Let's talk about Morrissey's compilations

Burglary Years! Of course! That’s a great compilation.

How do you know what most people here know?

Jesus. Since most people here aren't pro musicians, obviously they don't know too much about contracts and so on, and understandably so. Why do you want to be offended when there is nothing offensive?

Jesus. Since most people here aren't pro musicians, obviously they don't know too much about contracts and so on, and understandably so. Why do you want to be offended when there is nothing offensive?
You don’t need to be a pro-musician to understand record contracts. Anyone who has read a few Q Magazines will have a decent idea. I think you think too little of general music fans, and too much of the technicalities of the recording process.

And, please, don’t take the saviour Jesus Christ’s name in vain unless you own the bible master tapes.

One thing is for sure, most of these compilations have great pictures of Morrissey on their covers. Especially Greatest Hits , Very Best Of and
This is Morrissey .

I don't class Bona Drag as a compilation. Yes it's technically a compilation of singles, but those singles were for the most part not released on any of his albums apart from Viva Hate. I believe it was actually going to be an album but they for some reason unbeknownst to me went for the quick fire release of song after song. In my not very humble opinion I believe Bona Drag is his greatest collection of songs ever and I will never lump it in with the rest of his compilations.

Let's face it, he's had quite the compilation-heavy discography - for various reasons. Some are great, some not so great, and some are just a bit wtf to be honest. I did like that he included Rare Tracks in his recent rankings though and yet chose to give the cold shoulder to quite a few others.

I grew up with stuff like World Of which is all but forgotten really, and it's not a proper best-of but is of the Bona Drag school I suppose.

Also The Best Of: 'Suedehead' was very good although I accept it was without his blessing etc. etc.

I suppose though that Greatest Hits is the definitive document but I really would like an updated all comprehensive compilation with lavish vinyl reissues etc.

Anyway, that's my brain fart for tonight.
You forgot Now My Heart Is Full: An Introspective 1984 - 1994. I guess it wasn't an official release but I do remember seeing it for sale in the shops so I have no idea why it says Promotional sampler, not for sale.

Hmmm, Not For Sale... could be a good name for a Morrissey album?

R-2715614-1369452320-1616.jpg

As far as my favourite compilation goes it has to be My Early Burglary Years. The sleeve is sublime and it should have been released on vinyl.

Mi00OTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't class Bona Drag as a compilation. Yes it's technically a compilation of singles, but those singles were for the most part not released on any of his albums apart from Viva Hate. I believe it was actually going to be an album but they for some reason unbeknownst to me went for the quick fire release of song after song. In my not very humble opinion I believe Bona Drag is his greatest collection of songs ever and I will never lump it in with the rest of his compilations.
Have to agree. To me it was his second album and if it shared a song or two with “Viva Hate,” I didn’t mind. I thought it was probably something to do with UK editions and US editions and I was used to that.

But if I did count it, it would be my favorite.

Have to agree. To me it was his second album and if it shared a song or two with “Viva Hate,” I didn’t mind.
Huh? The reason it shares a song or two from Viva Hate is because it's a compilation of previously issued singles and B Sides. There was zero new material on it when it was released. The material was not recorded as a cohesive entity, but is pulled from several different sessions with different band lineups and producers, recorded over a three year period. Whichever way you slice it, it's 100% a compilation album, in exactly the same way that 'World of Morrissey' is.

Huh? The reason it shares a song or two from Viva Hate is because it's a compilation of previously issued singles and B Sides. There was zero new material on it when it was released. The material was not recorded as a cohesive entity, but is pulled from several different sessions with different band lineups and producers, recorded over a three year period. Whichever way you slice it, it's 100% a compilation album, in exactly the same way that 'World of Morrissey' is.
World Of Morrissey is a compilation of fourteen songs that had already appeared on other albums with the exception of the Boxers single and its two B sides. I guess I have to add Moon River also.

Bona Drag is a compilation of fourteen songs that had not appeared on any album previously with the exception of Suedehead, Everyday Is Like Sunday and their accompanying B sides (minus 2 from Suedehead). So unless you were an avid buyer of Morrissey's singles that's then eights songs you wouldn't own.

Yes of course I see the comparison, but one is compiled from album material and the other is from singles and B sides. I see a difference. Unfortunately we never really got a Bona Drag #2 where over a number of years Morrissey could've recorded new material in a similar vein with different artists and producers.

Now having said all that I am now going to listen to my favourite Morrissey album called Bona Drag ;)

I could see how the compilation Bona Drag could have been an exciting purchase if they didn’t already have the singles before, so I guess it would feel more like an album proper rather than a comp. Of course I bought it anyway on its release. When cds came in those long boxes.

I completely agree, I never understood why Bona Drag was not just released as an album, it is really my favorite album of his, I see it as one too

I could see how the compilation Bona Drag could have been an exciting purchase if they didn’t already have the singles before, so I guess it would feel more like an album proper rather than a comp. Of course I bought it anyway on its release. When cds came in those long boxes.
We never got those long boxes here. I was always a little jealous and had no idea what they were at first. I think I remember seeing a pic of Morrissey holding one of Your Arsenal.

Huh? Thanks for catching me up on some breaking thirty-two year old news but I was talking about my perception at the time. Also, I didn’t know “Kiill Uncle” was a bad record until about ten years later when I found out on the Internet.

Fancy! I had to make due with a cassette!

Huh? Thanks for catching me up on some breaking thirty-two year old news but I was talking about my perception at the time. Also, I didn’t know “Kiill Uncle” was a bad record until about ten years later when I found out on the Internet.
Gave me a good laugh!

I completely agree, I never understood why Bona Drag was not just released as an album, it is really my favorite album of his, I see it as one too
I think it also feels like it was written as an album even if it wasn't. It has something to do with how the track listing is laid out. It really doesn't sound like a "Compilation" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom