Liam Fray of The Courteeners talks about Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
From today's NME (yes, I know, I bought it just for this - for shame...):

NME - "What was it like going on tour with Morrissey? He's said some pretty nice things about you in the press..."

Liam Fray - "I remember the first time he came to watch us, at the Camden Barfly. I was outside with Conan (Moores, guitar) and Michael (Campbell, drums) while they were having a cigarette when this black cab pulled up and I just saw this silhouette of a quiff inside. Then he got out and I was like, 'f***ing hell! It's Morrissey!' After the gig he came down and had a beer with us. He's a f***ing top person. He's warm, really funny...I mean, he's quite a shy geezer, but he's also very engaging. It's crazy, sitting down and having a beer with one of the greats, if not The Great. But we're all just people aren't we? None of us are superhuman. Not all of us, anyway..."

I did try to scan the article, but it went tits-up. Sorry.

Peter

Nice. :) Thank you for posting this.

Thank you Peter for posting this.

But the thing i'll be pondering about is:

why is tits-up a bad thing?

Well, "tits up" means that something has died.

The mention of tits suggests it may be female.

It doesn't seem likely the tits would be mentioned unless they're exposed.

I guess whether the presence of a dead, half-naked female is a good or a bad thing depends on your personal preference.

Well, "tits up" means that something has died.

No, it doesn't. It means something hasn't gone according to plan / has gone wrong.

Unless, of course, you were trying to be funny with your little interpretation of the phrase. In which case, your attempt at humour definitely went tits-up.

No, it doesn't. It means something hasn't gone according to plan / has gone wrong.

Unless, of course, you were trying to be funny with your little interpretation of the phrase. In which case, your attempt at humour definitely went tits-up.

Miaow! Miaow! :ha-no::p

another liam wannabe.... YAWN.next.

I Dont think he is, it would be to much of a cliche for him to be. Liam fray actually has interesting stuff to say unlike most pop/rock stars these days

another liam wannabe.... YAWN.next.

Not in the slightest. Liam Gallagher and Liam Fray are on different levels when it comes to being frontmen. Just bc they use a lot of the same slang doesnt mean Fray is trying to be Gallagher. That just means they are both from Manchester and grew up around the same things.

"A shy geezer" :lbf:

I hope Morrissey is busy scouting the Camden Barfly's for the next round of support for future tours. :pray:

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new album in just over a week.

They did one hell of a gig at the GMEX in December.

Looking forward to the new album in just over a week.

They did one hell of a gig at the GMEX in December.

I believe they did. I was there...but don't remember much:o (MozsupportsRovers told me a day later that he saw me there, so at least I know I was there:eek:)

Jukebox Jury

I believe they did. I was there...but don't remember much:o (MozsupportsRovers told me a day later that he saw me there, so at least I know I was there:eek:)

Jukebox Jury

Yeah you were there jj, I'm not suprised you can't remember you were hammered:thumb:

The drummer's view on Mozzer,

"MC: When we first met him, he came to see our gig at the Barfly in Camden Town [London]. We were just outside unloading our gear and he turned up and said, “Are you any good?” and we were like, “Yeah, come and have a listen.” We didn’t know he was coming. He came in, stood at the back and had a listen. We went down to the dressing room – the worst one we’ve ever been in, and we’ve been in some pretty bad ones…think of the room your boiler’s in at home, it was like that, and with a pungent smell as well! – and Morrissey came in and said, “That was really good.”

We asked him if he wanted a beer but he opened up his coat and he had a bottle of Becks in his inside pocket! He was a perfect gent – a really nice bloke, personable, funny and we got on really well with him. He invited us to America for six weeks to support him, which was a huge honour for us because we love The Smiths and we’d never been to America before. It was a dream come true. Amazing.

Interviewer: I just can’t imagine Morrissey standing at the back of the Barfly drinking a bottle of Becks!
MC: He didn’t stand with the people, he stood in the lighting box! (Laughs) I thought that was well cool."

:D

The new album got good review today. Saying the promising start has been followed by real development in style and content.

Tags
every thread?
Back
Top Bottom