one can hold a candle (97 recording)
I know who I love
Hanratty
Dennis cockall song (early version of swallow on my neck)
Fantastic Bird
Belfast
Lifeguard on duty
Happy lovers
Safe warn lancashire home
Kill uncle (rough demo with Morrissey coughing)

The songs I have heard myself (and no I don't have them, the person just let me hear them) were on a tape that other people on here have heard also.
There was a discussion about this tape probably a little over a year ago on here. Anyway the tape I heard consisted of these songs..

Kit (with Moz vocals)
I know who I love
Hanratty
Fantastic Bird
Belfast
Lifeguard on duty
Happy lovers

Where was this tape heard? Who has it? Who played it etc?

I want a copy

Kit (with Moz vocals)
I know who I love
Hanratty
Fantastic Bird
Belfast
Lifeguard on duty
Happy lovers

This, of course, raises the question: does anybody have copies of any of these that they would be willing to share? (sans LOD and HLU)

-Lucas

Perhaps now that Morrissey is out of a record contract he might accept EMI offers to re-release his back catalogue with bonus material. These songs would surely make it on expanded editions of "Viva Hate" or "Bona Drag". My dream would be for EMI to do with Morrissey what they did with the Radiohead back catalogue: each album a 2cd+DVD boxset. CD1 = regular album, remastered, cd2 = all b-sides and radio sessions etc, DVD = all videos and some tv appearances from the era. Inside the boxset are also cards showing the artwork from the album's single.

Stephane

I'd second that dream. EMI has always been creative with their releases, issuing many, even weird formats like shaped picture discs (also as a CD!) and the 'cigarette-boxes' for the re-release of the Morrissey and - errm - Marillion singles were also not standard. The Radiohead 'legacy' was shadowed by a bit too extentive cash-cowing and it was against the Band wishes... nevertheless, if Morrissey could arrange such a reissue deal with EMI - would be great!

I'm really exited about Morrissey's next move. After being 'officially unhappy' in the past with a) EMI, b) Warner and c) Universal he rans out of mayor players in the record buisiness. Sony seems to be the last in line if he wants a worldwide partner (they reissured Southpaw Grammar - maybe that's a start).

Or he launches finally his own label. Shall we start a new thread and give suggestions for a name ;) ?

I'm also curious to those who possess these songs would your withholding of them continue after Morrissey retires? I would hope that you give us these recordings then at least.

Kit (with Moz vocals)
I know who I love
Hanratty
Fantastic Bird
Belfast
Lifeguard on duty
Happy lovers

Right at the moment I would be quite satisfied to hear some more detailes about those songs from the „cassette listeners“ themselves. I do not recall details or threads about f.e. the songs „Kill Uncle“ (with MOZ coughing:lbf:) and the dearly awaited „I know who I love“ other than Mark Nevins quote „Half of a song“ & the MOJO (I guess) comment on „I know who I love“ which says it would sound a bit uptempo-jangling like „Alma matters“.

Please comment or I have to ask Morrissey himself in Düsseldorf next Thursday. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The tape I heard was from a friend of mine who I visited in Manchester in 05.
My friend got the tape from one of the past band members, (Not Alan).
The song Kill Uncle was a demo not fully finished. It was more or less them recording a practice and they were arranging that song. They had two verses and the chorus and were working on the third verse. When I said Morrissey coughing it was during the the second verse and he coughed a little. Like I said, it was a recording of a practice. They were just seeing how the verse and chorus would work together. Not really a whole song.

I'm also curious to those who possess these songs would your withholding of them continue after Morrissey retires? I would hope that you give us these recordings then at least.
I don't have them. Like I said, I only heard them from a friend when I was on vacation.

For me, this sounds very intersting. Thanx a lot.
I always loved the anachronistic sound of „Kill Uncle“ and wondered how the half finished title track would sound like?
Comments on the other important lost ones are also welcome (Hanratty, Kit) if you (and the others) are able to find the time.

Last edited:
"I don't have them. Like I said, I only heard them from a friend when I was on vacation."

Oh I wasn't really implying you. I was more wondering about Stephane for example.

hmmmm

"I don't have them. Like I said, I only heard them from a friend when I was on vacation."

Oh I wasn't really implying you. I was more wondering about Stephane for example.

Stephane values friendship and trust from the people who gave him those stuff.

All of us benefit from his site passionjustlikemine.com, don't ask him too much.

Re: hmmmm

All of us benefit from his site passionjustlikemine.com, don't ask him too much.

So in other words: if a person has possession of something they really are not entitled to have other than through sheer luck or kindness; (i.e. unfinished or unreleased copies of an artist's music given to them by someone close, either personally or professionally, to the artist himself, probably without permission from said artist, hence the strict confidentiality), then we should not ask that person to bestow the same kindness and luck on us fellow fans as was bestowed on them.

Right, I got it.

Re: hmmmm

I understand where you are coming from there. I am simply asking it in terms of a post-Mozz retirement scenario. I know that the argument for doing so at present has been done to death.

A leak is leaked on purpose i.e. to reach the masses. All someone has to do is register a fake name on here, publish a link to the songs, and no-one is the wiser.

Power goes to some people's heads. Unfortunately.

If a leak it is leaked, it is ultimately intended to be leaked to the masses, not kept amongst the few. I think it is quite sad and unfortunate when people withhold stuff.

But, whatever, if it is unreleased, it is unreleased for a reason. It obviously isn't worth releasing. Those who want these snippets will just have to wait till Mozzer dies.

While it's not leaked the only thing we can have is the "expectative".

I agree with Stephane: if he's under a vow everything is changed.

Back
Top Bottom