Let's talk about Morrissey's compilations

It's a singles compilation. Just because it sounds good and flows well doesn't change this fact.

I think there are two compilations every fan should own. The first is Bona Drag. It brings together those quirky little singles. Remember when they were released one after the other with those fantastic videos by Tim Broad? The second is My Early Burglary Years, which includes "At Amber", which is found nowhere else.

Let's face it, he's had quite the compilation-heavy discography - for various reasons. Some are great, some not so great, and some are just a bit wtf to be honest. I did like that he included Rare Tracks in his recent rankings though and yet chose to give the cold shoulder to quite a few others.

I grew up with stuff like World Of which is all but forgotten really, and it's not a proper best-of but is of the Bona Drag school I suppose.

Also The Best Of: 'Suedehead' was very good although I accept it was without his blessing etc. etc.

I suppose though that Greatest Hits is the definitive document but I really would like an updated all comprehensive compilation with lavish vinyl reissues etc.

Anyway, that's my brain fart for tonight.
Bona Drag has November Spawned A Monster, Disappointed & Ouija Board.....I've never gotten bored of the songs on there

I think there are two compilations every fan should own. The first is Bona Drag. It brings together those quirky little singles. Remember when they were released one after the other with those fantastic videos by Tim Broad? The second is My Early Burglary Years, which includes "At Amber", which is found nowhere else.
It's bizarre that the B sides to Piccadilly Palare didn't make it onto Bona Drag.

The only downside to 'Bona Drag' is that it contains the shorter, edited version of 'Will Never Marry'. That always sticks in my craw slightly whenever I listen to it.

Bona Drag now has a longer version of Piccadilly Palare. That’s How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me were released on Greatest Hits before they were album tracks on Years of Refusal which always seemed odd.

That’s How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me were released on Greatest Hits before they were album tracks on Years of Refusal which always seemed odd.
What was even more bizarre, is the presumption of calling it a 'Greatest Hits' album, when at the time of release 'All You Need is Me' hadn't even been issued as a single! That whole period is pretty bizarre. I seem to remember the release date of 'Years of Refusal' was delayed for some reason?

To me that 'Greatest Hits' album always had the whiff of a contractual obligation album, rather than anything that was actually needed. Same with 'World Of Morrissey' - I'm suspect the only reason that came out was because Moz still owed EMI one more album after 'Vauxhall' and was trying to offer them any old tat at that point to be done with it and move on to another label.

Agree and I would add Swords to get several more recent gems. Even if you have everything on it it’s a convenient way to listen.

The only downside to 'Bona Drag' is that it contains the shorter, edited version of 'Will Never Marry'. That always sticks in my craw slightly whenever I listen to it.
And why on earth did he not add the longer version of Will Never Marry to the Bona Drag reissue when he had the chance?

And why on earth did he not add the longer version of Will Never Marry to the Bona Drag reissue when he had the chance?

Probably felt it was too long of course.

At Amber, and Sister should have made the cut. I wonder if Morrissey just wanted it to be a collection of recent singles after the idea of a proper studio album fell through, and thinking it may have been at the company’s insistence that Suedehead and Everyday be included so as to market it as a solo comp, and of course attract buyers ( not super fans) that were already familiar with those two songs.

Last edited:
'My Early Burglary Years' is the only one worth bothering with, mainly on the grounds that it contains the majestic 'Nobody Loves Us' - his greatest solo song.

My hunch is he changed his mind about the woman's voice calling him 'Steven', so chopped the whole section out. Also remember at the same time on that reissue he edited 'Ouija Board ' to remove the section where it spells S-T-E-V-E-N.

So clearly at one point he was comfortable referring to his birth name, then got all weird about it again and wanted any references removed from the recordings. Which seems bizarre, but hey - it's Morrissey.

Also remember at the same time on that reissue he edited 'Ouija Board ' to remove the section where it spells S-T-E-V-E-N.
He edited that part out?! That’s weird.

He edited that part out?! That’s weird.
Only one "The table is rumbling"
Then:
"The glass is moving
"No, I was not pushing that time"
It spells : S.T.E.V.E.N
The table is rumbling
The glass is moving
"No, I was not pushing that time" :
P.U.S.H.O. double F."

All hacked out. About 42 seconds removed.
That reissue & choices around it still escapes a decent explanation :)
Regards,
FWD.

Only one "The table is rumbling"
Then:
"The glass is moving
"No, I was not pushing that time"
It spells : S.T.E.V.E.N
The table is rumbling
The glass is moving
"No, I was not pushing that time" :
P.U.S.H.O. double F."

All hacked out. About 42 seconds removed.
That reissue & choices around it still escapes a decent explanation :)
Regards,
FWD.
Yes, that’s bizarre.

My hunch is he changed his mind about the woman's voice calling him 'Steven', so chopped the whole section out. Also remember at the same time on that reissue he edited 'Ouija Board ' to remove the section where it spells S-T-E-V-E-N.

So clearly at one point he was comfortable referring to his birth name, then got all weird about it again and wanted any references removed from the recordings. Which seems bizarre, but hey - it's Morrissey.
I do like the extra verse we got with Palare but yeah I'm not a fan the short Ouija Board. Maybe he had to cut Ouija to make room for more Palare? Because it seems there was very little room to move tracks wise as there are barely any gaps when you listen to the album. Suedehead also has its intro cut.

Back
Top Bottom