Let's talk about Morrissey's compilations

AtImber2022

Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Let's face it, he's had quite the compilation-heavy discography - for various reasons. Some are great, some not so great, and some are just a bit wtf to be honest. I did like that he included Rare Tracks in his recent rankings though and yet chose to give the cold shoulder to quite a few others.

I grew up with stuff like World Of which is all but forgotten really, and it's not a proper best-of but is of the Bona Drag school I suppose.

Also The Best Of: 'Suedehead' was very good although I accept it was without his blessing etc. etc.

I suppose though that Greatest Hits is the definitive document but I really would like an updated all comprehensive compilation with lavish vinyl reissues etc.

Anyway, that's my brain fart for tonight.

The first two Moz albums I heard was Maladjusted and Suedehead. So I’m naturally quite fond of the Suedehead compilation. But I also love the HMV/Parlophone 3 cd box set that came out in 2009. Oh, and Swords! Rare Tracks is obviously very cool as well. But a lot of his compilations feel very random.

'Bona Drag' and 'Swords' are decent, but most of them are just a waste of space that I never actually play. I finally drew the line and didn't even bothing buying 'This is Morrissey', as I knew I'd play it once, then put it in storage for the rest of my life.

I love Bona Drag

Most here don't know, but old-school record contracts (which Morrissey is very fond of, as we all know) include that the recordings (not the songs, but the actual recordings) are owned by the record company. A period can be set by the parties when the rights fall back tot he artist, otherwise they have the right to issue the songs as many times as they wish in as many format they wish. They don't even necessarily need to have the artist's input in a re-issue.

Keep this in mind regarding best ofs, greatest hits etc for any major artist.

I remember my brother giving me Suedehead: The Best of... on CD - it's what got me hooked (I think the cover helped). Hence, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thankfully, I managed to pickup a vinyl copy in a record shop a few years ago.

Last edited:
Never got This Is Morrissey. Some of the others I bought as completist or because I like the artwork or because some songs I only have on vinyl on those editions.

Bona Drag is arguably his greatest solo record when you think about it. Obviously (to me) Vauxhall is his greatest studio album.

Love Swords, but you can't go wrong with the HMV/Parlophone set; beyond that (with a few exceptions maybe) they're more or less reissue/repackaging of the same chocolate bar, but with different wrappers.

Most here don't know, but old-school record contracts (which Morrissey is very fond of, as we all know) include that the recordings (not the songs, but the actual recordings) are owned by the record company. A period can be set by the parties when the rights fall back tot he artist, otherwise they have the right to issue the songs as many times as they wish in as many format they wish. They don't even necessarily need to have the artist's input in a re-issue.
This may be the case in general, but I don't think this is something that has ever happenned to Morrissey. By my calcuation all the following were produced with Morrissey's involvement (which may explain some of the strange track choices):

• Bona Drag
  • World of Morrissey
  • Suedehead: The Best of Morrissey
  • My Early Burglary Years
  • The Best Of!
  • Greatest Hits
  • Swords
  • Very Best Of
  • This is Morrissey
Excluding things like promotional records, the only full-length compilation I'm aware of that he may have had nothing to do with, is the 'HMV/parlophone singles' collection.

swords is the best of the best of the best,love that collection of songs.

Keep this in mind regarding best ofs, greatest hits etc for any major artist.
How do you know what most people here know?

«Bona Drag» is my absolute favourite of the Morrissey compilations, but I’ve got a soft spot for »The Very Best Of» as well. It includes the Morrissey-only version of Interlude, without Siouxsie. I’ve got nothing against Siouxsie, but her spiky vocals sits rather uneasily alongside Morrisey’s beautiful vocals on this song.

Let's face it, he's had quite the compilation-heavy discography - for various reasons. Some are great, some not so great, and some are just a bit wtf to be honest. I did like that he included Rare Tracks in his recent rankings though and yet chose to give the cold shoulder to quite a few others.

I grew up with stuff like World Of which is all but forgotten really, and it's not a proper best-of but is of the Bona Drag school I suppose.

Also The Best Of: 'Suedehead' was very good although I accept it was without his blessing etc. etc.

I suppose though that Greatest Hits is the definitive document but I really would like an updated all comprehensive compilation with lavish vinyl reissues etc.

Anyway, that's my brain fart for tonight.
To me and a load of my friends the best M lp, is a complication LP. It was Bona Drag , For us, it's the perfect Morrissey LP - I suspect it was to Morrissey as well, which is why he gave that lp to Alan Bennett

Yes Bona Drag is my favorite complication too! Though it was supposed to be a proper record, so he did have some compilation with it.

To me and a load of my friends the best M lp, is a complication LP. It was Bona Drag , For us, it's the perfect Morrissey LP - I suspect it was to Morrissey as well, which is why he gave that lp to Alan Bennett

Yes Bona Drag is my favorite complication too! Though it was supposed to be a proper record, so he did have some compilation with it.
FYI: I used the ‘funny’ reaction thing, but it could be interpreted as sarcastic. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

“Let’s talk about Morrissey’s complications”

Back
Top Bottom