Lets talk about Southpaw

It's definitely one of his best songs; I don't think he did anything wrong between '92 and '95 and that song shows the best of what he and Alain were capable of together. The demo is fantastic too.

It's definitely one of his best songs; I don't think he did anything wrong between '92 and '95 and that song shows the best of what he and Alain were capable of together. The demo is fantastic too.

A problem I have with the demo is that the synth strings sound a little too close to “Cloudbusting” for me...

A problem I have with the demo is that the synth strings sound a little too close to “Cloudbusting” for me...

Damn. I've never been a huge Kate Bush fan but I've never disliked anything of hers either; just plain never got into her. Anyway for that reason I didn't know that song but I just played it. Definitely similar; no question. On purpose? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure Morrissey would never intentionally align himself with anything that was similar to Kate Bush, though...

Damn. I've never been a huge Kate Bush fan but I've never disliked anything of hers either; just plain never got into her. Anyway for that reason I didn't know that song but I just played it. Definitely similar; no question. On purpose? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure Morrissey would never intentionally align himself with anything that was similar to Kate Bush, though...

Explain Kristeen Young then.

Explain Kristeen Young then.

giphy.gif

LOL. That was my apparently poorly executed joke.

No, I understood...I just wanted you to explain it. Did he do it all for the nookie?

No; I doubt it. But I mean yeah I'm sure it was a factor. But who can f***ing say? There are allusions and clues in both of the works that they released after that period was over...but maybe that's just conjecture on my part. I don't f***ing know.

I think he saw something genuinely different in her and exciting and wanted to share it with/inflict it upon the masses. If there was a sexual component too, I don't see that it really mitigates or eclipses any less prurient motives. But honestly I have no idea.

No; I doubt it. But I mean yeah I'm sure it was a factor. But who can f***ing say? There are allusions and clues in both of the works that they released after that period was over...but maybe that's just conjecture on my part. I don't f***ing know.

I think he saw something genuinely different in her and exciting and wanted to share it with/inflict it upon the masses. If there was a sexual component too, I don't see that it really mitigates or eclipses any less prurient motives. But honestly I have no idea.

It could go either way. Lust and talent are both perception changers for a good number of people. Lust can take someone like Katy Perry and legitimize her as an artist to some. Just like “talent” can take someone like Ed Sheeran and make him a heart throb. I don’t know where Kristeen falls because she’s neither attractive or talented.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could go either way. Lust and talent are both perception changers for a good number of people. Lust can take someone like Katy Perry and legitimize her as an artist to some. Just like “talent” can take someone like Ed Sheeran and make him a heart throb. I don’t know where Kristeen falls because she’s neither attractive or talented.

I don't take issue with any of the logic in that argument but on a subjective level regarding Kristeen I do find her very attractive, but maybe that's just me. I don't know. Regarding her talent, her last few albums haven't done much for me but I like everything through Odd Onlookers. After that I don't know...a good moment or song occasionally but it mostly leaves me flat. I can't get through it. I tried to play Knife Shift and Witch's Tit and it sounds like all of the things she was always accused of being but never until those albums actually was.

I feel like she tries too hard anymore to be shocking...and the feminist shit is nauseating.

I don't take issue with any of the logic in that argument but on a subjective level regarding Kristeen I do find her very attractive, but maybe that's just me. I don't know. Regarding her talent, her last few albums haven't done much for me but I like everything through Odd Onlookers. After that I don't know...a good moment or song occasionally but it mostly leaves me flat. I can't get through it. I tried to play Knife Shift and Witch's Tit and it sounds like all of the things she was always accused of being but never until those albums actually was.

I feel like she tries too hard anymore to be shocking...and the feminist shit is nauseating.

I think it’s the nose. It doesn’t go with her face. Sometimes I see her and I’m not sure if I’m looking at her or the poster for ‘Roxanne’.

She’s the kind of person that ruins what seems to be a promising song simply for the purpose of being “artsy”...

[QUOTE="Old Mathew, post: 1987123706, member: 2853"But I recently bought the reissue CD and the liner notes make it clear that he sees that song as of a time and place, never to be repeated outside of the studio. I'm not sure he's said that about any other song, at least explicitly."

He never played the track "Southpaw" live, or did he?
Fascinating explanation.

[QUOTE="Old Mathew, post: 1987123706, member: 2853"But I recently bought the reissue CD and the liner notes make it clear that he sees that song as of a time and place, never to be repeated outside of the studio. I'm not sure he's said that about any other song, at least explicitly."

He never played the track "Southpaw" live, or did he?
Fascinating explanation.

I believe he never has: http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/songs/songs-southpaw.htm

once got into a brief conversation with him about Kate Bush, I told him that I thought he didn't like her voice, and he said that's not true, he asked if I knew her song 'Army Dreamers' , I said yes of course, he said it was his favorite. Think it may have even inspired ' I bury the living'.

once got into a brief conversation with him about Kate Bush, I told him that I thought he didn't like her voice, and he said that's not true, he asked if I knew her song 'Army Dreamers' , I said yes of course, he said it was his favorite. Think it may have even inspired ' I bury the living'.

Think Buffy Sainte Marie is the more obvious source of inspiration for "I bury the living".
But Army Dreamers is a very beautiful song too.

obvious? don't know. Think they both tackle the subject in a very emotionally charged way, strong and to the point, angered and sad. I always get chills when I listen to 'Army Dreamers'.

I said obvious because Buffy Sainte Marie opened for him during his 2015 UK tour and he has mentioned his love for her songs at several occasions.

Back
Top Bottom